Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Do you think threads are split:

much too eagerly
[ 9 ] (9.8%)
too eagerly
[ 5 ] (5.4%)
generally well
[ 69 ] (75%)
not enough
[ 7 ] (7.6%)
not nearly enough
[ 2 ] (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Topic: Do you think threads are split: (Read 8202 times) previous topic - next topic

Thread splitting has been in use for a short time after updating the forum software. Threads can be split if a message-chain starts to be too far from the thread topic. What do you think about the current thread splitting?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
I think a way for normal users to split threads when they reply would be a good idea. E.g. add a button [Add reply to Off-Topic forum] next to the normal reply button. I think people have a good idea on what is on topic and what is not. Self sanitation of threads in this way would lead to less work for the moderators and possibly more interesting posts in the Off-topic forum.

Reply #2
why not just delete the unnecesary posts? split/delete (like this one)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #3
Splitted?

Sounds wrong.

Should it be just be Split?  Or maybe Splut, or Splittened, or Splat

--
But seriously, compared to every other board in existence, this one has got the splitted-ness absolutely spot on 

Reply #4
why not just delete the unnecesary posts? split/delete (like this one)

I'm totally against post deletion, IMO it's a kind of censorship.

Reply #5
I'm totally against post deletion, IMO it's a kind of censorship.

imho this board has nothing to do with personal belives, its strictly techical, so nothing really to censor but to delete the unnecesary spam. (i agree it sounds kinda rough, just a thought )

edit: there could be for example a section called 'recycle bin', so split/leave it there for a week or 2/delete.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #6
I am all for thread splitting. But please mark those threads as such - i.e. (OT split) added to subject or "OT Split from post named BLAH...." in the second description line. That might reduce confusion.

Reply #7
The level of thread splitting is ok, but not all discussions that are off-topic in their original thread are forum-off-topic.

E.g.: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=17&t=4173 shouldn't be OT on a audio-forum.

I'm more concerned about the increased numbers of closed threads.

Reply #8
All the "powers that be" know my position on this one (via recent OT thread).

I'm just registering my vote.

Xenno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #9
Would I have split the thread and removed mine and Xenno's posts? No.  My post had an attempt at humor in it but it was pretty well on-topic, even if I took a little too seriously what Xenno had posted as a joke.  I enjoy trying to combine humor into my posts but I respect the idea of staying on-topic in the on-topic threads.

Posting here is a privilege of membership.  I had commented in the moderating avatars thread that I have the expectation that anything any member puts up is subject to moderation.  If someone does something that truly bothers me with one of my posts, I'll make it known or I'll take my opinions and go elsewhere.
Yeah, when you call my name
I salivate like a Pavlov dog...

Reply #10
no problems with it
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]