Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Getting a warmer sound from foobar2000 (Read 2251 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting a warmer sound from foobar2000

Hi,

I own a 2.1 setup based on:

- amp Roksan K3
- speakers B&W 685 S2
- sub B&W ASW610 (it's very soft configured in music, just don't mind it)
- dac Asus Essence One USB

Foobar2000 is my default player and I use no dsp except for ASIO that my dac supports.

Everything is perfect and detailed but with some records the bright and the dynamics in the highs are a little too much and the listening sessions became way to fatiguing.

I know there are thousands of add-on I could try (convolvers?) but I am here to ask if somebody with my same issues could advice me something, something that will not degrade my setup.

Thanks
Roksan K3 / B&W 685 S2 / B&W ASW610 S2 / Asus Xonar Essence One USB / Dirac Live / Sennheiser HD650 / G&BL 5555 Serie HPN / Supra Classic 2.5 / Apple Watch Sport

Re: Getting a warmer sound from foobar2000

Reply #4
FB2K is bit perfect, so if things are sounding harsh in the highs, that's either how the track sounds, or how your playback system sounds. I'd recommend a high quality EQ of some kind. If you can deal with a VST Wrapper component, there are lots of great free ones, TDR SlickEQ springs to mind.

Re: Getting a warmer sound from foobar2000

Reply #5
I experience the the same phenomenon, FB is sounding a bit bright compared to VLC, Samplitude, Soundforge, or a couple of browser players I use from time to time (not to mention ms media player which sounds dark but muddy imho).
I guess, some of these players should be bit perfect too.

I have been using FB for years and I love it for its many functions and its openess. Of course this is an individual impression, and I can not give you any measurable proof. But I have been working professionally in radio and music recording studios for 37 years. I am new to this forum and I would appreciate a hint where to read and discuss best about this topic.