Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple Genres in FLAC/Vorbis Metdata With Media Playing Softwares (Read 1224 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple Genres in FLAC/Vorbis Metdata With Media Playing Softwares

Hello, the Vorbis spec allows to define multiple genre fields, like so:

Code: [Select]
     GENRE=Rock
     GENRE=Hard-Rock

I noticed that some software like VLC cannot handle multiple genres and concatenates the two strings into: Rock Hard Rock, with the only separator of a blank space.

The other software I use on Linux, the one called Lollypop, creates a separate genre folder for each one which I like. The album will show up if I click on the Rock folder or Hard Rock folder.
I'm not using Windows but I think smarter software like foobar2000 can handle multi genres as well. Am I right?

However the my main concern and question would be, does adding multiple genres in FLAC files can have any side effect other than some software will display some gibberish?

Re: Multiple Genres in FLAC/Vorbis Metdata With Media Playing Softwares

Reply #1
Quoting from Ogg Vorbis I format specification: comment field and header specification:

Field names are not required to be unique (occur once) within a comment header. As an example, assume a track was recorded by three well know artists; the following is permissible, and encouraged:
              ARTIST=Dizzy Gillespie
              ARTIST=Sonny Rollins
              ARTIST=Sonny Stitt

Your presumption ist correct. It depends on presenting in Software, and there are no other effects. Different player software will have different way of presenting field names which are not unique. I am using that feature for Genres, Styles, Artists, for example.