Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best Live Concert You Ever Seen? (Read 12578 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Live Concert You Ever Seen?

What was the best live concert (or festival, event, etc.) you even seen?

Mine was Flippaut Rock Festival (June 2004, Bologna) with bands like Korn, Morrisey, The Rasmus, JET and Muse.
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #1
I've never been to a major/big gig.

My favourite has to be Pixies at Exeter University's Great Hall.  I've always been a big fan and it was great to get to see them.  This was when Bossanova came out.  They started with all the lights off with Cecelia Ann, which is a fast-paced rousing guitar track/instrumental.  It was very effective.

My second would probably be Fugazi at Exeter's Lemongrove (a very small venue) - simply because I'd never heard of them beforehand and was expecting a second-rate local heavy metal band.  They rocked good.

I was lucky enough to see Muse support Skunk Anansie before they made it big.  They are from around my way, so supported Skunk Anansie when they came to Exeter.  The sound engineering was quite bad, but you got the gist so I bought Showbiz as soon as it came out.  Still my favourite I think (Uno is superb, but there are so many goodies).

Sorry, another mention has to go to a The Damned gig, just because the mosh was so good natured (unlike a New Model Army gig a little later) - everybody was just getting into it and bouncing off each other like pinballs.  That was when I was young.

Edit: C64s do rock.  Have you seen this?
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
One of nights at the 2002 Internation Association for Jazz Educators Confeferrence in Toronto, Canada.  The Dizzy Gillespie Alumni All Stars, Nnenna Freelon, Slide Hampton's World Of Trombones.  It was an amazing night.

Reply #3
I can't really pick one. Here are a few of my favorites, from the top of my head:

(all in Belgium)

Prodigy - Werchter 1997
Faithless - Werchter 1999
Tool - Ozzfest 2002
Opeth - Graspop 2002
Beck & Foo Fighters - Pukkelpop 2003
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #4
Probably the Philadelphia Folk Festival in 1973.  Loads of (then) young artists who I still listen to.. Jim Croce, Dave Bromberg, Leo Kotke, Loudon Wainright...
Your basic format of thousands on thousands camped for 3 or 4 days and a big stage area.. swimming nearby when it gets too hot.

Burlington Jazz festival every year is good, but since it is city wide with many venues it isn't the same mega-audiance feel.

Reply #5
My second would probably be Fugazi at Exeter's Lemongrove (a very small venue) - simply because I'd never heard of them beforehand and was expecting a second-rate local heavy metal band. They rocked good.

I'm jealous.

Yage's last show in July 2004 was actually one of my best concert experiences.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #6
Mine is Radiohead on year 2002. They were about to release their last album "Hail to the thief", or on next months, and played some of their new songs that obviously nobody knew... That was incredible, sometimes I remember that when listening their music. I cannot describe that feeling..... 

Reply #7
Jerry Cantrell, fall 2002, La Zona Rosa. One hell of a night. I was merely pleased with his solo songs, but singing along to Alice In Chains songs with >200 other people in a packed venue... unforgettable.

If you see the Cardboard Vampyres playing, run, do not walk, to see them.

Reply #8
An Oregon band called Floater.  That was an awesome concert.

I also saw an Aerosmith concert, although im not a big fan of theirs (especially not lately) they put on a great show.

Reply #9
Deep Purple, Rodgau Monotones, Roger Chapman and Mountain
Open Air Nuernberg 1986

Man - I never thought I'd see those guys together on stage again
And the ticket did cost 18 Euros!

Reply #10
Tool - a few times (Lateralus tour was amazing)

Cave In - about a dozen times

Helmet

...maybe Converge, Count Me Out, Strike Anywhere, Darkest Hour.  Too many to think of.
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #11
My second would probably be Fugazi at Exeter's Lemongrove (a very small venue) - simply because I'd never heard of them beforehand and was expecting a second-rate local heavy metal band. They rocked good.

I'm jealous.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270661"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

....and I saw Fugazi perform at a quaint, outdoor location for FREE.  Wish I could have seen Minor Threat.  And especially Quicksand.  And Hum.  And Failure.
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #12
The summer of 1979, freshly graduated from high school.  Kansas City with my girlfriend.  The show was an all-day "Summer Jam" or something like that, but the headliner was REO Speedwagon.  Halfway through REO's set, it began to storm like hell - thunder, lightning, and pouring rain.  Knocked all the power out on the stage.  After about 30-45 minutes, they got the power back on and then the band came back out -- and roared into "Ridin' the Storm Out."  Good times...

Reply #13
My best concert expreciences were Lamb in Nürnberg (1998), Bugge Wesseltoft in Berlin (2004) and Nils Petter Molvær in Fürth (2004).

Reply #14
Pink Floyd Live in Venezia (Venice, Italy, 15/07/89)... swimming just in front of the stage...  uhh... floating in the dark between music and lights... ahh... impossible to imagine or to tell...

(I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan,  but, boys... a mystical experience!)

Reply #15
Metal Church at the 1986 Aardschok festival in Zwolle Holland and Nevermore at the 1999 Wacken Festival.

Reply #16
The Lamp lies down on broadway Tour by Genesis in Wiesbaden, may be 74 ??
Police also in Wiesbaden 79 !!!

Reply #17
I've never been to a real gig of any kind.. just little local bands that are no good.

I live in the middle of nowhere so that does not help either.

Reply #18
Maybe best semi local one I'm glad I missed?  Phish's last concert a few months ago.. tons of rain, knee deep mud, people parking on the interstate highway miles out and walking or hitching a ride in on a truck.. then the trucks get stuck in the mud, so walk in the rest of the way...  loads of ticket holders ended out camping by the highway 5 miles out and just listened to Phish CD's for the weekend.

Reply #19
Maybe best semi local one I'm glad I missed?  Phish's last concert a few months ago.. tons of rain, knee deep mud, people parking on the interstate highway miles out and walking or hitching a ride in on a truck.. then the trucks get stuck in the mud, so walk in the rest of the way...  loads of ticket holders ended out camping by the highway 5 miles out and just listened to Phish CD's for the weekend.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278851"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Phish! I never really listened to them until a few months ago I got a copy of "Round Room" and was pretty impressed. 

Reply #20
Santana - Sacred Fire (Live in South America) 

This was the best concert of rock than I have seen in my life.

Reply #21
I saw Muse in 2003 at the MEN, that was good, didn't have standing tickets though, I'm sure that would have made it excellent.

I saw Prodigy in around 1998 at the MEN. That was an excellent concert. Never had such a workout at a concert before.

Leftfield at the Manchester Academy around 2000. Never heard a sound system like it before or since.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #22

I'm jealous.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270661"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

....and I saw Fugazi perform at a quaint, outdoor location for FREE.  Wish I could have seen Minor Threat.  And especially Quicksand.  And Hum.  And Failure.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270836"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I saw fugazi  many years back in providence.  Ian was complaining about having just turned 25.

Anyway, the live show that I was most blown away by was the Meat Puppets, forbidden places tour, providence, RI.  Absolutely amazing.  I saw them again two days later in Boston and the show was shit.
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #23
Waking up an ancient thread (which I just now stumbled across) -

- Yes (Oakland Colliseum, Oakland CA, the 'Reunion' tour) - Close to three hours of one of my all-time favorite bands.  Everyone who has been a band member was there ('cept for Patrick Moraz, who was on tour in Europe w/The Moody Blues); every 'version' of the band had a set; instead of a drum solo, Alan White and Bill Bruford had 'drum wars'; new (for then) songs, old songs, a couple of made-up songs; all in all, a glorious night (and I've still got the t-shirt...).

- Pink Floyd (Shoreline Ampitheater, Mountain View CA and Concord Pavillion, Concord CA - the 'Pulse' tour) - Another unforgettable night(s)!  Just to be able to hear Dark Side Of The Moon performed live was worth the ticket(s) price alone.

- pretty much any Primus show...
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Reply #24
Hi folks,

Best concert I've seen would probably be Prince - The Love Sexy Tour in 1988, Rotterdam.
Just everything was right. Sound, lights and performance were awesome. As well as the overall
atmosphere amongst the crowd.
All songs were seemlessly connected by special intermezzo's. Plus Prince soloing on grandpiano  and singing. The concert was like a train that never stopped or slowed down till the very last second.