Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Restoring settings after changing from Windows XP (32-Bit) to Windows 7 (64-Bit) (Read 565 times) previous topic - next topic

Restoring settings after changing from Windows XP (32-Bit) to Windows 7 (64-Bit)

Hi all

I'm catching up slowly and have finally moved away from XP! 

I saved the Configuration folder in XP.  So after having just installed foobar in Win7-64, I deleted EVERYTHING in the configuration folder, then pasted in what I had backed up.  All seems to be running well, although I only did it a few minutes ago.  So here are my questions if anyone would be so kind....

1.  Did I do the right thing in deleting everything that was in the current config folder?  Or should I have pasted in the back up stuff but overwritten what was in there? 

2.  Are there any potential issues I should be aware of seeing as I have gone form 32 to 64-Bit OS? 

3.  Do I need to copy anything across from my back up of Program Files on C? 

4.  At one stage, I'm sure there was a LAME app/file in Program Files.  I can't see one there now...  Do I need that or have things changed (or did I never need it)? 

Many thanks for reading / helping :)

Re: Restoring settings after changing from Windows XP (32-Bit) to Windows 7 (64-Bit)

Reply #1
1.  Did I do the right thing in deleting everything that was in the current config folder?  Or should I have pasted in the back up stuff but overwritten what was in there? 
Doing this without deletion would have resulted in different outcome only if you had had more components in the new install. Their possible settings would have remained intact instead of being reset to defaults.

2.  Are there any potential issues I should be aware of seeing as I have gone form 32 to 64-Bit OS? 
No

3.  Do I need to copy anything across from my back up of Program Files on C? 
If you had added something extra that you'd like to have kept. For example placeholder album art images, midi banks, EQ presets...
By default there is nothing there that won't come in installer.

4.  At one stage, I'm sure there was a LAME app/file in Program Files.  I can't see one there now...  Do I need that or have things changed (or did I never need it)? 
If you wish to use the Converter to encode MP3 files. You can install latest LAME version to foobar2000 by installing Free Encoder Pack

Re: Restoring settings after changing from Windows XP (32-Bit) to Windows 7 (64-Bit)

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply case. 

1 = That's good news then.  So I can carry on deleting and pasting in the future without a worry, if I have to do this again.

2 = Great!

3 =  I don't *think* so.  I will do some comparing though to be on the safe side.  And I think I'll continue to back that folder up in the future, just in case.  It doesn't take up much room.  But good to know it probably won't be needed.

4 = Ah yes, I didn't think of that.  I don't use FB for that, and so I was only thinking in terms of decoding.

Cheers  :D