Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Use of mouse scroll wheel while dragging items in playlist (Read 1178 times) previous topic - next topic

Use of mouse scroll wheel while dragging items in playlist

Hi,

I have pretty big playlists and I like to move around the songs. It is VERY inconvenient that the mouse scroll wheel is not working after having clicked on a song and trying to drag it to another position.
This does work in windows and most other programs, so why not in foobar?

Never the less I really love foobar2000 :-)

Re: Use of mouse scroll wheel while dragging items in playlist

Reply #1
Click on a song (or select several songs), then click and drag them.

Reply #2
You don't understand ;-)

When I want to drag the song to an area outside of the currently visible playlist I'd like to scroll through the playlist with the mouse wheel - which doesn't work.
It is extremely inconvenient trying to drag the song to the top or bottom of the playlist to get the list scrolling - which it does but very slowly.

(Just compare using the mouse scroll wheel while dragging a song and while not dragging a song.)

Reply #3
This does work in windows and most other programs, so why not in foobar?
Which applications are you referring to? It does not work in Windows Explorer.

Reply #4
Oh, you're absolutely right!
It does work for example in Libre Office: when dragging images/objects I can still use the mouse wheel for scrolling. Very interesting! So it _is_ possible, I have no clue why this doesn't work in Windows explorer or foobar :-/

Reply #5
When you drag something, there is what's called a 'drag window' which displays the image under the pointer. I would guess (but have not verified) that it is receiving the mouse wheel messages and does not forward them. One reason they aren't forwarded might be that applications did not necessarily handle mouse wheel messages correctly during a drag-and-drop operation. (In general, mouse and keyboard events are handled differently during drag-and-drop operations, and it's also worth noting that the default behaviour of Windows used to be to send mouse wheel messages to the focused window, rather than the window under the pointer.)

It may be possible (but probably difficult) to intercept those messages and respond to them, though.

I also don't have LibreOffice installed so haven't looked at what it does. I would check though if it reacts to the mouse wheel when dragging something to it from a different application.

Reply #6
Alternative: you can cut/scroll/paste pretty quickly ;)

(Just saying. I agree with your point though...)

Reply #7
OK, you got me: I'm a lazy person hanging around on the sofa only with my wireless mouse beside me - so just dragging and dropping would be much more comfortable than seleccting, cutting, scrolling and pasting ;-)

Reply #8
Dear developers, I love you :-)