Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: freedb Problems (Read 25222 times) previous topic - next topic

freedb Problems

At some point yesterday freedb just stopped working. I have been trying to get it to work or to find alternatives ever since and I had no luck. EAC reports "Error - cannot connect to host" or "Error - Server Error" or "HTTP Protocol Failure" after searching for 30 seconds or so. I have the URL for the server set to "http://freedb.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi" I am running Vista 32bit and I was not having any trouble until some point yesterday. Are the freedb servers down?

freedb Problems

Reply #3
EAC already has all the mirrors to select from. Just go to EAC -> freedb options -> freedb server drop down menu. I just tried the Austrian mirror, it works for me... Maybe you have some kind of connection problems... maybe your EAC can't access the net because of your firewall or smth.
lame -V 0

freedb Problems

Reply #4
EAC already has all the mirrors to select from. Just go to EAC -> freedb options -> freedb server drop down menu. I just tried the Austrian mirror, it works for me... Maybe you have some kind of connection problems... maybe your EAC can't access the net because of your firewall or smth.

For some reason my EAC did not have a list of mirrors. I uninstalled EAC and reinstalled and now I have a list of mirrors but I still get the server error message. I tried some of the other servers and I got the same error. I checked Windows Firewall and added EAC to the list of exceptions but that didn't make any difference. EAC was working with freedb before without any modifications to Windows Firewall. My Internet access seems to be fine I'm not having an trouble getting out to the web.

freedb Problems

Reply #5
That's interresting, broodwich... sorry I can't help you.
lame -V 0

freedb Problems

Reply #6
Thanks anyway, perhaps somone else will have some ideas. I tested EAC on my other computer which is running XP and I get the same problem, "Server Error". I reset my hardware router as well, that did not help either.

freedb Problems

Reply #7
At Last! I'm back in business. I just fired up Foobar2000 on my machine and asked it to get the tags for an audio cd that I had inserted and it went out to freedb right away. So that gave me a clue that something was wrong or different in EAC. I was poking around in Foobar trying to figure out if there was a way to export the ID3 tags from it so that I could impiort them into EAC. I didn't figure that out but I did find the Console command in the Foobar menu. The console listed the commands and communication sent to freedb to query the tag information for my CD. I noticed that Foobar was using a differnt URL so I copied that url...

http://freedb2.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

and pasted it into EAC and now things are working again!

freedb Problems

Reply #8
I was having the same issue last night and this morning.  When I get home from work I will try the new URL you posted.

freedb Problems

Reply #9
I hope it works for you and I hope it continues to work for me. I have ripped three CDs so far with the new settings and it's still working. It also seems much faster at getting the names from freedb than it ever was before.

Edit: I just found this post about freedb2... looks like it's old news.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=46184

freedb Problems

Reply #10
On thursday of last week, I had a lot of trouble with lookups to freedb.org.  Some other folks corroborated that.

Didn't try Fri/Sat, but if thursday was bad, maybe the server problems continue?

-brendan

freedb Problems

Reply #11
At some point yesterday freedb just stopped working. I have been trying to get it to work or to find alternatives ever since and I had no luck. EAC reports "Error - cannot connect to host" or "Error - Server Error" or "HTTP Protocol Failure" after searching for 30 seconds or so. I have the URL for the server set to "http://freedb.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi" I am running Vista 32bit and I was not having any trouble until some point yesterday. Are the freedb servers down?
Bad news...
Well here it is November and I'm having the exact same issues with freedb.org too. freebd2.org worked once I sent EAC over there 
Goodnews...
Vista x64's DRM doesn't affect EAC rips

freedb Problems

Reply #12
You guys do try mirrors when the main site goes down, right?  I usually don't have a problem with the original site, but occasionally it's down.  HA is occasionally unavailable from time to time also; this stuff just happens.

at.freedb.org
au.freedb.org
bg.freedb.org
ca.freedb.org
es.freedb.org
fi.freedb.org
lu.freedb.org
no.freedb.org
uk.freedb.org
us.freedb.org

freedb Problems

Reply #13
I can't access the FreeDB server through EAC. I can access it through FB2K, I can ping the servers and it works. I have scrolled through all the mirrors and no dice in EAC... what is going on?

UPDATE: I just tried a complete reinstall of EAC and REACT... no dice.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

freedb Problems

Reply #14
I can't access the FreeDB server through EAC. I can access it through FB2K, I can ping the servers and it works. I have scrolled through all the mirrors and no dice in EAC... what is going on?

UPDATE: I just tried a complete reinstall of EAC and REACT... no dice.

Try this:

http://freedb2.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

EAC forum mentioned there was a change in the site. It worked for me>
Glass half full!

freedb Problems

Reply #15
This happens from time to time and I am experiencing it as well (EDIT: though it worked fine yesterday).

Try again later or try freedb2.

The funny thing I never mentioned with my previous reply was that HA became unavailable just after I had posted it.

freedb Problems

Reply #16
@ Bilbo:
Fantastic! Worked like a charm!

@ Greynol:
Thanks for the reply. When it comes to technical advice you are one of the few on this forum I always look for first. So when you come out and say, "Yep it doesn't work for me either," I feel confident that I am not loosing my mind. Try Bilbo's suggestion, it worked for me.

Thanks again for the swift reply.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

freedb Problems

Reply #17
Try Bilbo's suggestion, it worked for me.

I did and it worked, though I don't like the fact that with freedb2 EAC bugs you to choose what version you want when there's only one available.  Well, it did suggest that the information was inexact, so maybe the Disc ID was slightly off or inverted.

Thanks for the kind words.

Has anyone tried http://freedb.musicbrainz.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi?

freedb Problems

Reply #18
I can't access the FreeDB server through EAC.

I had the same problem (never had it before, haven't changed my config in almost a year). Tried bilbo's tip and it worked for me too. Thank you bilbo. 

- p

freedb Problems

Reply #20
They are just different databases and each database is only as good as the entries people submit.

When it comes to using them with EAC I wouldn't say either was better than the other.

freedb Problems

Reply #22
Greynol: I had the same problems (seems to be a DNS problem), but NONE of the (at least builtin EAC) mirrors worked!
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

freedb Problems

Reply #24
http://us.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi is currently working.

This happens from time to time and I am experiencing it as well.
Try again later or try freedb2.

Don't say I didn't tell you so!