Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC/ID3v2/Tag&Rename (Read 3533 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC/ID3v2/Tag&Rename

I've been using Tag&Rename to edit the ID3v1 tags in my MPC files.  Of course, it's annoying that you can't use long song titles, etc., with ID3v1.  I've played around a little and added ID3v2 tags to some MPCs, just to see what would happen, and have had no problems other than the Winamp plug-in won't display them.

Since I've been reading a lot of info about APE tags and MPC, I went to the Tag&Rename website to see if they had any info about possibly supporting APE tags in upcoming versions.  I noticed that one of the new features in the new 2.1 beta 2 version is support for ID3v2 tags in MPEGPlus (mp+, mpc) files.

I would really love to use tags that use long fields and I would love to use Tag&Rename (since I paid for it).  Is there really any risk if all I am adding is longer titles, etc.  I wouldn't be adding cover art and all the other junk that you can with ID3v2.

Also, I sent a short email to the Tag&Rename developers asking if they had plans to support APE tags in the future.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

MPC/ID3v2/Tag&Rename

Reply #1
This is about the 100th time I've posted about this nifty utility

What's wrong with using the MPCEncT utility to add APE tags right on encoding? That way, you can at least have APE tags for your "freshly ripped/encoded" files. (There's a nice readme included, describing how to use it within EAC/CDex.)

AFAIK, there's no tool to convert ID3v1 to APE as of yet.

BTW, those developers should be kicked in the ass for adding ID3v2 support for MPC files.

CU

Dominic

MPC/ID3v2/Tag&Rename

Reply #2
Originally posted by Volcano

AFAIK, there's no tool to convert ID3v1 to APE as of yet.

silly silly... mppenct.exe is basically mppenc.exe (frank klemm) and tag.exe (case) stuck together in a way that's useful for use in rippers. search the forums for tag.exe; it converts tags to APE (from whatever) by default for mpc files. it's command line... if you want a frontend check out speek's website.

edit: as i understand it, adding id3v2 tags shouldn't do make anything not work. the decoder will just ignore it, but if it's just for your tagging and organizing utility (e.g. tag&rename), then i think it'll be ok. also, while i can understand you wanting to use a program you've already paid for, i would suggest you at least take a look at case's tag.exe. it's a fairly powerful tagger, though i'm not sure how useful it is for organizing things...

MPC/ID3v2/Tag&Rename

Reply #3
*Ouch*, of course, TAG.EXE! I had completely forgotten about that, I was only thinking of the commercial taggers like Helium, Tag&Rename etc.  Whoops...

MPC/ID3v2/Tag&Rename

Reply #4
if it's just for your tagging and organizing utility (e.g. tag&rename), then i think it'll be ok.

That's what I was thinking.

Also, I've been playing around with Tag.exe and Tag Frontend off and on, but haven't had much success figuring it out.  It just doesn't seem very intuitive to me.

Hopefully I'll receive a response to the email I sent to the Tag&Rename developers sometime this week.  I'm curious to find out what they'll say about the possibility of APE tag support, since the recognition of MPC seems to be a somewhat recent addition to the program.  I also find it odd that Tag&Rename still has support for VQF, which is a format I'm not familiar with, and have not seen mentioned at any of the audio compression sites or forums that I've been frequenting.

MPC/ID3v2/Tag&Rename

Reply #5
Originally posted by rocketsauce

Also, I've been playing around with Tag.exe and Tag Frontend off and on, but haven't had much success figuring it out.  It just doesn't seem very intuitive to me.

Tag was meant to recognize all the necessary fields from the filename and directory path to minimize the need for used input. I suggest reading the readme.txt entirely, there is basic functionality exlained there and if you really want to get to know the workings, read version history and check usage by running Tag without parameters. If you have questions you can e-mail me directly.