Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Itunes .aif ripped tracks, some cant be added to foobar (Read 4028 times) previous topic - next topic

Itunes .aif ripped tracks, some cant be added to foobar

I've just ripped a new cd with itunes to aif and then went to add them to foobar to convert to flac and some of the aif wont add to foobar. some do get added but some wont.

My automatic assumption was that they were corrupt but itunes, vlc, windows media player play them fine. weird..

the foobar error i get is as follows

[19:41:46] could not enumerate tracks (Unsupported format or corrupted file) on:
C:\Users\blank\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Compilations\The Mix\2-02 Earthquake.aif

i'm using itunes default automatic settings to rip, i also tried ripping the same cd in itunes but with alac and they all work in foobar fine, i tried ripping to aif again and same problem, some songs wont add.

(before anyone suggests i just rip with foobar, i would but the only player/ripper i know of that will give me the metadata for new albums is itunes. i'm open to suggestions though. eac doesnt.

im using foobar 1.2.6

just did another test
i used a third party app to convert the aif that wont play in foobar to aif again and this new aif did add to foobar and play, so i then decided to do a bit compare with the alac that i previous made.

All tracks decoded fine, no differences found.

Comparing:
"C:\Users\blank\Music\Labrinth Feat. Tinie Tempah\Labrinth Feat. Tinie Tempah - Earthquake.aif"
"C:\Users\blank\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Compilations\The Mix\2-02 Earthquake.m4a"
No differences in decoded data found.

Reply #1
I've just ripped a new cd with itunes to aif and then went to add them to foobar to convert to flac and some of the aif wont add to foobar. some do get added but some wont.

why rip to AIFF? why convert to flac? just use apple lossless and be done with it.

Reply #2
(before anyone suggests i just rip with foobar, i would but the only player/ripper i know of that will give me the metadata for new albums is itunes. i'm open to suggestions though. eac doesnt.
This is by no means a special property of iTunes. Plenty of programs have the ability to look up metadata for CDs. Some of them offer various sources. EAC offers several selectable in its preferences. foobar2000 offers FreeDB via the optional installer-bundled component, foo_freedb.

If you think you are having some problem with EAC, first confirm that you have a freely usable and still active service selected in its preferences, and if that does not work, you could ask for help in CD Hardware/Software rather than assuming it is simply not possible.

Reply #3
^it's worth noting that the foobar component can also use musicbrainz for online lookups as well.

Reply #4
the only reason that im using itunes is because no other program i have recognizes the track names. I've never used alac before so decided to use aif but now i have this issue i will and allready have used alac and converted to flac which is my preferred format. not really an issue for me but a bug report all the same.
db1989, I have no issue with eac, using it for years and is my primary ripper but it doesnt pick up the tracks as its a new cd, works fine on older stuff. same with music brains and others ive tried.
no doubt there is other software out there that can pick up track names of new cds but non that i have installed at the moment or aware off.

Reply #5
iTunes sources data from CDDB by Gracenote. EAC can be tricked into using CDDB if you use a program that itself supports CDDB and can export data thus obtained to cdplayer.ini, the store of information originally used by the basic CD Player built into Windows.

What I can say is that such databases, CDDB or others, require people with unknown CDs to submit the data before other users can download it!  So perhaps it might be a good idea to support databases natively supported by EAC by submitting data every now and again. If no one does so because everyone prefers to use other applications with databases that already have the data (e.g. due to the much larger market-share of iTunes when compared to EAC), things will not get any better.

Anyway, I digress. It will be interesting to see whether a cause can be found of the issue with adding AIFFs to fb2k. Something that will help a lot here is if you can provide details about the files that cause this error, how frequent it is and, in particular, whether they have anything notable in common. That would have been useful information to provide in the first instance.

FWIW, my guess is that tags might be involved in some way. That would have been the case even without your supporting evidence that the audio itself is fine. With that in mind, it is fair to assume that the tags or some other aspect of the container are at fault in some way. Check the tags for any patterns that might exist among the files that do not import successfully. What type of tag is iTunes writing? Do the affected files have any non-standard symbols in their tags? Things like that.

Reply #6
The problem is not what to use but that iTunes AIF (not AIFF) files won't read in any other software. I've had the same problem before and I gave up because I only use FLAC anyway, it was just a test but still annoying.

In iTunes 11 (last version) I can't find a way to create AIFF files but only AIF.

Reply #7
Since when is AIF anything other than an abbreviation of AIFF for use in filenames to enable compatibility with legacy systems/drives?

If you are alleging that AIF is actually a thing in its own right, and a different format that has fundamental differences from AIFF, I think we need a citation for that.

Reply #8
Thanks for your replies. I cant see anything that stands out about the tags preventing the files from adding but i have discovered that if i simply remove the tag then the aif will add to foobar. so could well be something weird about the way itunes tags its aif files or maybe foobar could be made to work around any dodgy files.

got a few more tests to try.

OK, simply adding a new tag element and saving will make it add to foobar, in fact re-saving the tag will work and make it add to foobar. that eliminates any funky characters in the tags and means something weird is up with either the way foobar reads or itunes writes the aif tags.

i have to say that my other programs ive tried with the itunes aif do work, taudioconvertor, dbpoweramp, xrecodeII

regarding frequency of the problem, out of 20 songs on an album, only 10 add to foobar

Reply #9
iTunes 10.7 will works just as expected.

Reply #10
Can you confirm whether iTunes 10.7 solves the issue with apparently incompatible tags, dobo? If not, please create files that both do and do not exhibit the problem (before and after the seeming fix makes most sense, I suppose), and make them available to the developers for examination. Easiest would be to post them to fb2k: Uploads, but if doing so, please make sure the files are not copyrighted or are less than 30 seconds long.

Reply #11
OK i will rerip and test.

just for the record my current itunes version that didnt work as expected was 11.02.26 but have just noticed the latest is 11.0.3 so will update and try that version first, then save the offending tracks if it still does.
if it still does fail i may get round to trying the older 10.7 at some point.

Reply #12
Oops, that shows how out of touch I am with iTunes! I just presumed 10.7 was the new version. Well, if you are able to test that, it might provide some indication of whether this was always an issue or was introduced recently. Either way, example files will enable the devs to have a look and get an idea of what is going on with the tags or whatever else the cause might be.

Reply #13
just reripped in 11.0.3 and same issue, some tracks wont add to foobar.

might as well try 10.7, brb, this will take longer than expected have uninstall reboot blah blah blah, stupid itunes

Reply #14
I've now confirmed that in Itunes 10.7 all .aif files add to foobar but with latest itunes 11.0.3 some but not all files wont add to foobar. The same CD was used.

Reply #15
Thanks. So, we now know that whatever is causing the problem seems to have been introduced after 10.7. Please try to upload representative files that do and do not work so that the developers, or perhaps even helpful other members with a knowledge of AAC/MP4, can try to ascertain what the difference is.

Reply #16
probably best not to upload them, but ive got them in my dropbox, can i email a dev a link or something?

Reply #18
email sent