Last post by B-N-O -
Sorry if this problem has already been discussed, but my usage of Google found me nothing, so... On "Test & Copy Selected Tracks - Compressed" command EAC creates WAV-file with the proper name in the target directory and then says "The external compressor returned an error!"; the command line displayed is
so I think something is wrong with the order of operations - compressor-related code assumes WAV is created as a temporary, but WAV-reading code thinks it should go into the target folder. Anyway, I'm at loss about how to make this work properly (or why it broke in the first place).
(EAC version is 1.0 beta 3 from August 2011, in "Compression options" options "Delete WAV" and "check return code" are checked, "Test encoder" works OK)
Last post by magicgoose -
This isn't a correct way to compare lossy codecs since their ultimate goal is to press as much bits as possible out of the song while keeping the necessary information to fool the ears&brain into not hearing any difference from the original under normal circumstances (like, not listening to isolated channel differences, some extreme EQ settings, etc). They might use quite different methods to do this but this alone doesn't mean that one is better than the other. Regrading the bass, if you pick a quality setting when the codec should be transparent, it follows that the bass is perceived the same.
mp3 cbr 320kbps should be transparent and it is already waste of space, there's no point using CBR 320 if you can use V0 or even V2 (V2 is transparent to most people AFAIK, and if it's not, it's probably a "killer sample" of some sort). AAC at even higher bitrates is, in turn, even more silly. If you can hear a difference with the source on any of these, it probably means you're doing something wrong with the conversion or playback... because in both cases it should normally be impossible to hear difference.
Last post by porotikos -
Hi guys. when it comes to foobar i am a noob. good in following instructions but still a noob.
Today, out of the blue, while foobar seemed to work, nothing was showing. no playback list, no waveform, no lyrics, nothing. if i pressed play, everything was playing, but it was invisible. was running darkone theme v4.
i googled a bit, i saw a new version called darkone4mod, and installed it. playlist appeared as everything else. new skin was fine but not as great as the default darkone skin in my opinion. so again i tried to reinstall darkone theme on top. no change. i am stuck with darkone4mod theme.
I finally got a lead on this when I tried to install the Foobar light version, which wants to install to the user folder. No dice, even when running as an admin. It would install to Program Files, however. Odd.
I resynced my permissions on user directory, as well as ran sfc and dism scans. Zero issues. Started to Google around, and I found it; In Windows Security Center under Device Performance and Health is "Ransomware protection" Turned on, it is silent and doesn't generate notification when it takes action. Turned it off, Foobar worked fine. Turned it back on, added Foobar as an exception, worked fine.
That was a wasted day of troubleshooting, but I hope this might help someone else (I imagine this issue can affect many apps other than Foobar as well.)