Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2244823 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #150
MM-
this is what i did

1) uninstalled ipod updater
2) told itunes to let me manually manage the library and playlists (even though it never started when i plugged it in i figured it couldn't hurt)

tried everything again.

perfect. amazing.

i encountered something else

i loaded the library and changed some tags on a couple of files. then i rewrote the DB. but when i reloaded the library the tags hadn't changed.

any ideas?

Reply #151
Sorry for not being clear before. But for example if I wanted to play Dani California and I selected it, the iPod would stop for a second and go to the next song. I often find that selecting a song with one word as the title it plays with no questions though sometimes I can get a multiworded song to play, sometimes. Althought if I play a one word song and go back to the song I wanted it would play fine as well... its quite the mystery.

iTunesDB

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, due to a bug, most of the (many) files you sent ended up in the F99 directory. I think, this is the cause of what you see. Possibly the iPod gives up if it takes too long to seek - and navigating from the previous track could have overcome that.

I fixed the bug for 0.2.9. But that won't move your files - easiest thing is probably to remove them all and send them again with 0.2.9 when its released.

MM-
this is what i did

1) uninstalled ipod updater
2) told itunes to let me manually manage the library and playlists (even though it never started when i plugged it in i figured it couldn't hurt)

tried everything again.

perfect. amazing.

It must have been number 2, because that is what I have mine set to. Still, strange. Probably it was the iPodService doing it then. Possibly it was having trouble reading the DB - I made some chanes for 0.2.9 so  it looks more like something iTunes wrote. Maybe it will help.

i encountered something else

i loaded the library and changed some tags on a couple of files. then i rewrote the DB. but when i reloaded the library the tags hadn't changed.

any ideas?

I changed the name of the "Rewite iPod database" command from 0.2.7 to the "Reload metadata.." one in 0.2.8. In fact its generally quite confusing. But Ill explain it as best as I can:

In 0.2.8:
-Rewrite iPod Database: Simply loads the database and writes it out again. In otherwords, not much.
-Reload iPod library metadata from files: Loads the iPod library, asks foobar to read metadata from all of the files in the library if changed, and then writes the db out again using metadata supplied by foobar2000.

Also, for some reasons, what shows up in foobar isn't necessarily what's in the DB.

So, did you use the "Reload iPod library metadata from files" command? That should update the iPod's DB.

Reply #152
no- i rewrote the db.
i'll use reload library from metadata next time.

thanks again.

Reply #153
Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, due to a bug, most of the (many) files you sent ended up in the F99 directory. I think, this is the cause of what you see. Possibly the iPod gives up if it takes too long to seek - and navigating from the previous track could have overcome that.

I fixed the bug for 0.2.9. But that won't move your files - easiest thing is probably to remove them all and send them again with 0.2.9 when its released.

Thanks musicmusic, keep up the good work!

Reply #154
Actually, if this is Windows 2000 I found one probable cause of this.

Try this test version. Check if it works, and either way post all the info under "File/iPod/Debug" here (with your iPod connected).

Thanks
It is Win2000 and the patch works, thank you.

File/iPod/Debug:
Code: [Select]
Volume 0
Name: HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8521B
Class: CDROM
Class GUID: 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
Removal policy: Error: Unknown error code (3758096905)
Capabilities: 0
Path: \\?\ide#cdromhl-dt-st_cd-rom_gcr-8521b_______________1.02____#5&22da6f84&0&0.0.0#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
Volume Name: \\?\Volume{f996b411-9a52-11da-9b00-806d6172696f}\
Logical Drive: E:\
Logical Drive Type: 5
Has iTunesDB: No
Volume 1
Name: Error: Dati non validi.  
Class: Volume
Class GUID: 71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F
Capabilities: 60
Path: \\?\storage#removablemedia#8&64e41ce&0&rm#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
Volume Name: \\?\Volume{111111d8-9a61-11da-80dd-000e8e00fc5f}\
Logical Drive: G:\
Logical Drive Type: 2
Has iTunesDB: Yes
Volume 2
Capabilities: E0
Path: \\?\storage#volume#1&30a96598&0&signature76bde1b1offset7e00lengthe4fbf6400#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
Volume Name: \\?\Volume{f996b413-9a52-11da-9b00-806d6172696f}\
Logical Drive: D:\
Logical Drive Type: 3
Volume 3
Capabilities: E0
Path: \\?\storage#volume#1&30a96598&0&signaturedcaddcadoffset7e00length17fe02000#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
Volume Name: \\?\Volume{f996b415-9a52-11da-9b00-806d6172696f}\
Logical Drive: C:\
Logical Drive Type: 3

Alessandro

Reply #155
0.2.9 released, see first post/changelog for details.

Actually, if this is Windows 2000 I found one probable cause of this.

Try this test version. Check if it works, and either way post all the info under "File/iPod/Debug" here (with your iPod connected).

Thanks
It is Win2000 and the patch works, thank you.

File/iPod/Debug:
[...]
Alessandro

Thanks for that

Reply #156
I'm not a programer but my gut says that this is no longer alpha...

Reply #157
Any chance we can get support for the iTunes on cellphones? I have a Motorola L7 (SLVR) and would love an alternative to iTunes and mototunes. If you need any files I can zip up the whole directory (sans music). Almost everything is identical except for the directories. I can provide source code for another program that can do it too.

Reply #158
thank you musicmusic for your wonderful plugin - i was desperately waiting for an alterternative to itunes that works with 0.92. it works like a charm as well - that is, for normal use. i found out that when creating *.m4a with chapters, the ipod is able to show them all correctly and navigating seems to work, but when you skip a track it always plays the first one. i'm moving right now but i'll be glad to help you (if you think that bug might be dop's fault) debug it. i could also provide a little video, if i haven't made myself clear enough and you still have questions.
well, thanks again!

so long,

zy

Reply #159
Any chance we can get support for the iTunes on cellphones? I have a Motorola L7 (SLVR) and would love an alternative to iTunes and mototunes. If you need any files I can zip up the whole directory (sans music). Almost everything is identical except for the directories.

I don't think it would be that simple to add support for them. But I'll take a look at the database and other files you send. Also, is the directory layout the same or different? I.e "/iPod_control/iTunes" for database etc., and "iPod_Control/Music/Fxx" for songs etc.

I can provide source code for another program that can do it too.
No, just the database files is fine thanks

thank you musicmusic for your wonderful plugin - i was desperately waiting for an alterternative to itunes that works with 0.92. it works like a charm as well - that is, for normal use. i found out that when creating *.m4a with chapters, the ipod is able to show them all correctly and navigating seems to work, but when you skip a track it always plays the first one. i'm moving right now but i'll be glad to help you (if you think that bug might be dop's fault) debug it. i could also provide a little video, if i haven't made myself clear enough and you still have questions.
well, thanks again!

so long,

zy
Sorry chapters aren't supported yet. But its high on my priority list

Reply #160
Just a quick question, in the Wiki you are listing some video specific metadata fields.  Does this mean that we could use foobar to potentially transfer video over to the iPod or are those fields there purely for compatibility reasons?

Either way thanks for creating a fantastic foobar add-on, it's working fantastically well

Reply #161
Minor bug I just noticed:
On-The-Go ## playlists caused by using foo_dop aren't sorted right.  On my iPod when I view playlists I have:
Most played 01
Most played 05
Most played 25
Most played 50
On-The-Go 1
On-The-Go 2
On-The-Go 3
On-The-Go 4
Played 01 days
Played 02 days
Played 07 days
Recent 01 days
Recent 07 days
Recent 31 days
On-The-Go 5
On-The-Go 6

The On-The-Go 1-4 playlists were caused by itunes and foo_pod in the past and are sorted in the right spot alphabetically.  The 05 and 06 ones are from when I started using foo_dop and appear at the end of the list instead of with the rest of them.  Ideally when the DB is written, if it causes a new On-The-Go ## playlist then it would check and sort it with the rest of them in the playlist order rather than tacking them on to the end of the list.

---

Unrelated to that, with the previous discussion about non-ascii filenames and having to append numbers when you get dupes due to the same number of underscores, have you considered replacing the characters with a random A-Z character instead?  Believe both itunes and foo_pod do it that way, for those of us with a lot of non-ascii stuff it'll probably be safer.

Reply #162
Just a quick question, in the Wiki you are listing some video specific metadata fields.  Does this mean that we could use foobar to potentially transfer video over to the iPod or are those fields there purely for compatibility reasons?

No, you can't really send videos using foo_dop. The fields are just the mappings to the iPod's database. So you know which fields are used etc.

Either way thanks for creating a fantastic foobar add-on, it's working fantastically well
Thanks and you're welcome

On-The-Go ## playlists caused by using foo_dop aren't sorted right.  On my iPod when I view playlists I have:

The On-The-Go 1-4 playlists were caused by itunes and foo_pod in the past and are sorted in the right spot alphabetically.  The 05 and 06 ones are from when I started using foo_dop and appear at the end of the list instead of with the rest of them.  Ideally when the DB is written, if it causes a new On-The-Go ## playlist then it would check and sort it with the rest of them in the playlist order rather than tacking them on to the end of the list.
Yeh, noticed that myself. I'll fix it for next version.

Unrelated to that, with the previous discussion about non-ascii filenames and having to append numbers when you get dupes due to the same number of underscores, have you considered replacing the characters with a random A-Z character instead?  Believe both itunes and foo_pod do it that way, for those of us with a lot of non-ascii stuff it'll probably be safer.

Well, AFAIK iTunes just always uses some arbitary (as far as I know) four letters for filenames.
As I remember, foo_pod replaces everything not ascii with 2 random letters. That includes é (etc.) which foo_dop rather maps to e. Only characters that can't be mapped to anything ASCII are mapped to underscores.

The foo_dop method should work fine really. The problem reported before was probably caused by the "F99 bug".

I don't think there is any benefit from doing it foo_pod style.

Reply #164
Yeh, noticed that myself. I'll fix it for next version.
Nice, thank you.

Well, AFAIK iTunes just always uses some arbitary (as far as I know) four letters for filenames.
As I remember, foo_pod replaces everything not ascii with 2 random letters. That includes é (etc.) which foo_dop rather maps to e. Only characters that can't be mapped to anything ASCII are mapped to underscores.
Wasn't aware that foo_pod did two to one, supposed that sort of makes sense since they're double byte characters usually.  About 2/3rds of my music collection falls into the category of "can't be mapped to anything ascii", call it 30000 tracks roughtly.  With a 20gb ipod only about 10% of that fits, so I'm not really worried about it being an issue now.  It's just kind of one of those things that seems like it could be a problem in the future.

Reply #165
Wasn't aware that foo_pod did two to one, supposed that sort of makes sense since they're double byte characters usually.  About 2/3rds of my music collection falls into the category of "can't be mapped to anything ascii", call it 30000 tracks roughtly.  With a 20gb ipod only about 10% of that fits, so I'm not really worried about it being an issue now.  It's just kind of one of those things that seems like it could be a problem in the future.

Actually, let me correct myself:
For all tracks containing é, foo_pod mapped it to NN. So its not random at all, but maybe related to the letter it mapped from.

Anyway, for you to hit the limit you'd need 100 files with same mapped name (means same length, any ascii chars such as spaces at same position, ..) in same Fxx directory. Its not really going to happen, I dont remember upto what dir iTunes uses, but if you are using F00,..,F99 you'd be hard pressed to get 100 files in each dir as it is. I'll bump the number it tries upto 999 anyway.

Im not particulary sure foo_pod has any duplicate filename handling anyway.

Reply #166
If I just want my AAC files' SoundCheck data set from their RG data, how would I go about doing that? I tried sending one to the iPod through foo_dop, then sending it through iTunes and rewriting the RG data and then the database from foo_dop. Neither worked.

Reply #167
I sometimes get this error when unmounting:

iPodService Error: Invalid iPod Handle, Code: 8004E06A/-2147164054

Reply #168
two questions :

is there any way to get album art on my ipod using this plugin instead of itunes ?

The playlist "Ipod Media Library" is on my playlist switcher ...is it okay to delete this? There are no songs in it and i want to make sure it's safe to delete without messing my ipod up.

also...this doesnt have to do with the plugin but does anyone know how i can disable songs from remembering the spot they were last played so when i click on it it will start from the beginning on my ipod...not the last spot it was stopped.

THanks guys, great plugin , keep up the good work!

Reply #169
This plugin is great. For me now, there are two things missing for me to drop iTunes forever:

1. Ability to send videos to the iPod (doesn't matter if foobar cannot visualize them)
2. Some way of uploading podcasts to the iPod (and even better: download them from RSS feeds storing all data on the iPod itself, allowing for download from multiple locations).

Are any of these two features on your todo list?

Reply #170

I sometimes get that as well but I think it's a known issue as it's in the wiki.  Whenever it happens I just use the Safely Remove Hardware option within XP and that works fine.

Reply #171

I sometimes get that as well but I think it's a known issue as it's in the wiki.  Whenever it happens I just use the Safely Remove Hardware option within XP and that works fine.

just disable the ipodservice - it's not needed anyway.

Reply #172
two questions :

is there any way to get album art on my ipod using this plugin instead of itunes ?

The playlist "Ipod Media Library" is on my playlist switcher ...is it okay to delete this? There are no songs in it and i want to make sure it's safe to delete without messing my ipod up.

also...this doesnt have to do with the plugin but does anyone know how i can disable songs from remembering the spot they were last played so when i click on it it will start from the beginning on my ipod...not the last spot it was stopped.

anyone?

Reply #173

two questions :

anyone?

no, noone! stop bumping. and no, you can not change that behavior of your ipod. if you really need to, check out ipodlinux and please don't ask questions about it, i won't answer anyway. also, why don't you just try deleting that media library? what do you think the reset button is for?

Reply #174
no, noone! stop bumping. and no, you can not change that behavior of your ipod. if you really need to, check out ipodlinux and please don't ask questions about it, i won't answer anyway. also, why don't you just try deleting that media library? what do you think the reset button is for?

Don't be aggressive, we're all friends here

@ Questions:

No

Yes

Dunno