Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: £200 speakers, reccomendations please! (Read 3421 times) previous topic - next topic

£200 speakers, reccomendations please!

Hi Hydrogenaudio,

So far you guys have got me using EAC, FLAC and have slowly put together a lossless audio collection. It sounds fantastic through my SqueezeBox but now I think I shall take it to the next level. I need to get some speakers, I currently have a set of Creative Inspire Digital 5500D surround speakers but compared to some modern Logitechs they are starting to sound a bit flat.

After visiting a local Apple store and hearing some amazing Bose Companion 3 (stereo) speakers I was sold on the idea. I am currently thinking about buying those (£199) but I was wondering if anybody had any alternative reccomendations for systems. Completely open to new ideas for this one so anything goes (although I would prefer 2.1), I will be using a SqueezeBox as the audio source.

Thanks in advance people 

P.S. Extreme n00b here, first post!

Reply #1
Hi Hydrogenaudio,

So far you guys have got me using EAC, FLAC and have slowly put together a lossless audio collection. It sounds fantastic through my SqueezeBox but now I think I shall take it to the next level. I need to get some speakers, I currently have a set of Creative Inspire Digital 5500D surround speakers but compared to some modern Logitechs they are starting to sound a bit flat.

After visiting a local Apple store and hearing some amazing Bose Companion 3 (stereo) speakers I was sold on the idea. I am currently thinking about buying those (£199) but I was wondering if anybody had any alternative reccomendations for systems. Completely open to new ideas for this one so anything goes (although I would prefer 2.1), I will be using a SqueezeBox as the audio source.

Thanks in advance people 

P.S. Extreme n00b here, first post!

For £200 you are likely to get significantly better sound quality from a 2.0 system than a 2.1 system for most types of music. Some modern dance music might be an exception, so might watching films or you may strongly prefer the package of small satellite speakers on your desk and a subwoofer.

There are a range of 2.0 active speakers at your price:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_bx5a_deluxe.htm

that will out perform the Bose system in terms of sound quality but not necessarily on other terms. This is not intended as a recommendation for the brand but the kind of speaker you may wish to consider.

Reply #2
For £200 you are likely to get significantly better sound quality from a 2.0 system than a 2.1 system for most types of music. Some modern dance music might be an exception, so might watching films or you may strongly prefer the package of small satellite speakers on your desk and a subwoofer.

There are a range of 2.0 active speakers at your price:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_bx5a_deluxe.htm

that will out perform the Bose system in terms of sound quality but not necessarily on other terms. This is not intended as a recommendation for the brand but the kind of speaker you may wish to consider.

I am mostly going to be using them for music, I used to have the old creative hooked up to Xbox, Wii, PS2, Toaster, Kitchen sink but I found that I just didn't use it for that.

As I saw your reply I had just found the same speaker style, had not considered studio monitors before but it really makes sense. Any other brands apart from M-Audio that you would reccomend? Those speakers look good but I want to do some research. 

Reply #3
As I saw your reply I had just found the same speaker style, had not considered studio monitors before but it really makes sense. Any other brands apart from M-Audio that you would reccomend? Those speakers look good but I want to do some research. 

I was not recommending the brand but more the type of speaker which, around this price, are possibly all made in the same set of Chinese factories. Other questions to consider are the volume controls, including D/A to allow spdif/usb/... digital input, headphone socket, ipod connection, proper active crossover, plus a few others I have no doubt missed.