Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Noncompliant to single wav cuesheet (Read 162112 times) previous topic - next topic

Noncompliant to single wav cuesheet

Reply #25
CUE Tools v1.1.0 uses the directory information inside the CUE if it can't find the audio file in the same directory as the CUE, and can read the length of FLAC files.  I might have added support WavPack or Monkey's Audio, but I didn't find documentation on their file formats (and I don't feel like digging through the source code right now).

[Link removed, see here for updated link]

Reply #26
The new version works like a charm.  One very small thing that I noticed that would make the file naming a lot more convenient process:

Instead of having to type in the name of the output file each time, could you have the output name default to the name of the input cue file and then append something to the end of it?  That way, most of the time, you wouldn't have to type in anything.

Example: Input cue name: "C:\CD Rips FLAC\Ready to Archive\Absorption.CUE"

Output cue name: "C:\CD Rips FLAC\Ready to Archive\Absorption (single wav).CUE"

You choose what would best be appended to the end.  Or, what would be even better, is if you would let the user choose what is appended onto the name.

Again, excellent work!
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #27
Moitah, this is getting even better  Thanks for the update!

I second the auto output filename thing.

Also, it would be good to be able to choose the filename inside the cue. I always use CDImage.flac, so have to change the default Range.wav. But that's a minor thing I guess.

Anyway, this tool is solving me a lot of problems I used to have, so, thanks mate!

Reply #28
I guess you have a little bug on your General.TimeToString method.

For tracks that start after 60 minutes, the indices are wrong.

Shouldn't be "if(t < 60) min = t % 60; else min = (t % 60) + 60;" instead of just "min = t % 60"?

Thanks!

Reply #29
I thought I tested that... wow, what a stupid bug .  Anyway, it should just be simply "min = t".

EDIT:  I'll have a new version out soon with that fix and the other suggestions.

Reply #30
You're bug might be stupid... but my solution is way more stupid than that

Reply #31
CUE Tools v1.2.0:
  • Fixes the bug with writing timestamps over an hour (it accidentally wrapped before, to repair old files written by CUE Tools you can add 60 minutes where necessary).
  • Option to generate output filename by appending something to the input filename.
  • Single-WAV filename in the output CUE sheet can be customized.
[Link removed, see here for updated link]

Reply #32
OMG! Awesome, Moitah. Another useful tools from you. 

Ever since the new cue sheet handling was introduced in the foobar2000 v0.9 betas, I wasn't able to listen to all my "non-conpliant" rips if I hadn't sticked to beta 6. I made a thread a few months ago in the fb2k sub-forums with no positive outcome at all. So I kept using beta 6, instead of abandoning my music and using newer betas (I didn't want to re-rip ~80 CDs or worse burn the backups to CD-RWs). And because I didn't want to miss the new features of 0.9 either, I didn't switch back to 0.8.3. That's over now!

Hey, now you got yourself another (beta) tester here.
I did a quick test with two CDs and it got me identical results.

First I tested one of my non-compliant rips (no pre-gap before track 1 tho): made a new cue sheet with CUETools, made a single wav with fb2k and one with WAVTools, then I enqueued all three "rips" into foobar and used the bit-compare tool to verify single tracks. No errors.

Then I ripped a CD to single tracks with a non-compliant cue sheet, and basically did the same as above, result was almost no errors (see below for that). Then I ripped it again to a single file with a compliant cue sheet and did some bit compares again, also almost  no errors. (so EAC's secure rip proofed to be working too of course - the CD has some bad "spots"). Ok, the only problem was that CDs longer than one hour had wrong indexes (INDEX 00 63:24:44 --> INDEX 00 03:24:44) which you already edit: fixed while I was writing this post  ...but apart from that (and the FILE "Range.wav" WAVE) both CUETools and EAC's cue sheets were identical.

So far it looks good to me. Of course it were only two CDs (without pre-gaps before the first track...), but I'm sure if there is a problem with a special CD someone will find it.

Oh and I already got some suggestions:
  • why not merge "WAVTools" and "CUETools"?
  • add "batch mode"
  • optionally delete old WAV tracks (in case WAVTools gets integrated)
and if you really feel like it:
  • support for CLI de-/encoders
  • and maybe even someone wants to convert single image cues to non-compliant ones, hehe  although that is already possible by mounting the image/cue
  • add support for converting multi-track EAC logs to single track logs, complete with CRC recalculation for the joined wav image  really j/k here
Well, thanks a lot for this tool! (It's the small things that can make people happy.)

Reply #33
Yeah, I mean, if you integrated WAVTools and CUETools, you could add FLAC encoding and decoding support, and then I (and others) could just drop the cuesheet into the program, and then it could, obviously only needing the referenced files to be in the specified location (relative or absolute), output the wav image (or FLAC if the source is FLAC) and full cuesheet to a directory of the user's choice all at once.  This is because usually, the user isn't just going to convert the cuesheet, but also the music to the single image file all at once.

This would turn out to be an outstanding companion to Burrrn, because Burrrn already natively supports FLAC files and single wav images that are compressed into FLAC.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #34
@mmortal03

Yes, and since WAVTools already supports adding first track pre-gap, it is perfect for CUETools which would provide the needed value automagically.

@Moitah

I did another test (with the new version):

Foobar2000 (upto 0.9 beta 6, dunno about newer betas) has the ability to add replaygain info into cue sheets.

For album gain it simply adds the following keywords (followed by the corresponding values) "REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN" and "REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK" after TITLE and before the first FILE entry. In the FILE/TRACK section it respectively adds "REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" and "REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK" at the end. This is roughly how it is done with a single image cue sheet... now with a multi track cue sheet it is also possible but it looks a lot messier.

I dunno how, but CUETools does converting such a replaygained multi track cue sheet quite well, as far as I can see, except for one thing that makes fb2k reject such a single image cue sheet afterwards: the "REM REPLAYGAIN_*" lines are placed before the INDEX lines, but foobar2000 always puts them past the TITLE/*/INDEX lines in these single cues. It's best seen when looking at three example:

A non-compliant cue sheet after being "replaygained" by foobar2000:

Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "801"
TITLE "Live"
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN -1.16 dB
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.999969
FILE "01 - Lagrima.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Lagrima"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "02 - T.N.K. (Tomorrow Never Knows).wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +10.39 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.186646
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "T.N.K. (Tomorrow Never Knows)"
    PERFORMER "801"
FILE "03 - East Of Asteroid.wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -2.03 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.999969
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "East Of Asteroid"
    PERFORMER "801"
FILE "04 - Rongwrong.wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.81 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.904327
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Rongwrong"
    PERFORMER "801"
FILE "05 - Sombre Reptiles.wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -0.10 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.762543
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sombre Reptiles"
    PERFORMER "801"
FILE "06 - Baby's On Fire.wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -0.48 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.814301
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Baby's On Fire"
    PERFORMER "801"
FILE "07 - Diamond Head.wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.19 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.788879
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Diamond Head"
    PERFORMER "801"
FILE "08 - Miss Shapiro.wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -0.73 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.807159
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Miss Shapiro"
    PERFORMER "801"
FILE "09 - You Really Got Me.wav" WAVE
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.06 dB
  REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.866943
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "You Really Got Me"
    PERFORMER "801"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.50 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.784607
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Third Uncle"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 00 03:21:74
FILE "10 - Third Uncle.wav" WAVE
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -0.50 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.764374

This was a clean single image compliant cue sheet which got replaygained:

PERFORMER "801"
TITLE "Live"
FILE "Live fb2k.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Lagrima"
    PERFORMER "801"
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 02:33:72
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "East Of Asteroid"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 08:49:35
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Rongwrong"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 13:47:15
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sombre Reptiles"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 18:52:72
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Baby's On Fire"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 22:13:02
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Diamond Head"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 27:16:32
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Miss Shapiro"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 33:37:67
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 37:58:60
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Third Uncle"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 00 41:20:59
    INDEX 01 41:22:07

And this is was a replaygained multi track non-compliant cue sheet after being transformed by CUETools:

PERFORMER "801"
TITLE "Live"
FILE "Live.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Lagrima"
    PERFORMER "801"
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 02:33:72
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "East Of Asteroid"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 08:49:35
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Rongwrong"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 13:47:15
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sombre Reptiles"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 18:52:72
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Baby's On Fire"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 22:13:02
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Diamond Head"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 27:16:32
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Miss Shapiro"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 33:37:67
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 01 37:58:60
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Third Uncle"
    PERFORMER "801"
    INDEX 00 41:20:59
    INDEX 01 41:22:07

So I guess only a small tweaking of the code is necessary here...

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Moderation: Amended to use codebox[/span]

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']-- Thx, Synthetic Soul. I knew there was a BBcode like this but I forgot its name.[/span]

Reply #35
@mmortal03

Yes, and since WAVTools already supports adding first track pre-gap, it is perfect for CUETools which would provide the needed value automagically.

Yeah, the next version of Burrrn allows you to specify the Write Offset, so once that is set, and you ripped them with the proper Read Offset, you wouldn't even need to use that feature, but it is true that you could if you needed it.

Also, about the ReplayGain...I save all my ReplayGain information into my individual FLACs, and not into the cuesheet.  Obviously, you can't do that with WAVs. 

But, given this, once the FLAC is encoded to one big wav compressed as a FLAC, the ReplayGain information wouldn't by default transfer over (e.g. FLAC.exe wouldn't know how to do it).  As far as burning it replaygained, Burrrn has a ReplayGain option.  But as far as for PLAYING back using the cuefiles, yeah, having Moitah's program reconstruct the full Replaygain value from the individual album gain info in the FLACs, and write that as the Replaygain value in the single FLAC image's metadata would be the best bet.  I understand why you would want to write it to the cue for WAVs, but for FLACs, it might as well be written to the FLAC file.

Reply #36
I understand why you would want to write it to the cue for WAVs, but for FLACs, it might as well be written to the FLAC file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366469"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I just played around a bit and thought of testing how good CUETools handles "REM"-comments.

And the reason why I store the replaygain info in my cues is because I do single image rips nowadays only, so putting the replaygain info into the cue sheet is done automatically by fb2k since it's the cue sheet that was loaded into the playlist, thus all "tags" are stored there (actually rp info are the only tags stored into a cue sheet by fb2k  ) and besides that it's the only way to also preserve the track gains and peaks for single image rips.

For multi track rips it's basically the same, because I load the cue sheets into the playlist instead of the FLACs. So again after replaygaining a non-compliant set of tracks and fb2k (0.9b6) will put the rg info in the cues leaving the FLACs untouched. I do this because I like to think of the multi FLACs rips and single FLAC rips both as equal, in fact I was always thinking that some day I am going to convert all my non-compliant rips to single file with integrated cue sheets and EAC logs how I do it now.

Reply #37
How can I properly store the Date Tag information in the cuesheets such that Foobar2000 will recognize it?  Also, will CUETools recognize it and copy it over to the single file cuesheet?

Reply #38
The problem is not that the DATE line gets ommitted during converting with CUETool... which is not the case!

foobar simply doesn't interpret the "DATE 1544" line as a YEAR tag... and there's no way of adding a "REM YEAR 1544" or so... that would get ignored, too.  Maybe that's fixed in the newer betas... as I said I used 0.9b6 with the old cue sheet interpreter.

If this causes some problems for you later... for example you want the albums of one artist to be in the correct order of release then add the year of the release somewhere in the file path. For example make a folder for every album starting with the year of release, or if you use single files with integrated cue sheets use something like <Artist> - <Year> - <Album title>.flac. Then you can sort the playlist according to the file path automatically and don't have to make it manually when you create a new playlist or messed an old one up.

Oh or maybe ask the fb2k devs politely if they would like to implement this (if they haven't done so already). I mean that the DATE line gets interpreted as a YEAR tag when loading a cue sheet.

Reply #39
I think I'm just going to remove those ReplayGain lines.  The most important reason is because the track gain values can actually change depending on which type of CUE sheet was used.  For single file and non-complaint, the track gain value foobar2000 calculates for each track includes the following gaps, but for a CUE sheet where the gaps are prepended ("corrected gaps" as EAC calls it), the track gain value for each track includes the previous gaps.

The other reason is because I still would like for it to be able to produce non-compliant CUE sheets, and I find foobar2000's placement of these lines in non-compliant CUE sheets very strange (at the beginning of a FILE block, or at the end of a TRACK block, depending on if the track has a gap).

I could leave the ReplayGain lines if I wanted to (only discard them if they don't translate properly between the input and output CUE type), but it wouldn't be fun for me (which is why I wrote it... I don't actually have any non-compliant CUE sheets).

As for all the feature suggestions, they're certainly good ideas, but since I'll probably only use CUE Tools rarely (if ever), I'm not sure how much more I feel like improving it .

EDIT:  Left out a word.

Reply #40
That said, I threw this together really quick.  It puts the track gain lines in the correct position, but if you feed it a CUE sheet with gaps prepended or left out, it will copy them even though it's not exactly correct to do so.

[Link removed, outdated]

But expect future versions to remove the ReplayGain lines.

Reply #41
Yeah I guess you're absolutely right, preserving replaygain from cue sheets during this kind of conversion won't make much sense when the values are obsolete afterwards anyway. In either case a new run of replaygain is necessary and lots of people might not even be aware of this and they keep the wrong rp info.

And also if leaving rp lines in will brake some future functionality of your tool, it's best to drop it anyway as soon as possible. Thanks for the quick fix tho, because a replaygained cue sheet that was converted and then isn't accepted by fb2k, although fb2k's rp info isn't really an official feature of cue sheets either, might still be considered a bug (either of CUETools or foobar2000, I dunno).

You say you could make it identify cue sheets were rp info gets obsolete after conversion, but it's no big deal if you don't want to implement that. I was more  concerned that any comment in a cue sheet might somehow mess things up. I hope that's also fixed now. After all the most important thing is that the cue sheets are valid and that no extra nifty "add-ons" like the replaygain comments mess things up.

But...    about the other feature requests (especially merging WAVTools and CUETools so one could convert a rip in one go)... that's sad to hear, but understandable.

Reply #42
Nice.

Might it be possible to re-introduce a gap prior to track 1?
(either by manually prepending it to track 1, or by providing a separate file)

Reply #43
@Cosmo:  WAV Tools will let you do it either way.

Reply #44
The problem is not that the DATE line gets ommitted during converting with CUETool... which is not the case!

foobar simply doesn't interpret the "DATE 1544" line as a YEAR tag... and there's no way of adding a "REM YEAR 1544" or so... that would get ignored, too.  Maybe that's fixed in the newer betas... as I said I used 0.9b6 with the old cue sheet interpreter.

If this causes some problems for you later... for example you want the albums of one artist to be in the correct order of release then add the year of the release somewhere in the file path. For example make a folder for every album starting with the year of release, or if you use single files with integrated cue sheets use something like <Artist> - <Year> - <Album title>.flac. Then you can sort the playlist according to the file path automatically and don't have to make it manually when you create a new playlist or messed an old one up.

Oh or maybe ask the fb2k devs politely if they would like to implement this (if they haven't done so already). I mean that the DATE line gets interpreted as a YEAR tag when loading a cue sheet.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366483"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I actually just use the DATE tag as the YEAR tag.  Are you saying that foobar2000 cannot read the DATE info from the the cuesheet?

Reply #45
Yes, this is correct for the "old" cue sheet interpreter. It is undergoing a massive rewrite since v0.9 beta 7, AFAIK because partly of the new CD-Reader functionality that is going to be in 0.9.

But I have no clue whether the latest versions of 0.9 do interpret the DATE field as an internal year tag. Best if you try out yourself.

Reply #46
@Cosmo: WAV Tools will let you do it either way.

But if I add a pre-gap with WAVTools, the CUE sheet created by CUETools will not be correct. Can you add the "Add Pre-Gap:" option to CUETools?

Thank you!!

Reply #47
I see what you're asking now.  Yeah, I think I will add this.

Reply #48
After checking a non-compliant CUE sheet with a gap before the first track, although EAC doesn't put an INDEX 00, it does put a PREGAP line.  So there shouldn't be any need to add it manually.

Example:
FILE "01.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    ISRC USEW19900316
    PREGAP 00:00:32

I may have found a bug when handling files like this, though.  EDIT: Nevermind, there's no bug, it works fine.

Reply #49
I got another suggestion concerning the file name of the single wav file: add the option to let CUETool build the file name from the album performer and album title of the CD. Because this is the default naming in the latest EAC versions for image rips.