Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New to Electronic music (Read 13788 times) previous topic - next topic

New to Electronic music

Reply #25
Jaga Jazzist. Awesome.
we was young an' full of beans

New to Electronic music

Reply #26
Heheh

I recently discovered them through Last.FM (*hint hint*) -- as well as the band Ugress. Check out their/his (?) free MP3s. You can download around 20 really cool MP3s from the Ugress site.

If you enjoy Jaga Jazzist and Ugress it's likely that you'll like Xploding Plastix as well. Their homepage has an integrated flash player (24 full tracks in high quality including unreleased stuff like "Working the Neck"!!)

Sebastian

New to Electronic music

Reply #27
I also really enjoyed KiloWatts' two albums "Problem Solving" and "Routes"
(Glitchy but also melodic IDM with some breaks/unusual rhythms)
The artist's homepage
The label's website
A shop where you can order the CDs or Downloads (MP3 and FLAC!) (It's also available at the iTunes music store, less quality for more money)
The artist's mySpace page with 4 full tracks to listen to

Sebastian

New to Electronic music

Reply #28
I also really enjoyed KiloWatts' two albums "Problem Solving" and "Routes"
The artist's homepage
The label's website
A shop where you can order the CDs or Downloads (MP3 and FLAC!) (It's also available at the iTunes music store, less quality for more money)
The artist's mySpace page with 4 full tracks to listen to

Sebastian

Wow! I'm loving this, very awesome! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'm gonna have to go music shopping this weekend!

The EP from Kahvi is also great!

New to Electronic music

Reply #29
I've been a metalhead scince I was 13(ish)...  ...I would like to stay away from "club" or "dance(ish)" styles, basically I would like to avoid gay-bar trance type stuff.

Try some Drum N Bass or Industrial.  I am a rocker myself, but I actually got into trance first (by playing Midnight Club 2 and other games)

Listened to any Rammstein lately?

The Prodigy - Experience
Chemical Brothers - Surrender / Dig Your Own Hole

if You like the harder stuff:
Wumpscut - A few great tracks on every album, sorry

I second the vote for Prodigy.  Also try Overseer if you are into the hard Matrix-inspired genre.

Kraftwerk would be a good place to start

Or the Japanese counterpart, Yellow Magic Orchestra.
Also I think Denki Groove is worth checking out.  I recorded a tape of them for my car and I either play that or my Black Mages tape on my way to the 'ol grind.

If you are new to electronic music and find the huge amount of genres and sub-genres confusing then this will be of interest to you

Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music v2! (I hope you have Flash working)

I second this as well.  Ishkur's Guide is one the best refrence i've seen so far.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

New to Electronic music

Reply #30
Some of my favourites in no particular order or genre:

Upland
Single Unit
Front 242
à;GRUMH...
Ladytron
Add n to (x)
Skinny Puppy
The KLF
Propellerheads
Covenant
Juno Reactor

A great Mexican electronic band is Hocico, although I think some of their albums sound too polished - I prefer the rougher, simpler sound of their earlier songs like "Self Destructive Path". I have a couple of their albums, my favourite so far is "Aqui y ahora en el silencio".

I'll probably edit this in about five minutes when I realise I've forgotten something    Good luck, although with all the great recommendations you've received so far you don't really need luck! 

New to Electronic music

Reply #31
if you live in the uk (i dont know if they ship to europe) check out Boomkat's summer promo theres some good stuff at decent prices but at the same time they have mixed in some high priced stuff. Also worth checking out imo are the cd-r releases from Panama Racing all the ones that are out (PR-001 to PR-008) are good if you dont mind an overdose of disco but i would particulary reccomend the first two I-f mixes to new commers.

i am quite suprised noone has mentioned any dubstep artist yet as i was under the impression it was getting quite popular, the recent vinyl releaes from labels like Tectonic and DMZ have been quite good and the dubstep allstars series kicks huge amounts of arse (listening to vol 4 atm)

New to Electronic music

Reply #32

I second this as well.  Ishkur's Guide is one the best refrence i've seen so far.

Uh, that thingy is great  , I think i can categorize electronic music even less after hearing all that stuff but it's just great, think I keep on listening that stuff all night long

New to Electronic music

Reply #33
As do I...
I think I need to tell my boss about it, as well.  Her roommate burns trance CDs and my boss played one at work.  I remarked about liking trance as well, and she gave me the dirtiest look and said, "It's techno."  I tried explaning the situation and she just got pissed off.  I think maybe she needs to see it.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

New to Electronic music

Reply #34
Ishkur's guide is pretty cool.  I wouldn't exactly say I'm a huge electronic music fan (metalhead here too actually), but most of it I hear is actually pretty enjoyable.  I really should probably look into it more.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

New to Electronic music

Reply #35
Damn, I've been getting some more stuff that you guys recommended, this genre is huge...

And yes, Last.fm and the Netlabels are huge help (Thanks Sebi)!

New to Electronic music

Reply #36

His guide is full of tounge and cheek humour. It is great reference, but he always nagging at the fact that the electronic community puts more emphasize on what the style of music is called rather than what it sounds like 

I second the vote for Prodigy. Also try Overseer if you are into the hard Matrix-inspired genre.

That would be Funky Breaks 

IDM outside of full-on Psychedelic Trance is purest style of electronic music from a melodic perspective.

I think I need to tell my boss about it, as well. Her roommate burns trance CDs and my boss played one at work. I remarked about liking trance as well, and she gave me the dirtiest look and said, "It's techno." I tried explaning the situation and she just got pissed off. I think maybe she needs to see it.

Americans need to get on the ball with this. If they don't generally call all EDM "techno" they think the shit on a Louis Devito compilation is "Trance".  Vocal trance really gives the genre a bad name, when there are some sub-genres that are so well constructed.

Aphex Twin (duh)
Autechre (stuff since about '97 is beyond bizarre, stick to earlier stuff if you enjoy sane music)
Amon Tobin (master of jazz sampling)
BT (dancier, but very defining... more pop-oriented)
Chemical Brothers (if you haven't heard them, what rock are you living under?)
Infected Mushroom (awesome acid)
kid606 (Fast, hyper, fun)
Nobukazu Takemura (all sorts of electronic art)
Plaid 
Sasha (dancier, but never "gay-bar")
Shpongle (electronic + pan flutes = win)
Squarepusher (will eat you alive)
Underworld (earlier stuff is better)
Venetian Snares (really fast complex drum programming)

Infected Mushroom are classically trained musicians, unique full-on sound. I still fail to understand why people don't realize their are more full-on artists out there though. BT is one of my personal favorites his new album "The Binary Universe" will be out soon. His style isn't as pure as when it first began with Progressive Trance, but some of the work he does is ground breaking and he is a classically trained musician.  Sasha chums out Progressive House compilations these days.  The rest of the stuff is IDM everyone's favorite. Underworld is the only artist here I could never get into. Shpongle is psyambient / chillout.
budding I.T professional

New to Electronic music

Reply #37
Infected Mushroom are classically trained musicians, unique full-on sound. I still fail to understand why people don't realize their are more full-on artists out there though. BT is one of my personal favorites his new album "The Binary Universe" will be out soon. His style isn't as pure as when it first began with Progressive Trance, but some of the work he does is ground breaking and he is a classically trained musician.  Sasha chums out Progressive House compilations these days.  The rest of the stuff is IDM everyone's favorite. Underworld is the only artist here I could never get into. Shpongle is psyambient / chillout.

didn't know that about Infected Mushroom... but isn't most of what they do Psy? (don't really like Psy except what little i heard when i first got into "techno" from MP3s from usenet on AOL on 95)

have you heard Sasha's solo effort? (Airdrawndagger) i love it... if the almost-ambient, organic genre, Robert Miles' Organik (and the weird Miles Gurtu (RM and Trilok Gurtu) album...)

i myself am more of a trance whore (new definition, not oldschool) ... spent a year and a half finding Hydroid's Burnproof/Sativa CD, Probspot's Organic Waveforms, and just discovered another CD i need to buy: Sleepthief - The Dawnseeker (classified as New Age, but sounds to me like dance/vocal trance minus the beat) .. but i'm wandering away from the topic... >_>

edit: another one i liked was 16 Bit Lolitas (self titled) and Bodywarmer (progressive house?)