Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Force Check Disk or recommend other tool ... (Read 15859 times) previous topic - next topic

Force Check Disk or recommend other tool ...

I need to check my system disk C: for errors. This action is impossible when in Win XP so this is usually performed before the PC boots to OS. Unfortunately I can't force my PC to do it although I type Y (Yes) when checkdisk is asking me whether I want to allow the check before booting to OS.
I'm searching for some solution how to force the system to do it because it obviously for unknown reason doesn't work.
Entering regedit key for forcing checkdisk haven't changed anything.
Is there someone who can help?

PS: I'm suspicious for some problems / errors - wrong calculation of free space.
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #1
Apparently you can try this: "What works for me is to: Start>Run>msconfig>OK, click on the BOOT.INI tab and check /SAFEBOOT, click Apply>OK and Restart.  After CHKDSK runs, your computer will come up in Safe Mode.  You need to repeat the above again, but this time uncheck /SAFEBOOT. "

Reply #2
If you want a very thorough assay and repair of your HD I can recommend Gibson's SpinRite.  Money back guarantee.  Yes, it will ressurrect Lazarus.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #3
I need to check my system disk C: for errors. This action is impossible when in Win XP so this is usually performed before the PC boots to OS. Unfortunately I can't force my PC to do it although I type Y (Yes) when checkdisk is asking me whether I want to allow the check before booting to OS.
I'm searching for some solution how to force the system to do it because it obviously for unknown reason doesn't work.
Entering regedit key for forcing checkdisk haven't changed anything.
Is there someone who can help?

PS: I'm suspicious for some problems / errors - wrong calculation of free space.

Use your XP install CD.
Boot your install CD. Skip automated recovery.  Wait for the CD to load.
When prompted to install or repair, choose repair 'R' and log into your Windows.
Than you can run chkdsk(if I remember the command's name correctly). Type 'help' for options and commands.

Reply #4
If you want a very thorough assay and repair of your HD I can recommend Gibson's SpinRite.  Money back guarantee.  Yes, it will ressurrect Lazarus.

Cheers

Regretably, I had one that even Spinrite couldn't fix.

Fortunately, I got the necessary crap off the system fast enough.

Anyone want an80GB paperweight? 

But I agree, if SpinRite can't fix it, nothing much can.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #6
"fsutil dirty set C:" should enforce a check on next startup.

Reply #7
Sometimes using fsutil dirty set c: won't even work and it's the second time around in as many years that the bug has bitten my system, why I don't know.

I have a workaround that I made just last month which I have to use myself to force ChkDsk to run on the next system restart. It's a pre-compiled batch file and reg file, and includes a readme text document.

Download (only for Windows XP systems):
MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/?mkmdjgnzyyo
RapidShare: http://rapidshare.com/files/189888109/chkdskc.zip

MD5 Checksum (chkdskc.zip): BFB519719D1D1BEF44350EF88C8704BF

Edit 1: Added the MD5 checksum.
Edit 2: Re-uploaded after accidentally deleting the download.
Edit 3: Re-re-uploaded again.

Reply #8
Apparently you can try this: "What works for me is to: Start>Run>msconfig>OK, click on the BOOT.INI tab and check /SAFEBOOT, click Apply>OK and Restart.  After CHKDSK runs, your computer will come up in Safe Mode.  You need to repeat the above again, but this time uncheck /SAFEBOOT. "
OK, I'll write you my story... 

I've tried CiTay's suggestion. Unfortunately it forced checkdisk but posted that the file system is RAW and that it is not able to check it. Then it booted to Windows XP safe mode. Unfortunately there was just a black screen, cursor and safe mode noticements in the corners of the screen and nothing else. No keyboard shortcuts worked, no icons on the desktop, no main bar and Start button...

After couple of tries I've known that this is the end of that Windows XP installation.

I brought the HD to my friend's try to run check disk, it checked and possibly recovered any errors, but Partition Magic still reported errors and booting led to the same situation.

So I went to another friends and made backup of the data from my system disk C: although not everything was possible to copy, either for some problems with this NTFS partition or user rights (??? ).

So now I have Ubuntu Linux 8.04 LTS for more than week. I have couple of issues with the graphic drivers and settings, but I still haven't given up... 

@ Andavari: Anyway thanks for your PM > letting me know about new posts in this thread.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #9
I have a workaround that I made just last month which I have to use myself to force ChkDsk to run on the next system restart. It's a pre-compiled batch file and reg file, and includes a readme text document.

Download (only for Windows XP systems):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5ymirmaymv2

MD5 Checksum (chkdskc.zip): 6A9E1924423788387D5613527791F13A

Edit 1: Added the MD5 checksum.
Edit 2: Re-uploaded after accidentally deleting the download.
Hell-o Andavari,
you have deleted the file from mediafire?
Code: [Select]
Invalid File. This error has been forwarded to MediaFire's development team.

The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.
Now I have a similar problem as I had in the first post at work and our IT manager is not hearing, so I want to try out by myself.

Reply #10
"fsutil dirty set C:" should enforce a check on next startup.
... haven't forced anything. But during every boot I get a notice: "Volume can't be opened for direct access." < It is a translation, I have a Czech Windows XP localization at work.

Reply #11
Sorry this is twelve days after the fact hence the forums wouldn't even load for me for several days.

It's still on MediaFire and the link works for me. Perhaps something on your end, however I'll re-upload it to MediaFire and create a RapidShare link as well but who knows how long the RapidShare one will stay up because if it isn't downloaded for sometime they'll delete it.

Edit:
Re-uploaded, see post #8.

Reply #12
@ Andavari: Thank you very much. Your batch script worked for me. What made me wonder was that the first checkdisk performed by your script was so quick - I've never encountered such a thing. The same it was in case of using a GUI system tool with repair the errors and search & recover errourous sectors.

When I used command prompt with:
Code: [Select]
chkdsk C: /R /X
...it have finally done what I have expected, a complete test!

Defragmentation works now too.