Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [intended behavior]Tries to play files on non-present locations (Read 19082 times) previous topic - next topic

[intended behavior]Tries to play files on non-present locations

Foobar2000 v1.0 will try to play files located on media not present on the system .

I have about 300GB music in various lossless formats on a disk that is only present on the system when I decide so .
After installing foobar2000 v1.0 I forgot to mount the disk before selecting "Play random",
foobar then runs trough the entire collection and tries to play files on media that is not present.
Foobar should detect that the location is not available and throw some error-message instead of trying to play what isn't there .
( all files are displayed in the "Album list" so I can browse by directory-structure btw. I don't have other playlists at all)

Code: [Select]
Core (2010-01-09 12:47:00)
    foobar2000 core 1.0
foo_abx.dll (2009-06-07 14:25:26)
    ABX Comparator 1.3.4
foo_albumlist.dll (2010-01-09 12:44:46)
    Album List 4.4
foo_cdda.dll (2010-01-09 12:44:42)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2010-01-09 12:44:32)
    Converter 1.4
foo_dsp_std.dll (2010-01-09 12:44:48)
    Standard DSP Array 1.0
foo_input_alac.dll (2009-03-22 15:15:46)
    ALAC Decoder 1.0.3
foo_input_monkey.dll (2009-05-01 14:40:52)
    Monkey's Audio Decoder 2.1.4
foo_input_shorten.dll (2009-11-15 21:46:36)
    Shorten decoder 0.4.2.2
foo_input_std.dll (2010-01-09 12:44:24)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_out_asio.dll (2009-03-22 15:15:46)
    ASIO support 1.2.7
foo_out_wasapi.dll (2009-05-19 22:45:18)
    WASAPI output support 2.1
foo_rgscan.dll (2010-01-09 12:44:24)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.0.9
foo_ui_columns.dll (2010-01-05 23:03:59)
    Columns UI 0.3.8.2
foo_ui_std.dll (2010-01-09 12:44:52)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_uie_albumlist.dll (2009-06-13 23:49:19)
    Album list panel 0.3.5

foo_uie_vis_peakmeter_spectrum.dll (2008-04-19 20:18:50)
    Peakmeter Spectrum Visualisation 0.2.0.0 beta

I realize it's a third-party component but still : It would be nice if I was allowed to decide to take my chances anyway,
I NEED this component, it's a major reason for why I selected foobar over all the other players .
Anyway I can get it to load  ?

[!--sizeo:1--][span style=\"font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]Moderation: Codeboxed the components list.[/size]

Reply #1
Foobar2000 v1.0 will try to play files located on media not present on the system .

I have about 300GB music in various lossless formats on a disk that is only present on the system when I decide so .
After installing foobar2000 v1.0 I forgot to mount the disk before selecting "Play random",
foobar then runs trough the entire collection and tries to play files on media that is not present.
Foobar should detect that the location is not available and throw some error-message instead of trying to play what isn't there .
Just press the stop button. There's not really a way for fb2k to determine that the next N items in the playlist are all from the same volume without trying to play them and giving you the same "Unable to open location" error.

elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
I wish we had a "removable device" feature. That way when media library source is not available, tracks from it doesnt appear as part of the library. I facing that problem everyday as i am using the same foobar installation on 2 computers with 2 different media library sources.

Reply #3
Althought i have tested it  without any 3rd parties yet, random playing non existent files causes foobar2000 to freeze on my one-core system, i m not able to press stop without killing it.

Reply #4
I have ONE (1) music-DIR, "I:\Music" .
Are you telling me foobar is to stupid to realize that "I:" is not present on the system ? And that it's intended behaviour ?
I have NEVER experienced this in any other application.

Know what ? Just forget it, I'll upgrade to 0.9.6.9 until I find something else, maybe something that can figure out on it's own that a sub-dir named "Artwork"
contains ....ARTWORK and display it without me having to learn yet another scripting-language ..

Reply #5
Althought i have tested it  without any 3rd parties yet, random playing non existent files causes foobar2000 to freeze on my one-core system, i m not able to press stop without killing it.

Same situation @ Intel core duo system ...
I preform a 'Move' operation on my entire library, then somehow fb2k crashes (due to 3rd plugin)
When I restart fb2k, all songs have wrong file locations (due to crash and unsaved library), fb2k start to play all these non-existed tracks (I use 'shuffle(track)' play order), and Console window popups.
I just can't close the Console window nor press the stop or pause button .... finally fb2k crashed (may due to 3rd plugin)

Hope fb2k provide a 'Stop after [ n ] error tracks' option at Advanced preferences 

Reply #6
Stop after [ n ] errors is a feature that i would like to use - i have a laptop and two external hdds - if i go somewhere its impossible to for me to press stop - its unpleasant. "Stop after n" - or "Try with to play a song from different drive after n errors" is something that will be useful to me - rarely but very useful.

Reply #8
Actually I think there was  a feature like this, because  "repeat track" on non existent track, after several loops, stopped execution.

Unfortunately I  had a regression  and after v1.0betas  , even this doesnt work, thats why I m puzzled if  foobar core is really the one to blame.

Reply #9
Guess:
Remove foo_uie_biography and/or tell foo_jesus not to save on every track change.

I have ONE (1) music-DIR, "I:\Music" .
Are you telling me foobar is to stupid to realize that "I:" is not present on the system ? And that it's intended behaviour ?
Of course it realizes I: is not on the system, that's why it's giving you the "Unable to open item for playback (Object not found)" error.

Know what ? Just forget it, I'll upgrade to 0.9.6.9 until I find something else, maybe something that can figure out on it's own that a sub-dir named "Artwork"
contains ....ARTWORK and display it without me having to learn yet another scripting-language ..
How is adding artwork\ to the beginning of a search pattern too difficult for you?

If your attitude is always this bad, please use another piece of software so I no longer have to read your posts anymore.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #10
Here's an experimental component that should fix your infinite looping issues: stop on error.

Reply #11
Although i havent tested it without any 3rd parties yet, random playing non existent files causes foobar2000 to freeze on my one-core system, i m not able to press stop without killing it.

I just isolated it, in my case foo_uie library tree(same author of biography view) was causing the problem.

It was a bit of surprise because i just use this plugin just a couple of months while I am  encountering this problem for ages, probably by other plugins I dont use anymore(among others the biography view).

I m glad I  busted it, thanks @snake for the hint and sorry for slightly hijacking the topic!

Reply #12
Here's an experimental component that should fix your infinite looping issues: stop on error.

Thank you Case for this component. It works - but not and if you:
1. Exit F2k while playing a song from external source
2. Eject the source using its context menu from My computer (but leave it connected to the PC)
3. Start F2k
But now with v1.0 it isn't such a problem because now i can stop F2k. It isn't actually a problem but just to report it.

Reply #13
I wish we had a "removable device" feature. That way when media library source is not available, tracks from it doesnt appear as part of the library. I facing that problem everyday as i am using the same foobar installation on 2 computers with 2 different media library sources.

I've been thinking the same thing.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #14
if i had 2 sources like that, i'd create an album list branch or facet/filter panel at the top level to separate them

Code: [Select]
$left(%path%,2)

to show the drive letter for example.

Reply #15
Thanks for reporting, NEOhidra. Uploaded a fixed version.

Re: [intended behavior]Tries to play files on non-present locations

Reply #16
This plug-in does not work when playing an unsupported format.

Reply #17
I was silly and thought it couldn't be done. I have just uploaded a new version that handles this scenario.

Reply #18
I just installed the plug-in RAM-Disk.
When I accidentally play the track that does not exist in RAM-Disc, FB2K began to try again and again.

Reply #19
Freshly released version 0.6 of the component should now be able to stop playback in all kinds of error cases.

Reply #20
@Case , Can you please also stop playback of dead radio streams?

For example, I sometimes listen to this A-RnB-FM-WEB1 station.
They used to stream at :
http://streaming206.radionomy.com/A-RnB-FM-WEB1
but now they changed the URL to :
http://streaming208.radionomy.com/A-RnB-FM-WEB1
Before I noticed it I clicked on the "OLD" stream and foobar  was "stuck" during almost 45 seconds with a "Starting Playback..." message on the status bar before displaying "Unable to open item for playback (Connection error):" Error and starting to play the next item on the playlist.

Can you please stop the playback in this case like you stop the playback on a dead mp3 ?

I attached here a playlist (m3u) of some radio stations including the "dead" URL stream.

Foobar v1.4 beta 11
Stop on Error 0.6
Win 7 x64
Thanks in advance.

Reply #21
(update to my previous post) :

Foobar doesn't stuck on all "dead" streams. On some streams like the 2 streams on my second attachment the error comes quickly and foobar continues to the next item on the playlist.

Reply #22
The purpose of this component was originally to prevent foobar2000 from hanging. With slow operations there's no fear of that.

That said I took a look at the problem and unfortunately my component can't help here. The callback I use is called only after the core has tried opening the stream for 20 seconds and given up. It's up to Peter to improve the behavior here.

Reply #23
Hello All!

It would be nice if the foobar2000 show "dead" links (or unknown format files) at playlists as on the attached picture (just cross out them)
Maybe Peter or other developers will draw the attention on this.

Thanks.

Reply #24
Hi!
@Case,
maybe can you add function for component Stop on Error to generate the field name <ERROR> in TAG when file (or link) is corrupt or isn't playback ?
In this way you can display these elements by $meta(error) at the playlist.
Behavior like the element Skip Track only with auto generated field <ERROR> if playlist element has playback issue. 

Thanks.