Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSP not affecting sound, moved per TOS #6 (Read 2017 times) previous topic - next topic

DSP not affecting sound, moved per TOS #6

This is a continuation of the other thread, as a moderator rudely decided to close the thread and delete two of my posts where I asked some questions regarding the DSP functionality of the preamp.

Now what you guys have been saying is that features, no matter how many that have been implemented, are implemented using DSP and that DSP need not influence the sound. I would appreciate it if someone can explain that to me.

I've always been led to believe that stereo amps have fewer signals to process, hence the sonic purity will be less tarnished compared to an AVR that must handle all these movie formats, 3D, 4K, sound processing, room correction, additional channels etc etc. Please explain why this may not be the case.

Reply #1
Now what you guys have been saying is that features, no matter how many that have been implemented, are implemented using DSP and that DSP need not influence the sound. I would appreciate it if someone can explain that to me.

Digital signal processing is just computer code.  If you run it, it does something.  If you don't run it, it doesn't do something.

With that in mind, what exactly is your question?  Do you think that computer code might be run unconditionally?  Or that just having a computer nearby somehow causes problems?  Something else? 

I've always been led to believe that stereo amps have fewer signals to process, hence the sonic purity will be less tarnished compared to an AVR that must handle all these movie formats, 3D, 4K, sound processing, room correction, additional channels etc etc. Please explain why this may not be the case.

Short answer:  because thats not how computers work.

Long answer:  I have no idea how to answer this question without understanding something about what your mental model of what a computer does.  Maybe you could explain why you believe something like this?

Reply #2
Yahzi,

If you're looking to be convinced by clever rhetoric, you've come to the wrong place.

On the other hand, you could simply try something for yourself for less than the cost of a lot of entry-level audiophile interconnect cables: Behringer's DEQ2496 is one heck of a DSP incorporating A-D, D-A conversion, digital eq and a bunch of other handy toys. Bypass all but the eq, leave the eq settings flat and see if you can hear any difference at all when the unit is powered up versus when it's not (in which case it's in full bypass modes--in fact you can hear the relays click). Make sure you've got unity gain. Try and hear even the faintest blurring of details.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

Reply #3
Code: [Select]
if (direct_mode) {
    // we do nothing here
    // audio samples pass through the DSP unaltered
}
else {
    if (dolby_pro_logic) {
        // process stereo into 5.1, or 7.1 or even 9.1
    }
    if (room_correction) {
        // filter accordingly
    }
}

I do not know how to make this any simpler.

Processing is only done if enabled. The DSP doesn't execute all those processing branches if the user disabled them.

Compare this to an audio player with EQ, compressor, ReplayGain, and so on. As long as those features are disabled the output will be, as much as I hate the term, 'bit-perfect'.
"I hear it when I see it."