Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 48 -> 44.1 khz conversion quality settings in DVD2AVI / DGIndex (Read 2680 times) previous topic - next topic

48 -> 44.1 khz conversion quality settings in DVD2AVI / DGIndex

What resampling algortihms correspond to the different quality settings in DVD2AVI / DGIndex when downsampling from 48 to 44.1 khz?

Re: 48 -> 44.1 khz conversion quality settings in DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Reply #1
What resampling algortihms correspond to the different quality settings in DVD2AVI / DGIndex when downsampling from 48 to 44.1 khz?

I've got my doubts that you will receive an answer.  This sort of question is usually answered by the product's developler, and I don't know that he regularly posts here.

Furthermore, I question the value of the information you seek, because as a long time application developer, I know that as the old saying goes: "There is many a slip between the cup and the lip.",  meaning that the choice of algorithm is several steps removed from what you really probably want to know, which is actual performance.

The solution is to test the software, which can be fairly easy.  A good start is to use the freeware Audio Rightmark program in one of its standard modes, which is wherein it creates a file of test data for you to process as you will, and also will analyze the file once processed. It automagically runs a fairly complete suite of traditional audio tests, which is a good start , and brilliant for a freebie piece of software.   

If you want to take another  view of performance, check out the web site  Resampler tests and repeat their tests with the sampler and operational modes of your choice. The site already tests a bunch of resamplers, whose performance runs the gamut from great to laughable, so it gives you a lot to work with and compare.

Reply #2
But I want to know the algorithm.

Reply #3
I think it's just one algorithm - a FIR filter. If you want to know the coefficients then feed it an impulse and see what comes out.

Reply #4
But WHICH FIR filter is it? Box? Triangle? Cubic?

If you want to know the coefficients then feed it an impulse

I don't know what that means