Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extracting DTS 5.1 Audio from VOB Files (Read 14737 times) previous topic - next topic

Extracting DTS 5.1 Audio from VOB Files

Alright, so I have some VOB files from a DualDisc that I'm trying to extract audio out of. I know how to extract the audio; my problem is the quality of audio that I'm getting. Unless I'm misinterpreting the information I get from MediaInfo, I should be able to get 96/24 DTS from these files. However, when I Demultiplex the DTS audio from the VOB files, I'm only able to get 48/16, not 96/24. So, why am I not able to extract the full audio? Is it some limitation on my Demux tool (I really don't think that's the issue, but it's the only thing I can think of)?

Reply #1
vobedit is horribly outdated.
Give PgcDemux or tsMuxer a spin.

Reply #2
vobedit is horribly outdated.
Give PgcDemux or tsMuxer a spin.

PgCDemux gives the exact same result. The weird thing is that it isn't supposed to. Or maybe it is, and I'm misreading the MediaInfo information.

Reply #3
It sounds like you've not ripped what you think you has.

Reply #5
Do you have any other DVD with a DTS-(MA?)-96kHz-track where the same problem occurs?

And another tool to try would be eac3to.

Reply #6
Take a look at how MediaInfo says the profile is "96/24 / Core". That DTS stream is a combination of a core DTS stream and an extension. The core contains 48kHz audio; all DTS decoders will be able to decode it by itself. The 96/24 extension allows a compatible decoder to produce 96 kHz 24-bit audio, but not all DTS decoders can decode the 96/24 extension. You are either using a demuxer that destroys extension data, or a decoder that does not understand the 96/24 extension.

Try using eac3to. If nothing else, it will at least be able to extract the DTS stream with all extensions intact. (It is probably also capable of decoding the full 96kHz 24-bit audio, but you may need to purchase a decoder for eac3to if libavcodec doesn't support that extension yet.)

Reply #7
I'm not sure that DTS 96/24 is supported by free codecs, but if you got the arcsoft dtsdecoderdll.dll file you can decode it and the DTS-HD variants with LAV filters. That file is available in the Total Media Theatre package.

Reply #8
Take a look at how MediaInfo says the profile is "96/24 / Core". That DTS stream is a combination of a core DTS stream and an extension. The core contains 48kHz audio; all DTS decoders will be able to decode it by itself. The 96/24 extension allows a compatible decoder to produce 96 kHz 24-bit audio, but not all DTS decoders can decode the 96/24 extension. You are either using a demuxer that destroys extension data, or a decoder that does not understand the 96/24 extension.

Try using eac3to. If nothing else, it will at least be able to extract the DTS stream with all extensions intact. (It is probably also capable of decoding the full 96kHz 24-bit audio, but you may need to purchase a decoder for eac3to if libavcodec doesn't support that extension yet.)

So I used eac3to with the Arcsoft Decoder. Here's my command line log:

eac3to v3.27
command line: eac3to  VTS_02_1.VOB+VTS_02_2.VOB full.dts -core
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VOB, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 1 subtitle track, 0:46:18
1: Joined VOB file
2: MPEG2, 480i60 /1.001 (4:3)
3: DTS-96/24, 5.1 channels, 1510kbps, 96kHz
4: Subtitle (DVD)
Track 3 is used for destination file "full.dts".
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[a03] Creating file "full.dts"...
Video track 2 contains 83280 frames.
eac3to processing took 28 seconds.
Done.

Yet I'm still faced with the same end result. 48/16. At this point, I don't see what I'm doing wrong. It's recognizing that it's 96/24, and it should be decoding as such, since Arcsoft is enabled. I'm obviously still doing something wrong, I just fail to see what that is.

Reply #9
You've told eac3to to demux instead of decode, and you've told it you only want the DTS core. That doesn't sound like what you want!

Try something more along these lines:

eac3to VTS_02_1.VOB+VTS_02_2.VOB full.flac

Reply #10
Well, I think just removing -core should be enough.
Why are you setting that command when you want the full DTS-stream?
The core DTS-stream will always be 48kHz/16bit, afaik.

Reply #11
You've told eac3to to demux instead of decode, and you've told it you only want the DTS core. That doesn't sound like what you want!

Try something more along these lines:

eac3to VTS_02_1.VOB+VTS_02_2.VOB full.flac

Yeah, not sure why I didn't think that one through with the core addition. My initial draw towards DTS was my thought that FLAC did not support multichannel audio. Yet FLAC's website says that it does,. In any case, I got my multichannel 96/24. Thanks friend, you've been of great help.