Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack question (Read 7578 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack question

Hi. Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find any info about it.

Is there a way to join two wavpack hybrid files without recompressing?

Thanks in advance.

WavPack question

Reply #1
Just yes or no, please.

WavPack question

Reply #2
It's not possible I would say. Maybe the DOS command line for merging two files (can't remember the command's name) would work in some conditions (same encoding profile), but I suggest you to reencod them (merging two or more existing files without extracting them from CD again is easy with foobar2000; it just take some time).

WavPack question

Reply #3
shntools

wavpack may not be supported under *nix (last version came out before a unix port existed) but should work on windows.

i can look into linux support - i think the author left it as an unused feature in an autotools check.

later

WavPack question

Reply #4
It's not possible I would say. Maybe the DOS command line for merging two files (can't remember the command's name) would work in some conditions (same encoding profile), but I suggest you to reencod them (merging two or more existing files without extracting them from CD again is easy with foobar2000; it just take some time).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273550"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I think if I trim the header from 2nd file, delete all tags from both and join the data afterwards it *might* work (same profile was used), but who knows. I'll try it.

shntools

wavpack may not be supported under *nix (last version came out before a unix port existed) but should work on windows.

i can look into linux support - i think the author left it as an unused feature in an autotools check.

later
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273556"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll dig into it. Don't worry about the *nix support, I'm on Windows.

Thanks both very much. Cheers.

WavPack question

Reply #5
I suspect the format is so damn robust, it would work with DOS binary merge without any header trimming or anything.

Please try to do so and report if it works

WavPack question

Reply #6
I tried DOS binary copy and *nix CAT from cygwin and it doesn't work.  I think I'll dig into the format, learn how much bytes I need to remove from both files and try merging again.

Cheers.

WavPack question

Reply #7
Sorry I have not been active lately on the boards, but I have now moved into a new house and will be getting Internet this week so I will be able to catch up. Many thanks to those who have filled in the gaps these few months!

I assume by this question you mean concatenating two WavPack files serially (one after the other) rather than merging a WavPack lossy file with its correction file, right? The answer is that you can simply merge the two with a binary concatenation, but then the headers on each block must be updated to reflect the new length (and indexes for the second file). Fortunately, this can be done very quickly because it can happen "in-place". Unfortunately, there is no program to do it. 

If I get a chance I might throw something like this together, but I'm still really short of time right now. However, it should be REALLY easy to do. As a starting point, I created a sample program some time ago to simply parse a WavPack file. This could be easily enhanced to update the headers, I think...

http://wavpack.com/wvparser.c

Thanks, and I hope to be posting more often soon (maybe even get out a release).

WavPack question

Reply #8
Joining of Wavpack files should work already when they are in MKV container, using the --merge command of mkvmerge in PRE version. Just a pitty we cant play it yet  ....

WavPack question

Reply #9
Sorry I have not been active lately on the boards, but I have now moved into a new house and will be getting Internet this week so I will be able to catch up. Many thanks to those who have filled in the gaps these few months!

I assume by this question you mean concatenating two WavPack files serially (one after the other) rather than merging a WavPack lossy file with its correction file, right? The answer is that you can simply merge the two with a binary concatenation, but then the headers on each block must be updated to reflect the new length (and indexes for the second file). Fortunately, this can be done very quickly because it can happen "in-place". Unfortunately, there is no program to do it. 

If I get a chance I might throw something like this together, but I'm still really short of time right now. However, it should be REALLY easy to do. As a starting point, I created a sample program some time ago to simply parse a WavPack file. This could be easily enhanced to update the headers, I think...

http://wavpack.com/wvparser.c

Thanks, and I hope to be posting more often soon (maybe even get out a release).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273606"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I mean concatenating 2 hybrid files. But please, don't worry about this too much, I don't think I can modify that code right now (I lack knowledge and skills) and it doesn't seem to be a very demanded feature, so I'll live without it. Thanks anyway for your response and this great format and best luck with your new home!

Joining of Wavpack files should work already when they are in MKV container, using the --merge command of mkvmerge in PRE version. Just a pitty we cant play it yet  ....
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273935"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting... Will the merged files extract as one afterwards? Doesn't foobar read .mka files? Is .mkv any different from .mka?

Cheers.

WavPack question

Reply #10

Interesting... Will the merged files extract as one afterwards? Doesn't foobar read .mka files? Is .mkv any different from .mka?

mka is the audio only extension of mkv, technically they are exactly the same. I dont believe Wavpack extraction will work already in mkvextract, i will check with robux4. If it works, you could theoretically use --merge to concatenate them, and extract a single Wavpack file from this mka.

WavPack question

Reply #11
Thanks, that'd be nice. Where can I find last PRE version, btw? In www.bunkus.org I can only see 1.0.2. If it isn't available I'll just wait for wavpack support to be implemented.

Cheers.

WavPack question

Reply #12
Thanks, that'd be nice. Where can I find last PRE version, btw?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/pre/HEAD/]http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/pre/HEAD/[/url]

WavPack question

Reply #13
Thanks kurtnoise.

Latest mkvmerge (mkvtoolnix-head-20050212-1.rar) doesn't seem to recognize the --merge option. But no problem, I'll just wait for the stable release.

Cheers.

WavPack question

Reply #14
i just uploaded a modified shntools debian binary to <guess where>

it now supports wavpack and some other random formats (bonk, kexis, la, lpac, mkw)

i actually need some test files to figure out if mkw actually works (if so, it would be the only way to use this format on *nix that i know of.

please, some enlightened soul upload me a few short tracks of this format to test with!

later

WavPack question

Reply #15
i actually need some test files to figure out if mkw actually works (if so, it would be the only way to use this format on *nix that i know of.
please, some enlightened soul upload me a few short tracks of this format to test with!

.mkw ? are you talking .mkv ? There are various players for Linux with support for matroska, namely

Xine
Gstreamer
mplayer

Gstreamer is your first option for playing Wavpack in MKV/MKA, our long time supporter alley_cat wrote a Wavpack plugin for Gstreamer some time ago ...

For the sample file, come to #matroska on irc.corecodec.org and i will make one for you.

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org

WavPack question

Reply #16
no, mkw - it is a scarce and horrible lossless format.

ALSO, it appears that the wavpack support is only for 3.xx format, anything created with the linux port (4.xx) doesn't decode.... bummer

later

WavPack question

Reply #17
Joining of Wavpack files should work already when they are in MKV container...

Just to report I succesfully merged the 2 wavpack hybrid files with mkvtoolnix-1.4.1 and then extracted the result with mkvextract. The resulting WV file plays perfectly.

Two thumbs up!

Regards.

WavPack question

Reply #18
Joining of Wavpack files should work already when they are in MKV container...

Just to report I succesfully merged the 2 wavpack hybrid files with mkvtoolnix-1.4.1 and then extracted the result with mkvextract. The resulting WV file plays perfectly.
Two thumbs up!
Regards.

Great !! Mosu roxxx  !

And here, right at the time, a first alpha DirectShow decoder filter for wavpack, when being used in matroska container, based on David's latest lib :

http://www.matroska.org/~toff/WavPackDSDecoder20050321-2.zip

Wavpack splitter to come soon, so you can play Wavpack files in WindowsMediaplayer

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org