Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: IEM Question (Read 1939 times) previous topic - next topic

IEM Question

Hi guys.

I have a pair of Future Sonic Atrios, the ones with the MG7 10mm drivers, which I love.  Except for the fact that they don't really fit perfectly.  I guess I have larger than average ear canals or something, but the largest plugs (either the duo-flange silicon sleeves or the foam barrels) that come with the phones are too small (won't seal tightly even if I press the phones so far into my ears that the plastic housing is mashed up against the outside of my ear canal).  I tried sleeves from other vendors - the largest P-series from Comply, the Monster SuperTip sampler, several of the different styles of ProGuard EarPortz, and rather too many $$$ of others.  Nothing seals properly.  The largest Comply's are the best, and if I compress them into a tiny cylinder, lubricate it, get it as far as possible into my ears and hold it there until it fully expands, it ***JUST*** seals.  If I move suddenly or pull on the cord or do anything else that moves the phones, I lose the seal (and the bass, or most of it, anyway.)  It's pretty obvious they're not sealing tightly, as when I pull them out of my ears the shape of the foam is not altered by being in my ears - it's a perfectly round cylinder.

I'm thinking of trying the Future Sonic mg6Pro monitors with the custom molded bodies, but I was looking for feedback if anyone's had experience with moving from a universal fit IEM to a custom molded model, when the universal IEM just didn't fit right.  I know FutureSonics (and others...) offer a service providing custom molded sleeves that replace the standard tips on the IEM which I could try on the existing MG7s, but it seems that by the time I pay the audiologist's fee and the molding fee, and wait for them to be made, I might as well go ahead and get the whole shebang.

Oh, I know you're all well intentioned and stuff, but ***PLEASE*** don't go off track suggesting I try other brands of IEMs.  Before I settled on the Future Sonics, I tried several Klipsch models, the Monster Turbine Coppers, the Shure SE530s, UltimateEars TripleFi, EarSonics SM3, Grados (the 8's, not the 10's), Etymotic, Sennheiser (uh, IE60's?) and maybe a few others.  I just really, really like the Future Sonic sound.  I use a pair of Sennheiser Hd600 at work where I can't be totally isolated, and I like them also, although I guess it'd be hard to pick two more different sounding kinds of headphones.  Go figure.

Thanks!