Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Digital Audio+ 1.1.34.2 released (Read 82507 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Digital Audio+ 1.1.34.2 released

Reply #51
I was making a bitrate table with the new encoder and when I listened to some files I noticed bad artefacts at ~130 kbps: ringing, more or less strong according to the samples and sometimes not noticeable at all. I've compared it with an older release to Nero AAC (1.0.7.0) at similar bitrate and there's absolutely no problem (in worse cases it's simply subtle).
An exemple is available and include a lossless sample with two different encodings:
http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=ICHI80GW

short descriptions of all problems:

02.00 -> 12.00: male chorus suffers from ringing with some metallic effects (the beginning of “shall” at ~04.00)
12.00 -> 15.00: Trumpets are distorted
15.00 -> 18.00: "acidity" on violins, ringing too - and still issues with trumpets
18.00 -> end: mix of all problems and as conclusion (21.00 - 23.00) noisy horns (short-impulses)

Thanks for the report.
Can you say which -q settings you used for both versions? That makes it easier for us to check

Reply #52
Anyone interested in a patch for the SSE version to get rid of that stupid Intel CPU check? I can post one, that is, if it isn't against the rules.

Reply #53
@menno: both ND versions were used with -0.45.
I've noticed something strange with my bitrate table. Average bitrate isn't linear and there's a break between 0.44 and 0.45 setting.

In summary:
Code: [Select]
setting: 0.40   0.41   0.42   0.43   0.44   0.45   0.46   0.47   0.48
---------------------------------------------------------------------
bitrate: 114    119    123    127    132    131    135    139    142

The bitrate table was built with my usual gallery of 150 full classical music tracks. The values in this table are the average bitrate for each setting. The detailed table (see link below) is showing that 0.44 is from time to time bigger than 0.45 and 0.43. There's nothing worrying by itself. But when I compared 0.44 and 0.45 encodings with the problem sample I've submitted, I was astonished by the quality difference! 0.44 is much better than 0.45 and has clearly less ringing. There must be a bug somewhere...
The ringing is not only audible but is also visible on any frequency graph (pointless without ABX of course) and 0.45 (and 0.46) looks considerably more agressive than 0.44.

In any cases the old nero digital version (1.0.7.0) at 0.45 outperforms the new one even with the most favorable (0.44 instead of 0.45) mode.

link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=15LZ8LV9

Reply #54
Guruboolez,
Yes we found something with the sample you send. Probably not many people would hear this problem, but we will solve it.
About the bitrates: The switch from 1 parameter table to the next can cause a glitch in the bitrate. However, with the old version you probably would have noticed that the steps in bitrate between the tables were much bigger. So I guess it can happen that bitrate even decreases, because we brought these switches much closer together. I guess it depends again on exactly what file you are encoding, as your table also proves

Reply #55
Hello,
1) windows: Has anyone tryed to use this with audacity as external encoder?
When using this commandline:
neroAacEnc.exe -q 0.12 -ignorelength -if - -of "%f".mp4

where "%f" is tag for the filename it says:
ERROR: could not parse WAV file

I don't know which software to blame, because audacity normally works with lame as a commandline encoder. Here is example commandline:
lame.exe -S --noreplaygain -V 2 --vbr-new - "%f".mp3

with lame, nothing is sent to stdout and file is encoded perfectly.

2) under linux: is it somehow possible to use this encoder to prepare a stream for live streaming to shoutcast/icecast server?

Reply #56
Would really appreciate a OS X release too, thanks.

In the mean time I'm having some trouble encoding with CDex 1.70b, I choose the Psytel AAC encoder in the settings and look up the NeroAAC exe.

But I end up with unplayable 108kb large files whatever encoding I choose, anyone one what the problem is?

Reply #57
Hello,
1) windows: Has anyone tryed to use this with audacity as external encoder?
When using this commandline:

I don't know which software to blame, because audacity normally works with lame as a commandline encoder.

I have the exact same problem on Linux with Audacity. I'm not familiar enough with encoding from STDIN to know for sure but I expect Audacity sends RAW PCM data while lame is fine with that, neroAacEnc requires WAV headers.

Reply #58
Thank you for this update. Unlike previous release, it works under Win98. Great!

Reply #59
For anyone as late to the party as I am, the linked download page seems to have disappeared. I've always had trouble navigating through Nero's site trying to locate their Digital Audio+ info, and this still remains the case. However I did find a working FileForum BetaNews location (for the moment at least):

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Nero_...io/1150910171/1

Reply #60
Hmm, indeed. Seems to have disappeared with the website update. I will complain on monday

Reply #61
Seems like it's still missing from the website.
Any direct link that we can access to get the codec, menno?

I'm beginning to think Nero's upper brackets don't like the idea of giving away their greatest audio encoder practically for free, but that's just me being skeptical. =)

Reply #62
Anyone interested in a patch for the SSE version to get rid of that stupid Intel CPU check? I can post one, that is, if it isn't against the rules.

They posted both SSE2 and SSE versions in the last update. I was looking forward to trying the SSE version on my Pentium III, but it failed the CPU check! The SSE2 version, which I didn't expect to work, got as far as showing the masthead, then executed an illegal instruction and crashed.

I wrote to Nero support and asked them to pass my results and cpuID output along to the developers, which they said they'd do. But then a week later the download is gone. I hope it wasn't my fault...

Anyway, offline, I'd be interested in testing your patch if it's against the regular SSE (not SSE2) version from the most recent release.

Reply #63
We are working on putting the download back, it seems not so easy since the website update and it has to be translated in multiple languages, but it will be back don't worry.

Regarding any SSE and SSE2 versions, these will completely disappear in the next updates. All optimizations have been completely merged in our internal builds and making a special compile didn't give any speed gain anymore.

Reply #64

I don't know which software to blame, because audacity normally works with lame as a commandline encoder.

I have the exact same problem on Linux with Audacity. I'm not familiar enough with encoding from STDIN to know for sure but I expect Audacity sends RAW PCM data while lame is fine with that, neroAacEnc requires WAV headers.

I've the same problem too, but these wav files were decoded from wv under WinXP x64 and wvunpack. Most tools do work with these wav files but every files decoded by wvunpack can't be encoded using NeroAAC. Any ideas or solutions on this?

thank you!

Reply #65
FYI here is a list of fixes in the current Nero 8 release (8.3.2.1)

Ndaudio version 1.1.34.13

* Greatly improved 5.1 encoding quality
* CBR now produces actual requested bitrate
* Improved 2nd pass encoding bitrate control
* Fixed MP4 file issue with 2nd generation iPod Shuffle

This encoder is used in:

* Nero Burning ROM (Encode Files, Save Tracks)
* Nero WaveEditor (save)
* Nero SoundTrax (save)
* Nero Recode (only with movie)
* Nero StartSmart (Audio Ripping)
* Nero MediaHome (if your receiving device supports AAC)

Reply #66
Any idea when the improvements will make it into the CLI?  Or is there already an updated version floating around somewhere?
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

Reply #67
We will probably do an update sometime next month.

Reply #68
Only now I found that Nero encoder is multithreaded. Transcoded 2 hs length single files.
Great.