Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Unhandled exception at ASPI32.4152 -> ASSIGN-RANGE (Read 28291 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Unhandled exception at ASPI32.4152 -> ASSIGN-RANGE

Any idea what might be causing WAC to drop the error "Unhandled exception at ASPI32.4152 -> ASSIGN-RANGE" and then crash the program?

Re: EAC Unhandled exception at ASPI32.4152 -> ASSIGN-RANGE

Reply #2
It's not copy protection.

Reply #4
There are no problems with TOC, EAC extracts up to 56th track, as can be seen on the screenshot, then it crashes, I don't get a log, because it crashes before creating one.

Reply #5
Anything that could be done?

Reply #6
1 - Don't use ASPI, try native mode.
2 - Try another drive
3 - Try another software
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #7
It is native.
Drive is irrelevant.
EAC is the only true software.
It's about how to force EAC to read past 90 minute index, neither mode, nor drive, is a problem.

Also, CueTools returns "Invalid stride" error.
While CueRipper does the same.
What might be done to avert it?
What other softwares could be tested?

I think I found what the problem of ripping with CueTools is:
"https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,118913.msg980695.html#msg980695"
It worked fine with 2h rips of DVDs, but can't handle ~150 min soundtrack...

Reply #8
It is native.
Drive is irrelevant.
EAC is the only true software.
It's about how to force EAC to read past 90 minute index, neither mode, nor drive, is a problem.

Also, CueTools returns "Invalid stride" error.
While CueRipper does the same.
What might be done to avert it?
What other softwares could be tested?

I think I found what the problem of ripping with CueTools is:
"https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,118913.msg980695.html#msg980695"
hi
may I ask you if you have you tried dbpowramp cd ripper and EZ CD Audio Converter (in the past i had some issues with some cd and it was able to do it) ?
thanks

Reply #9

You are not making any sense to me.
Not all the drives can read that much into overburn area - especially for audio CDs. You have to find a drive that is able to read more than 90 minutes. If two programs give you error at that sort of same point, it's not software, but hardware. Try another drive.

Also, what do you mean, "150 minute soundtrack"? CueTools are designed to work with CD specification, but they're not general audio converter tool. If you want to convert audio that was not released on CDs, like some web releases of albums or web released compilations, you have to use some more generic audio converters. Foobar2000 can do conversion, also something like fre:ac, or TAudioConverter.

Reply #10

Not all the drives can read that much into overburn area - especially for audio CDs. You have to find a drive that is able to read more than 90 minutes. If two programs give you error at that sort of same point, it's not software, but hardware. Try another drive.

Also, what do you mean, "150 minute soundtrack"? CueTools are designed to work with CD specification, but they're not general audio converter tool. If you want to convert audio that was not released on CDs, like some web releases of albums or web released compilations, you have to use some more generic audio converters. Foobar2000 can do conversion, also something like fre:ac, or TAudioConverter.

You're not getting the point.
It's not the drive issue, because no actual drive is involved.
What I mean by 150 min soundtrack is a soundtrack that is 150 minute long in the image+cue format and I need a software that can rip it from virtual image just like EAC rips physical and virtual CDs to tracks with conversion and prefferably a log, not some generic file converter.
CueTools works with albums longer than 90 minutes, but I think shorter than 140, this is how I was able to rip some albums with indices exceeding 90 min mark.

Reply #11

What I mean by 150 min soundtrack is a soundtrack that is 150 minute long in the image+cue format and I need a software that can rip it from virtual image just like EAC rips physical and virtual CDs to tracks with conversion and prefferably a log, not some generic file converter.
CueTools works with albums longer than 90 minutes, but I think shorter than 140, this is how I was able to rip some albums with indices exceeding 90 min mark.

File conversion is the only solution here.  Using CD rippers for this task will just cause you headaches as there is no such thing as a 150 minute audio CD.

Reply #12
150 minute long in the image+cue format and I need a software that can rip it from virtual image just like EAC rips physical and virtual CDs to tracks with conversion and prefferably a log
Why do you need this?

Reply #13
This particular release you can download from the artist for free, but that does not solve the general problem.

So this is an .img file? Created by some CD imaging software that permits this length? If so, which software?
And have you tried to open the file in say, 7z?

Reply #14
You have a CUE and some unspecified image (probably raw PCM) file, which is one of many formats you can directly rip from a CD.

Then you want to turn it into a (virtual) CD, just to rip it again?

What do you gain by doing things this way instead of using an appropriate conversion tool?

Reply #15

Wait, wait.

Firstly, that image + cue file was not made with any CD mastering tool because it's not by standard. You can make your own cue file for for example DJ mixes that are 2 hrs long, to have split points, and you can play them back in software that supports them. For fun, I've just made such file from my own compilation, it's 2hrs 35 minutes long with 24 tracks. It has wav and cue file. Cuetools won't convert it, with the same error as you are getting. And I really didn't expected it to do it.

Now, since these are files on disk, from unknown source (they could as well be made from mp3s or they may be real lossless), the only sane thing is to load them up into file converter which supports cue files and re-encode them to format of your choice, splitting songs into tracks. If cuetools won't do it, you HAVE to use other tools.
If you're sure this is 2 CD compilation someone made into one giant file with cue, you have to split it first into files, then sort them into two folders, and encode them with Cuetools as two separate CDs. If it's just a single release by someone, then processing cue file into tracks is your only option, or leave them as they are. Log files don't make any sense in this case, as you are not ripping from physical device, and since they're not CD sourced, you can't get even accuraterip readings.

Reply #16
If you're sure this is 2 CD compilation someone made into one giant file
Not likely that this one has ever been released on CD. The artist himself only points to YouTube and Bandcamp versions, for example.

Virtual CD images of course don't need a secure ripper, although it is admittedly neat to be able to open the same application to extract from virtual images as from actual CDs. But don't scream at EAC when your "CD image" is so far from being a CD image ...

Reply #17
What I mean by 150 min soundtrack is a soundtrack that is 150 minute long in the image+cue format

You do not have to rip an image and cue file.
Foobar can read cue and image file directly, without using a virtual drive. If you open de cue file file in foobar, you can convert the tracks to wave or any other audio format that foobar supports.

Reply #18

File conversion is the only solution here.  Using CD rippers for this task will just cause you headaches as there is no such thing as a 150 minute audio CD.

Maybe, but something must be able to rip it correctly.

150 minute long in the image+cue format and I need a software that can rip it from virtual image just like EAC rips physical and virtual CDs to tracks with conversion and prefferably a log
Why do you need this?

Maybe it's ASD, maybe it's OCD, maybe it's irrelevant information in this enterprise.

This particular release you can download from the artist for free, but that does not solve the general problem.

So this is an .img file? Created by some CD imaging software that permits this length? If so, which software?
And have you tried to open the file in say, 7z?

This is where I got it from. But indeed, the source information does not solve the problem.
This is 16 bit 44,1 kHz image+cue file that I need to rip to tracks.

You have a CUE and some unspecified image (probably raw PCM) file, which is one of many formats you can directly rip from a CD.

Then you want to turn it into a (virtual) CD, just to rip it again?

What do you gain by doing things this way instead of using an appropriate conversion tool?

Peace of mind, sanity, you name it.

Wait, wait.

Firstly, that image + cue file was not made with any CD mastering tool because it's not by standard. You can make your own cue file for for example DJ mixes that are 2 hrs long, to have split points, and you can play them back in software that supports them. For fun, I've just made such file from my own compilation, it's 2hrs 35 minutes long with 24 tracks. It has wav and cue file. Cuetools won't convert it, with the same error as you are getting. And I really didn't expected it to do it.

Now, since these are files on disk, from unknown source (they could as well be made from mp3s or they may be real lossless), the only sane thing is to load them up into file converter which supports cue files and re-encode them to format of your choice, splitting songs into tracks. If cuetools won't do it, you HAVE to use other tools.
If you're sure this is 2 CD compilation someone made into one giant file with cue, you have to split it first into files, then sort them into two folders, and encode them with Cuetools as two separate CDs. If it's just a single release by someone, then processing cue file into tracks is your only option, or leave them as they are. Log files don't make any sense in this case, as you are not ripping from physical device, and since they're not CD sourced, you can't get even accuraterip readings.

Indeed, CueTools and EAC give up. I was able to utilize CueTools for 2h long image+cue files, but there must be a cap somewhere, I think I've read somewhere that it's 140 minutes.
This is not 2CD compilation, it's a bandcapm download that I need to process in the same workflow as a physical CD to end format of my choice.

If you're sure this is 2 CD compilation someone made into one giant file
Not likely that this one has ever been released on CD. The artist himself only points to YouTube and Bandcamp versions, for example.

Virtual CD images of course don't need a secure ripper, although it is admittedly neat to be able to open the same application to extract from virtual images as from actual CDs. But don't scream at EAC when your "CD image" is so far from being a CD image ...

Which is why I'm looking for other CD ripping tools, but then again, if CueTools can rip longer albums, it must be doable to implement no cap in the length limit.

What I mean by 150 min soundtrack is a soundtrack that is 150 minute long in the image+cue format

You do not have to rip an image and cue file.
Foobar can read cue and image file directly, without using a virtual drive. If you open de cue file file in foobar, you can convert the tracks to wave or any other audio format that foobar supports.

Yes, I do.

dBpoweramp is a paid software, so it's out of the equation, EZ CD Ripper does not have gap hangling options like EAC and CueTools, however I tested it and it ripped the image start to back, so it is proven that it is possible to implement support for image files longer than Red Book, which again is arbitrary and initially it was to be 60 minutes, then increased to 74, then to 79,8 minutes, which didn't stop labels from releasing albums with more than 80 minutes on it, the extreme example is "Bäst of Die Ärzte [Hot Action Records - 930 003-2] (2006) counting 88:41 on disc 1, 89:07 on disc 2". So the cap limites in both EAC and CueTools has been writen manually somewhere, which means it's possible to change it either via update, or modding.

Reply #19
This is an image file, right? What format? .img?

I think you have confused a few things. No, you don't need a "CD" ripper.
* All the fuss about (secure) CD ripping is about getting a bitstream from a silver disc and into a file. (A CDDA doesn't have files.)
So a CD ripper needs to communicate with a particular kind of hardware device, interpret the information, act upon it - a secure drive will re-read suspicious bits, etc.
* If you have an image file, you need nothing about the physical discs of the CD drives - everything is already on file. Every bit is unique. Re-reading from the image? No more use in that than re-opening the same unaltered .txt over and over again just to see if the content has changed.
Image with cue? You only need something that can handle the cuesheet and audio-on-file.
* Indeed, some CD rippers try to check if you have an image mounted as a "virtual" CD drive, in order to disable certain functionality that is bollocks when there is no physical disc.
* This image has obviously not come directly from an audio compact disc, because there is no such audio compact disc. It has been generated by some software. Again, you need a file reader and not a CD ripper.
* ... well indeed you don't: You have been pointed at where you can get the music for free, in lossless quality.

Reply #20
longer than Red Book, which again is arbitrary and initially it was to be 60 minutes, then increased to 74, then to 79,8 minutes
The Red Book limit is not completely arbitrary. The format is unable to address more than 100 minutes of audio, and the lead-out area consumes some of the available addresses.

Even when using a virtual disc that has no need for a lead-out area, there is still software that relies on the Red Book addressing scheme to access the disc. There is no valid way to represent an address beyond 100 minutes, so attempting to read beyond that point results in an error. (Software that doesn't rely on the Red Book address scheme can access more than 100 minutes of the virtual CD if the virtual CD drive doesn't enforce Red Book compliance.)

In any case, there is nothing to be gained by ripping the audio again; all you need is to split it at the appropriate points. Personally, I would use a lossless compressor like FLAC to convert the raw PCM to WAV, then try shntool and see if it can handle the CUE file. Or, if I'm feeling really paranoid, I might use a hex editor to manually split the raw PCM at the appropriate byte offsets according to the indices in the CUE file.

Reply #21
The Red Book limit is not completely arbitrary. The format is unable to address more than 100 minutes of audio, and the lead-out area consumes some of the available addresses.

99:59:74 (max address) - 01:30:00 (lead out for 1st session must be this long) = 98:29:74 (theoretical limit).  In practice it's probably much lower.

Reply #22
This is an image file, right? What format? .img?

I think you have confused a few things. No, you don't need a "CD" ripper.
* All the fuss about (secure) CD ripping is about getting a bitstream from a silver disc and into a file. (A CDDA doesn't have files.)
So a CD ripper needs to communicate with a particular kind of hardware device, interpret the information, act upon it - a secure drive will re-read suspicious bits, etc.
* If you have an image file, you need nothing about the physical discs of the CD drives - everything is already on file. Every bit is unique. Re-reading from the image? No more use in that than re-opening the same unaltered .txt over and over again just to see if the content has changed.
Image with cue? You only need something that can handle the cuesheet and audio-on-file.
* Indeed, some CD rippers try to check if you have an image mounted as a "virtual" CD drive, in order to disable certain functionality that is bollocks when there is no physical disc.
* This image has obviously not come directly from an audio compact disc, because there is no such audio compact disc. It has been generated by some software. Again, you need a file reader and not a CD ripper.
* ... well indeed you don't: You have been pointed at where you can get the music for free, in lossless quality.

I don't need a "CD" ripper, I need a ripper than can rip image+cue file (the format is WAV, by the way) into tracks.
I never said that the image came directly from anywhere. The lossless WAV from bandcamp was not 16/44,1, hence it was converted to 16/44,1 image+cue, I might as well try conberting it to tracks+cue and then rip, but I don't think it will do the trick.

longer than Red Book, which again is arbitrary and initially it was to be 60 minutes, then increased to 74, then to 79,8 minutes

Even when using a virtual disc that has no need for a lead-out area, there is still software that relies on the Red Book addressing scheme to access the disc. There is no valid way to represent an address beyond 100 minutes, so attempting to read beyond that point results in an error. (Software that doesn't rely on the Red Book address scheme can access more than 100 minutes of the virtual CD if the virtual CD drive doesn't enforce Red Book compliance.)

In any case, there is nothing to be gained by ripping the audio again; all you need is to split it at the appropriate points. Personally, I would use a lossless compressor like FLAC to convert the raw PCM to WAV, then try shntool and see if it can handle the CUE file. Or, if I'm feeling really paranoid, I might use a hex editor to manually split the raw PCM at the appropriate byte offsets according to the indices in the CUE file.

Indeed, this is why CueTools can read longer discs, but apparently they still have a cap. Personally I would rather use something that works like EAC for physical discs, rather than a converter.

99:59:74 (max address) - 01:30:00 (lead out for 1st session must be this long) = 98:29:74 (theoretical limit)

Yes, this is where the 99 min CD-Rs came in, VWestlife has a video about it.

Reply #23
Maybe, but something must be able to rip it correctly.
IT'S CALLED USE A "FILE CONVERTER", NOT A CD RIPPER FOR THIS TASK!

Reply #24
Personally I would rather use something that works like EAC for physical discs, rather than a converter.
There is no difference between EAC and an appropriate file converter for this task. You will get the same files either way, except that the converter supports more than 100 minutes of audio and EAC does not.