Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SBR detection/playback (Read 3704 times) previous topic - next topic

SBR detection/playback

Hi. I need to solve two - somewhat related - questions regarding detection and playback of AAC files with SBR:

(1) How can I verify whether an AAC file uses SBR and whether the SBR flag is set in the container ?

According to https://trac.bunkus.org/ticket/757 the raw AAC audio stream does not communicate whether or not it has SBR, instead this info is stored as a flag in its container. I manually set/unset the SBR flag in (in this case) the Matroska container, but this did not change the MediaInfo output at all, so either un/setting the SBR flag did not work OR MediaInfo ignores the container's SBR flag and directly analyzes the raw AAC audio stream similarly to what the coder of MKVtoolnix claims his tool does:

mkvmerge detects whether or not the source contains SBR. In the case of raw AAC files this may be wrong because the container itself doesn't provide a hint. Therefore mkvmerge employs heuristics (it guesses).

In the first case how can I set/unset the SBR flag?
In the second case, what tool can tell me the container's SBR flag status ?

(2) How can I acertain whether or not the player takes account of and uses SBR ?

I wanted to create a file which claims to have SBR but actually doesn't OR a file which doesn't have SBR but erroneously claims to have it
-> in order to compare playback of such file to the source file (same raw audio content but with correct SBR flag). I don't have fine hearing, but I thought the difference must be so obvious, that I could hear it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to produce such a file, as can be seen in the link above.

Can someone help me create a scenario, where I can hear the wrong playback and compare it to how the playback should sound like (when correctly using SBR) ?

Many thanks

SBR detection/playback

Reply #1
I wanted to create a file which claims to have SBR but actually doesn't OR a file which doesn't have SBR but erroneously claims to have it

Oops - you said the same thing twice, but we know what you meant to say.

SBR detection/playback

Reply #2
thanks.
correction: "... create a file which erroneously claims not to have SBR but actually does OR a file which doesn't have SBR but claims otherwise"