Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 645776 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #550
Hi.
>Do you mean that this fresh foobar install fails to launch?
Yes.
>I don't know what changed with wine 6.6 to cause it, try asking on winehq forums.
Yes, I will do that
Probably Ubuntu-based Linux Distributions.

Many Many Thanks.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #551
As for your custom foobar config, one of the 3rd party components might require vcrun2015 so you can try to (re)install it with winetricks.
Code: [Select]
wine: Call from 7B0100F6 to unimplemented function api-ms-win-core-winrt-error-l1-1-0.dll.RoOriginateError, aborting
That's the reason anyway your foobar is crashing on launch. I don't know what changed with wine 6.6 to cause it, try asking on winehq forums.

My previously working install of foobar2000 v1.6.4 started to crash when launched after upgrading from wine-staging 6.5 to 6.6.
Following this advice of installing previously uninstalled vcrun2015 with winetricks fixed the issue.
I did not dive deep enough into the problem to identify which component caused the issue, but something chanced between 6.5 and 6.6 that now require vcrun2015 for foobar2000 with my setup.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #552
It sounds as if the MSVC runtime replacement that's a part of Wine has broken with 6.6. It may be worth reporting the issue to the Wine developers, if only so they can fix this regression.

Reply #553
Wine Announcement
The Wine development release 6.7 is now available.
https://www.winehq.org/announce/6.7

Bug 25265 - Foobar2000 does not automatically update media library (folder watch does not work)
Bug 40567 - Foobar2000 1.x doesn't run or takes too long to open
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #554
Trying to update my 1.6.4 installation with foobar2000_v1.6.5.exe on wine-staging 6.7 now produces a "run as"  dialogue box that demand I log in with administrative rights to continue. I can't seem to get past that one....
I suspect it has to do with this:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40613
and the changes thus recently done:
https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging/tree/master/patches/server-default_integrity
...But I might be wrong....
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #555
Hello,

does anyone know how to fix the ActiveX htmlfile error?:

ActiveXObject_Constructor failed:
Failed to create ActiveXObject object via CLSID: htmlfile
const doc = new ActiveXObject('htmlfile');

Is there a fix or workaround?
I am using the latest Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 with foobar 1.6.5...

Thank you

- TT

Reply #556
Does anyone know how to fix the ActiveX htmlfile error?:
ActiveXObject_Constructor failed:
I doubt it can be fixed.

In my experience only basic scripts work and they are more likely to work with an old version of foo_jscript_panel, e.i. 2.3.7 rather than SMP.

Reply #557
You need to install the Gecko support in Wine to have basic HTML controls, and even then, it's not guaranteed to be compatible with Windows.

Reply #559
Does anyone know if utils.CheckFont and gdi.Font are working correctly under Wine?

I've put custom ttf fonts in /usr/share/wine/fonts and ~/.wine/drive_c/Windows/fonts
and it seems are not initialized with utils.CheckFont and loaded via gdi.Font in SMP...

If I change for example the font in Preferences -> Columns UI -> Colors and fonts, the font to the custom font changes and is displayed correctly!

Reply #560
Also tried from etc/fonts/fonts.conf

~/.fonts
/usr/share/fonts
/usr/local/share/fonts

without any luck...

Reply #561
Also tried from etc/fonts/fonts.conf

~/.fonts
/usr/share/fonts
/usr/local/share/fonts

without any luck...

I have them in /home/user/.local/share/fonts and they show up in the scripts.

Maybe you must try to clean up the wine instalation and start a fresh profile.

Uninstall wine and remove the wine folders in your home. Don't forget the ones in /home/user/.cache

Install it gain, put your fonts in :local/fonts and make a new profile with env WINEPREFIX=home/user/.yournewprofile winecfg

The new profile must have winegecko and load the necessary fonts.

Now with env WINEPREFIX=home/user/.yournewprofile winetricks install GDI plus and the special caracters must be shown in script panels.

As a foot notes I always have better results using the default user interface.

Reply #562
gdi.Font working fine for me in SMP. I install all fonts in /usr/share/fonts and then link with wine using:

$ cd ${WINEPREFIX:-~/.local/wine/foobar2000}/drive_c/windows/Fonts && for i in /usr/share/fonts/**/*.{ttf,otf}; do ln -s "$i" ; done

Reply #563
Hello,

I still have problems with Opentype (.otf) fonts being not initialized with utils.CheckFont and loaded via gdi.Font in AFTER installing GDI+.
But Truetype (.ttf) fonts are displayed correctly... I don't know if it's a SMP or Wine issue, can anyone confirm?

Last month I wrote two emails to Wine-Devs and still haven't received an answer... I guess they have other problems ;)
Here is an excerpt from the mail:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any ideas?

-TT

Reply #564
The only downloadable form of GDI+ is for Windows XP, and Windows XP never supported OTF.

Reply #566
Thanks for this, Yotsuya.
I have installed wine on my Ubuntu 20.04 LTS system and downloaded the Foobar executable "foobar2000_v1.6.7" and executed the command “wine foobar2000_1.6.7.exe” to install it using wine, but the command is not recognised.
I'm now stuck.
Where have I gone wrong?
My goal is to install global hotkeys as explained further down in your post.

Cheers

John

Reply #567
Does your terminal error say file not found? Execute the command in the directory where foobar2000_1.6.7.exe is located.

The original post in this thread was last updated in 2009 and is outdated. Since you are on Ubuntu, easiest way to install foobar2000 is probably from snap.

Reply #568
OK Mikko, thanks for tha advice. I have now re-installed it using snap and will try setting the global hotkeys. Are the instructions for that still valid?

Reply #569
Can't say as I never used global hotkeys. Chances are your media keys work out of the box. If not, try the instructions in Yotsuya's post.

Reply #570
Global hotkeys don't work under Wine. They do bind, but don't respond globally. This is Wine's fault for not implementing this in a way that would work easily with all common desktop environments. It may be harder to implement this for Wayland desktops, for instance.

Also, Media Key binding doesn't really work at all, either.

Reply #571
Thanks Kode54, that's really helpful.
Of course I'm disappointed the hotkeys don't work under wine/ubuntu but at least I can stop banging my head against the wall trying.
All the best
John

Reply #572
@John Pym You can workaround this limitation with a custom keyboard shortcut. For example in gnome. Going to settings-keyboard shortcuts. Scroll down and press +. Add a name "foobar2000 play/pause" in command add
Code: [Select]
env WINEPREFIX="path to your wine prefix" wine path to foobar2000.exe /playpause
in shortcut choose a key combination (ctrl+alt+p) for example.
You can also use the original media keys but you must disable default shortcuts and you will lose the gnome integration (mpris, etc)
With foobar2000 running this shortcuts works even if it is not selected. Problem is that if is not running the shortcut start the player instead of fails.
Same for the rest of foobar commands (/stop /exit etc)
Is not perfect but usable

Reply #573
Wine 7.0 Released
https://www.winehq.org/

/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/foobar2000/foobar2000.exe
/.wine/drive_c/users/USERNAME/Application Data/foobar2000

Reply #574
I *think* you'll need at least wine 4.0 to run foobar2000, but I can't be sure.

On Mint v20.3-Xfce, at least with PlayOnLinux (sudo apt install playonlinux)... it (foobar2000_v1.6.10.exe) seems to work on older versions (I think I tried Wine v3.0.5). but when I loaded it up initially, since I got a two screen setup (monitor and TV, both 1080p), the Foobar2000 program seemed to stretch across both screens and I had to shrink it down etc. but I did not really try anything beyond this very basic test (and I did not install Mono/Gecko if that matters).

so while it seems to work on Wine prior to v4, I would probably advise sticking with Wine v4 or newer as a general guideline if possible.

but on my Mint v20.3-Xfce install in regards to Foobar2000 (currently 'foobar2000_v1.6.10.exe')... it seems Wine v6 series, at least '6.13-staging' (64bit) through PlayOnLinux, works a little better than older and newer versions in the sense of when you got some music in there and you hover the mouse pointer over it, and it has that little popup, on my current use of Foobar2000 with '6.13-staging' through PlayOnLinux, if you try to right click etc when mouse is over the top of that little popup, it works as expected and registers the click. but in many others I tried, like say newest stable Wine v7 (through more of a typical system installation), it won't register the click.

it's not a huge deal though as I can deal with that issue should I have to (as I just do what I got to do before the little popup occurs when hovering mouse over a track etc), but it's nice to have it functioning properly since I don't have to worry about working-around that small issue.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.