Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC failed reading, CDEX didn't...... Help (Read 3099 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC failed reading, CDEX didn't...... Help

Hi everybody,
I hope anybody could help me.
I installed EAC and set it following a translation in Italian of a EAC Install. guide; and until yesterday I didn't have problems.

My last try was with a 9not well) copied audio cd.
EAC failed, and only 4 of 13 tracks were translated in wav and then in mp3, because of errors with offset.

I used another software, CD-EX with the same cd and it did't have any problems, and I have my mp3.

QUESTION: I installed EAC because I read it's the best copier, but why did it fail wav extraction and EAC not? Where can I find other good (and well working) settings for EAC ?

Many thanks in advance
Blueaxe

Reply #2
I actually created my own EAC guide to help people learn how to use it and get it working rather quickly.  Check it out and see if it helps you.

Reply #3
QUESTION: I installed EAC because I read it's the best copier, but why did it fail wav extraction and CDex not?

EAC is called "the best" for its ability to report errors if there were any, not its ability to recover them.

If a ripper like EAC or CDex says "no errors in your rip" it actually means "I haven't seen any errors" but actually there might be errors that the ripper overlooked. How many, depends on how good the ripper is. CDex (in paranoia!) and EAC (correctly configured & secure mode!) are both good rippers, but EAC is said to be "the best" because it only rarely overlooks an error. So, if EAC says "no errors in your rip" you can believe it. That's the difference with other rippers.

Though not as good as EAC, CDex is good also (at least in paranoia). If you want maximum certainty about your rip you could clean the CD (e.g. brasso) and then rip it with EAC (which will no longer fail).