Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 cannot see ALSA audio driver? (Read 3029 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 cannot see ALSA audio driver?

Hi everyone ,

I'm using foobar2000 1.2.2 on Fedora 18 via Wine 1.5. By default, Wine using the PulseAudio (winepulse.drv) and foobar works properly. But when I change from PulseAudio to ALSA, foobar doesn't make sounds anymore. In foobar Preferences > Playback > Output > Device, there's nothing except for "Null Output".
As I understand, when Wine uses ALSA, foobar doesn't detect the audio card.

I don't know whether this issue is caused by Wine or foobar. When I set Wine to use ALSA, in Wine configuration dialog, tab Audio, I can still here the sound with "Test Sound" button, so that means Wine recognized ALSA.

Anyone have any ideas ? Do I have to downgrade Wine to a lower version? Thank you for any of your ideas

Oh, by the way, the DSP Manager function of foobar seems to not work with Wine 1.5 (all buttons are grey out), also in the equalizer panel, the export or import EQ profile disappear.

Reply #1
Is your ALSA configured to output through PulseAudio? It may still be configured to output through PulseAudio.

The rest of your DSP configuration problems are probably a wine regression. It would be helpful if you could post about some of these problems on winehq.org and get someone from the wine developers to do their own testing.

Reply #2
Is your ALSA configured to output through PulseAudio? It may still be configured to output through PulseAudio.

The rest of your DSP configuration problems are probably a wine regression. It would be helpful if you could post about some of these problems on winehq.org and get someone from the wine developers to do their own testing.

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll try to examine the ALSA configuration .

Reply #3
Also, did you install foobar2000 in your default prefix, or did you create a separate prefix for it? It may be a good idea to test the winecfg from the correct prefix. Not that I know whether that makes a difference. I have my foobar2000 in a prefix, and it plays nice with ALSA. Of course, I never had the Pulse driver installed for it, so when I had Pulse for a while, I was using ALSA, which fed through Pulse using the default device configuration scripts that came with the Arch PulseAudio ALSA plugins package, I think.