Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: First WMA Pro compatible device? (Read 8785 times) previous topic - next topic

First WMA Pro compatible device?

Today, i've seen a post on betanews that talks about a new motorola phone being PlaysforSure. This isn't big news (especially to us here), if it wasn't by the following quote:
Microsoft's WMA Pro codec would be used for these services, allowing for high quality and efficient downloads, the company said.

(emphasis mine).

I don't know if that's a typo, or the writer tried to mean that WMA is a pro codec (something questionable, of course). The article itself doesn't give much info, so it could be all misinformation, yet it's interesting.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.betanews.com/article/Motorola_W...Year/1139852087

Reply #1
' date='Feb 14 2006, 06:43 AM' post='364218']
Today, i've seen a post on betanews that talks about a new motorola phone being PlaysforSure. This isn't big news (especially to us here), if it wasn't by the following quote:
Microsoft's WMA Pro codec would be used for these services, allowing for high quality and efficient downloads, the company said.

(emphasis mine).

I don't know if that's a typo, or the writer tried to mean that WMA is a pro codec (something questionable, of course). The article itself doesn't give much info, so it could be all misinformation, yet it's interesting.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.betanews.com/article/Motorola_W...Year/1139852087

is this really the only portable device that supports wma pro?

Reply #3
Read this press release.

In particular:

Motorola's music handsets will add support for Windows Media Digital Rights Management (DRM), Windows Media Audio (WMA), the enhanced Windows Media Audio Pro codec and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). These technologies will give consumers the maximum flexibility and options when purchasing and playing back their digital music.

Reply #4
I wonder if this also includes support for the Lossless part of WMA Pro? Though that probably wouldn't be of much use on a phone...

Reply #5

If you don't count my Notebook (that is also portable), yes.

hmmm...  I'm gonna have to search for some kind of pocketpc/smart phone with a hard drive.  Twould be nice to have one device in my pocket instead of two(audio player and phone).

Reply #6
The most important word in this article is ... DRM! We were waiting for it for eons! At last these guys will bring us eternal Glory... Oh! Ah! DRM!
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #7

hmmm...  I'm gonna have to search for some kind of pocketpc/smart phone with a hard drive.  Twould be nice to have one device in my pocket instead of two(audio player and phone).

The only one?  Wow, my pocket PC has supported even Windows Media Audio 10 pro (yes, 10) for quite a while  Althought it plays the SBR+PS WMApro files as mono 22khz 
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

Reply #8
Sheep .. which PDA do you have ?

My Dell X51V (Windows Mobile 5) - seems to play the WMA 10 Pro files fine ... doesn't seem to be in 22KHz mode anyway ?

I've heard yourself and others mention the SBR etc extension files at 22KHz ... do you have to enable that - or are all WMA 10 Pro files using that ?  I couldn't see any further options for WMA 10 Pro in Windows Media Player thats why I ask.

One final question - WMA 10 Pro files in Windows Media Player (encoding) - is the 192kbps  VBR or CBR ?

WMA 10 standard sounds great in the car.

Been lurking for years

Thanks, Mark.

The only one?  Wow, my pocket PC has supported even Windows Media Audio 10 pro (yes, 10) for quite a while  Althought it plays the SBR+PS WMApro files as mono 22khz 

Reply #10

WMA 10 standard sounds great in the car.

The newest WMA Std is 9.2 AFAIK

J.M.

... Is true for the Windows Media Audio, Media Audio Voice and Media Audio Lossless standards. The professional standard carries the number 10.

(confusing... really! Now you have to be carefull what you actually mean  )

- R

Reply #11
Pretty much every mobile has DRM support already. All commercially available "realtone" ringtones are  either AMR or MP3 wrapped inside a DRM container.

Reply #12
Sheep .. which PDA do you have ?

My Dell X51V (Windows Mobile 5) - seems to play the WMA 10 Pro files fine ... doesn't seem to be in 22KHz mode anyway ?

I'm using an A05 X50v... WM2003SE, so maybe that's why

There are 2 different "versions" of WMA10Pro.  There is the original WMA10Pro available in WMEncoder and 3rd-party programs like dBmc, and there is also the seperate WMA10Pro+ which is available only when ripping an audio CD with WMP11, which does appear to be a CBR encoding.  The SBR/PS-like components of WMA10Pro+ are only activated at low bitrates afaik.  192kbps is far too high a bitrate for SBR to increase quality.  Try 32kbps or 64kbps--then you might see the difference on your PDA.  But then again, you have a newer OS, so maybe not
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

Reply #13
Pretty much every mobile has DRM support already. All commercially available "realtone" ringtones are  either AMR or MP3 wrapped inside a DRM container.
... which is why I make my own ringtone. Just rip from CD, process with Audition, save as MP3 or AAC, and voila! people keep asking me where I download cool ringtones