Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: opening 4+ files at same time = 4th+ sounds muffled (Read 1180 times) previous topic - next topic

opening 4+ files at same time = 4th+ sounds muffled

Hello.

OK I know first thing people will tell me it's ridiculous to still be using GoldWave 5.16 haha!
I have used it for 15+ years and only use it for cutting starts and ends of files and merging, I know these processes still work perfectly well so I have
had no need to change/upgrade from GoldWave 5.16.
I have recently started using a new/old laptop, clean installed Windows 7 Ultimate from the disc I own (yes outdated too!!!) downloaded all Hewlett Packard drives etc.

Now to the problem.....
If I open 4 or more files in GoldWave 5.16 at the same time, the 4th file plus and files I open after the 4th file sounds muddy/muffled, with the first
3 files sounding correct.
I re-installed Hewlett Packard current drivers and did not fix the problem.
I then downloaded the current stable version of GoldWave and the problem was fixed, I then uninstalled the current GoldWave and the problem
remained fixed when I started using GoldWave 5.16, however now about a week after having a break and getting back to some audio editing the problem has come back again....

Obviously an easy fix would seem to be to install the current GoldWave again, but I'm really curious as to what it would be that is actually causing the
problem, I have never had the problem before on 4-5 other PC's and laptops I've used over the past 15 years using the same GoldWave 5.16.

Does anyone know what the cause would be and how I could fix it?, I'm so used to GoldWave 5.16 I don't want to change from it - and know it works perfectly well for what I use it for (cutting and merging).

To be clear, opening 4 or more files at the same time (individually, not all open in the same GoldWave window), the 4th file plus any files opened after the 4th file sound muddy/muffled, while the first 3 file sound as they should.

Problem occurs whether it be WAV or FLAC files.
Even if I open the EXACT SAME file 4+ times the 4th+ files are muddy/muffled sounding, and first 3 opened sound as they should.

Thanks

Re: opening 4+ files at same time = 4th+ sounds muffled

Reply #1
Forgot to say in my first post, the problem only seems to be with GoldWave, it does not happen if I try opening 4 files in other audio editing software eg. Audacity.

Re: opening 4+ files at same time = 4th+ sounds muffled

Reply #2
Seems I have solved the problem, and is caused by "DTS Audio Control", the audio customization app that comes preinstalled on devices that support dts audio ( most hp systems and several others). The app is installed when audio driver is installed.
Strange as I have only installed the recommended Realtek Audio Driver for my model HP laptop.
See here:

Seems like it's the the "Audio Enhancements" box on the left, if it's unticked 4 files opened in GoldWave 5.16 will all sound as they should,
but if "Audio Enhancements" is ticked the effects only seem to work on the first 3 files you open in GoldWave 5.16, the 4th file plus any other files opened after the 4th file play with the same sound as if the Audio Enhancements box was unticked even though it is ticked.
Strange as the Graphic Equalizer works properly on as many files as you open, it's just the Audio Enhancements bit that will only work on the first 3 files opened....
I don't have enough knowledge in this area to know why, but that seems to be what's happening....