Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Music Advice for Crystal Method Fan (Read 5434 times) previous topic - next topic

Music Advice for Crystal Method Fan

I've seen Crystal Method mentioned around the forums and I thought, who else to ask about other great electronica?

I am always looking to expose myself to new music and given that this type of music is not typically played on the radio,  (not that I listen to music on the radio anyway), what do you all like to listen to?

I already listen to the Chemical Brothers,  Prodigy, and Daft Punk, but I'd like to know who else is good?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply #1
Check out Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Juno Reactor, Delerium to get you started.

And for something a little bit different check out Lemon Jelly, The Beta Band
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

Reply #2
I've seen Crystal Method mentioned around the forums and I thought, who else to ask about other great electronica?

I am always looking to expose myself to new music and given that this type of music is not typically played on the radio,  (not that I listen to music on the radio anyway), what do you all like to listen to?

I already listen to the Chemical Brothers,  Prodigy, and Daft Punk, but I'd like to know who else is good?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you like the style of the new Crystal Method CD, you may find KMFDM interesting. They're industrial, with a very electronic style. More focus on guitars, but lots of nifty electronic stuff as well.

Reply #3
The Crystal Method's my favourite band these days.  I like some Prodigy and a few Daft Punk songs myself. Maybe check these out:

Underworld ("Cowgirl" is my fave of theirs)

Chemical Brothers ("Hey Boy Hey Girl" "Denmark" "Out Of Control" "Galaxy Bounce")

Dirty Vegas (their "Throwing Shapes" is wicked, one of my favourite songs period. They did that "Days Go By" from a Mitsubishi car commercial not too long ago)

Groove Armada ("Chicago" "In My Bones")

The various flavours of electronica are, at least I find it to be, the hardest to find out what's good and what's not since the general exposure isn't that grand.  I'm also looking forward to any other suggestions from this thread.

<edit> whoops, you already said Chemical Brothers.

Reply #4
Perhaps check out Cygnus X, Timeshard, Source Direct, Fluke, Photek, Gearwhore.

<edit> ... and Eternal Basement, Spicelab, Spacetime Continuum, Intermix. </edit>

Reply #5
hi rizban,

i think you could like "fluke" their album "risotto" is pretty good. i recommend "leftfield" too. you could also like some "yello" stuff like "stella" (i like it )

regards; ilikedirt

well, fluke was allready mentioned 

Reply #7
The various flavours of electronica are, at least I find it to be, the hardest to find out what's good and what's not since the general exposure isn't that grand.  I'm also looking forward to any other suggestions from this thread.

Agreed. I like Goa and other psy-trance (and trip hop). Definately not something one hears on the radio in Oklahoma. If I hadn't had friends who burned CDs of stuff to get people interested, I would never have know it existed.

Now, I'm ordering CDs from Danish retailers (and I don't read Danish  ) trying to get the specific artists I want.

Reply #8
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Fluke and Orbital I have heard some of, and have liked what I heard.
I look foward to hearing some of this new music (for me).

Reply #9
A month ago, I never heard of Crystal Method, now they're popping up all over the place.
(Just added Community Service to my collection.)

Anyway, if you like them, check out: The Orb, Gus Gus, Paul Oakenfold, John Digweed,
Sasha and John Digweed, Paul van dyk.

And I too have probably bought at least a dozen CD's in the last 90 days
from stuff I heard that was "downloaded".  What was it the RIAA was bitchin about?

Dex

Reply #10
Add DJ Tiesto to the list....

I also dig The Alpha Conspiracy. He offered his CD Cipher online via mp3 but it was so good I went ahead and bought it. I believe he had to take it down after the bandwidth costs were as much as all the profits but there are still mirrors out there.

Download some and see if you like it. One of my audiophile snob coworkers said it was one of the best mixed CDs he's heard in awhile (for whatever that is worth)

(BTW, track 6, "Glass" is very interesting)

http://www.alphaconspiracy.com/alpha.html

He also does lots fo video games (like Freelancer)

Reply #11
Man . . . I almost forgot about the Alpha Conspiracy.  The last I heard of them, they
were working on there first CD.  The force behind AC is Andrew Sega who used to
produce some of the finest, (if not the best),  mod music files ever made,
under the name Necros, which later he reversed for Sorcen.

I've got a bunch of these files that I still listen to today.

If anybody else would like these, I could "zip" them up and make them available
on my webpage.

Forum Admins:  These were all released freely and openly by Andrew Sega and I believe
there's no copyright issues involved here.  Just to make sure, I'll fire off an email to
Andrew and confirm this before I make anything available.

But anyway, I'll definitely have to get the CD.

Thanks for reminding me of this wynlyndd!   

Dex

Reply #12
But anyway, I'll definitely have to get the CD.

Thanks for reminding me of this wynlyndd!   

It appears he will also have a track on the next release of Delerium "Chimera".

Reply #13
Way out West! They delve into mainly dancefloor-oriented progressive house & breaks, but have dabbled in downtempo, ambient and then some. They have an inimitable style and have left their mark on the 100+ artists they've remixed over the last decade (like Natalie Imbruglia, Orbital, Hybrid, Paul Van Dyk, BT, Kosheen, The Orb & Sunscreem to name a few).

Read more here: http://www.wowest.cc

Reply #14
...Orbital I have heard some of, and have liked what I heard.

Well, as I mentioned, the brown album is my favorite, so I highly recommend it. Also, the album In Sides, especially the bonus disc that has the 28 minute version of "The Box", which I still find amazing.  Snivilisation  is good too. My least favorite is the last album, The Altogether. It only has a few good songs.

The Orb...

My favorite is the first album, The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld. It might not be everyone's taste though, since it is a little on the ambient end of the electronica spectrum, but it is a great trip and includes "Little Fluffy Clouds" (!) Also good is u.f.orb, again for the bonus disc that has the 40 minute version of "Blue Room". :alien:

Rob

Reply #15
I also recommend Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin and Autechre (just wait 'till I get to the other letters of the alphabet ).

I actually expected these three names to pop up earlier in this thread.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #16
. . . but it is a great trip and includes "Little Fluffy Clouds" (!) Also good is u.f.orb, again for the bonus disc that has the 40 minute version of "Blue Room". :alien:

heh-heh . . . you mean U.F. OFF?   

I remember the first time, (not very long ago), I heard "Little Fluffy Clouds".
Me and a co-worker were driving cross-country.  I was driving, he was
handling "DJ" duties, and he put that song on.  My first reaction  was:
"What the heck is that!"  But . . . it grew on me fast.  My first intro
into The Orb.  Its been all uphill since.   

Dex

Reply #17
I also recommend Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin and Autechre

Autechre's "Incunabula" was my very first electronic music CD. Great stuff, an absolute classic. I find their newer material a list less accessable though, not as melodic.

Reply #18
I'd recommend the Propellerheads "Decksandrumsandrockandroll".  I'd say Vegas was TCM's best album and I've searched for similar bands, but never liked any that people suggested as being similar to TCM, but I'll keep this list in mind.