Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Exception: Error reading CD IoctlFailed (Read 3417 times) previous topic - next topic

Exception: Error reading CD IoctlFailed

I have not had this error after ripping over a hundred CDs with cueripper and same USB drive:

Based on the screenshot looks like it started ripping. Could this be because of too many scratches?

Thank you,
mnemonic76

Re: Exception: Error reading CD IoctlFailed

Reply #1
I actually came here to report this same problem.  It's not due to scratches, it happens for me randomly on multiple pristine discs, all of which (and more) ripped fine with EAC 1.6 on the exact same setup (all I did was close one ripper and open the other).

Being a Un*x geek, I'm not really familiar with Windows debugging tools, so it's a little difficult for me to track it down.

For reference, the drive in question is:
Used drive  : PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-XD05   Adapter: 1  ID: 0

This is a USB attached BD-RW drive, because this particular machine doesn't have a drive slot.  (Also I've previously used NEC drives externally so I could heat sink them for extended ripping.  I've ripped thousands of discs that way without problems.)

Reply #2
BTW I captured this in procmon when it failed, and it is definitely getting an error.

"Time of Day","Process Name","PID","Operation","Path","Result","Detail"
"5:02:22.0099281 AM","CUERipper.exe","6760","DeviceIoControl","G:","IO TIMEOUT","Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT"

It didn't really give me any more information, though.

Reply #3
I had the thought that EAC might just be retrying after an error.  I did 8 burst rips with procmon running.  EAC never stalled or slowed down, all rips passed AR, and procmon did not log any errors.

In short, I don't think this is a setup or hardware issue.

Reply #4
see this USB 3 comment (copy of original suggestion by @c72578 )

edit: Alternate build link removed. See @c72578's post(s) below for links to test builds.
korth

Reply #5
As per my comment in the other thread, I tried it on a USB 2 port and there was no apparent improvement.

Testing with the alternate build so far:
6/8 finished with no errors and passed AR
2/8 ioctlFailed
5/8 gaps detected
3/8 no gaps

It's hard to tell whether it improved slightly or that's just luck, but in either case it's still not reliable.

Reply #7
10/10 rips completed
4/10 gap detection still spotty (kind of expected)

Seems to fix the one issue.

Reply #8
I have not had this error after ripping over a hundred CDs with cueripper and same USB drive:

Based on the screenshot looks like it started ripping. Could this be because of too many scratches?

Thank you,
mnemonic76

Hi mnemonic76,
any news concerning the reported "Error reading CD IoctlFailed" with the affected CD?
Was it caused by scratches?
Otherwise you could also try the CUETools_2.2.0_2022-02-06_git_9bf0cc0_Mode296_first.zip build with your drive (HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP50NB40  1.03).

Reply #9

Thank you,
mnemonic76

Hi mnemonic76,
any news concerning the reported "Error reading CD IoctlFailed" with the affected CD?
Otherwise you could also try the CUETools_2.2.0_2022-02-06_git_9bf0cc0_Mode296_first.zip build with your drive (HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP50NB40  1.03).

Hello c72578,

Your fixed version of CueRipper works well, I'm just wondering if you can do one for the new 2.2.1 or if you can message me telling me how to compile this, so I don't have to bother you. I've never compiled anything from source before, so if you can teach me that would be cool.

Thank you,
luigi700

Reply #10
Just a note: that 'fixed' version was compiled 6 Feb including improvements up to that point and 2.2.1 was compiled 12 Feb.
Additional changes (FLAC 1.3.4, VS2019) will be part of 2.2.2.
korth

Reply #11

Thank you,
mnemonic76

Hi mnemonic76,

Hello c72578,

Your fixed version of CueRipper works well, I'm just wondering if you can do one for the new 2.2.1 or if you can message me telling me how to compile this, so I don't have to bother you. I've never compiled anything from source before, so if you can teach me that would be cool.

Thank you,
luigi700

Hello c72578,

I just wanted to let you know that your "fixed" version of CueRipper works well for me, and I just wanted to report the drive that was affected for me was "ASUS DRW-24F1ST d" and now it is working. I was wondering if this fix will be added in the upcoming CueTools version 2.2.2. Also just as further information I'm using this drive in a external enclosure running through USB 3.0 (I've tried the drive on both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, and got the same error before I used your version which fixed everything for me).

Thank you,
luigi700