Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_wave_seekbar (Read 813340 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1675
Ok, 0.2.40 is working fine. 0.2.41 is broken!

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1676
Dandruff: Please give 0.2.45 a try. I cannot reproduce the flickering spectrum indicator here anymore with it.

If this is the cause, division by near-zero is awesome.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1677
Yeah, 0.2.45 is working fine!

Thanks!

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1678
is there a way now, or can there be in the future, a way to lock the size of the WS panel, so that if i stretch foobar downwards to expand seeing the playlist, it doesnt also stretch the WS panel as well? once i adjust the height on the WS panel i pretty much never want it to be resized again, no matter how i expand foobars window downwards, tx

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1679
is there a way now, or can there be in the future, a way to lock the size of the WS panel, so that if i stretch foobar downwards to expand seeing the playlist, it doesnt also stretch the WS panel as well? once i adjust the height on the WS panel i pretty much never want it to be resized again, no matter how i expand foobars window downwards, tx

This is already working. A feature of foobar2000, not the component.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1680
In Default UI: Rightclick a splitter in Layout Editing mode and the context menu will allow you to lock the size of either half.
In Columns UI: Rightclick a pane in Live Editing mode and select Locked to lock the size of a pane.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1681
nevermind, I somehow failed to see Zao's post.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1682
thank you both for the response, and so quick.
wow, thats the first time i've seen the ability to rightclick on splits in a program, thats a fantastic option for a gui.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1683
Hey Zao.
Thank you very much for this most awesome component! My foobar-fun would be so much smaller without it.

I have one question/request though:

I want only the tracks in my media-library to be scanned, so I unchecked "Analyse tracks not in the media library" at the advanced settings. Only sometimes I want to see the waveform of a song that is not in the library. When it rightclick and select "Extract seekbar signature" nothing happens. I pretty sure that's because of the advanced settings. Would it be possible to override the 'Don't scan files not from the library'-setting and extract the signature if I force foobar to do it? Would help me a lot!

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1684
CmdRobot: Technically possible, but would require me to have "free time" and to think out how to properly do such an override.
Hold Shift/Ctrl/Meta while selecting the item?
Advanced preference to relax conditions when explicitly asking?
Additional context menu item to try harder?
What restrictions to lift, just the Media Library boundary or also things like ignored input types like CDDA while still banning HTTP?
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1685
You might be overthinking it, zao. What CmdRobot seem to be asking is for the rightclick (manual extract) option to function with block in place. It makes sense to restrict the automatic scanning to library items only, but if the user explicitly instructs the program to extract a signature, then it's obvious the user actually wants to see the waveform no matter the location.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1686
I agree.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1687
What I'm saying is that there's a corpus of users that expect that their preferences are honored even if they trigger an explicit scan.
This also includes things like not rescanning items that already exist, so that you can select-all your whole collection, extract, and not have unnecessary work done.

It's not overthinking if there's actual concerns from several camps. Whatever I choose to do, I'm going to suffer for an eternity for.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1688
But rescanning items that already exist do not fall under the category of "don't scan if not in library", at least I don't see how it does.
In this particular case all it does is make you go to preferences and untick that option, which imho is trying to be smarter than the user.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1689
The point is, there's users (including me) that expect that the things that an explicit scan does continues to be the things that an explicit scan would do.
If I change the default behaviour of an explicit scan to disregard that preference, you get silent misbehaviour.

Thus I rule out changing the default behaviour of the action, however wrong you may feel it is.
Now, do you have any input on how to properly achieve this?
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1690
Can't you just display the waveform without storing it in the database?

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1691
Dandruff: With the current codebase. No. Probably not. Most of it should be purged with fire.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1692
- "don't rescan files with present waveforms" checkbox for those who select multiple tracks, if that's the scenario you described
- "don't scan files outside of media library" as we currently have
- "allow manual (re-)scan" checkbox (disabled by default)

should preserve current behavior and allow people to customize. Unless I'm missing something.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1693
Maybe.

In any way, it's nothing I have time to implement anytime soon.
I'm in full firefighting mode.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1694
Can't you just display the waveform without storing it in the database?

Dandruff: With the current codebase. No. Probably not. Most of it should be purged with fire.

This is what I came in to request.  I'm not sure in what the context the above was in though.  Does this really mean there's no way to display the waveform without storing all waveforms in wavecache.db?  Could it be stored in a temp file and purged occasionally / upon track change or something?

I apologize if this is a naive or common question.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1695
aeidein: Everything that is queued for scanning is filtered against the blacklist of forbidden format, checked against the preferences to only do Media Library, etc. If it's blocked, it's neither scanned nor put in the database. Once something is scanned, it's put into the database and returned to the caller. There is currently no way to scan something and return it without also storing it into the database. Similarly, there is no way to scan something and ignore its presence in the database.

I'd have to change quite a lot of things in the interface to achieve things like "multiple databases", "scan without storing", "force scan".
There's a fair bit of horror in achieving things like: "display selected waveform" instead of the current state of always attempting to display the playing one.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1696
Okay, I just wanted to make sure I was interpreting correctly.  Thank you for the response and all your work on this fantastic component.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1697
Hey everybody,

I'm happy to see my post getting so much attention. ChronoSphere was right, I didn't want any fancy or complex changes, I just feel like Rightclick > Extract Seekbar Signature should force it, even though scanning outside the library is turned off. I think this wouldn't change but expand the usability of this feature. Downside is that you could accidentially extract signatures from non-library files if you scan both library and non-library music at the same time. But isn't that a very unlikely thing to happen to only a few users? I feel like the benefits of this change of behaviour would be much stronger than it's possible annoyances.

Love you guys, cheers from Germany!

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1698
One question:
What exactly happens when forced rescan of files is running and I will reset my PC and then turn it on and start foobar? I see now that scans are continuing, but how about data from previous session - were they stored immediately? And what will happen if by mistake I ordered another rescan before I noticed that task from previous session is running after restart?

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1699
All pending scan jobs are stored to the cache at shutdown and restored on startup.
As for starting another one, it'll be as-if you did it in the same session, whatever that behaviour is.
Stay sane, exile.