Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wma audio codec (Read 1736 times) previous topic - next topic

Wma audio codec

Hi,

I need details specification of wma audio codec which should include all wma profile with all the supported specification for each like bit rate, sample rate, bit depth, channels etc.
It would be really helpful if anyone can provide me the details.

Re: Wma audio codec

Reply #1
WMAEncode.exe --print-formats

Reply #2
Hi,

I need details specification of wma audio codec which should include all wma profile with all the supported specification for each like bit rate, sample rate, bit depth, channels etc.
It would be really helpful if anyone can provide me the details.

There are several WMA codecs, but the standard one is stereo/mono only, has a large number of bitrates over a similar range as mp3 and works up to 48khz. Lossy codecs don't have a bit depth.

The Pro version adds 5.1 sound, while the lossless version is lossless.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio#Codecs

Reply #3
WMA does have a bit depth, if you use the official Windows codecs, because the Microsoft original WMA decoder outputs 16 bits per sample, while touting one of the "advantages" of WMA Pro being that you can encode "24 bit" audio with it, which is total rubbish, they're both floating point formats internally.