Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Moved to ALAC (Read 12782 times) previous topic - next topic

Moved to ALAC

I was getting really fed-up with all the inconsistencies of encoding my 500+ CDs to a lossless format. I've lurked here for some time, and while I appreciate the merrits of all the formats, I wanted to have one file format and the ability to use som "wife frienfdly" devices.

So Apple it was

The Nano 4GB holds enough lossless files for a day or so and it's easy to sync.

I agree that embedding artwork in each file is a waste of space, but memory is only going to get bigger and cheaper so that concern is minimized. Plus when you make up compilation the artwork shows up on the player - not to bad.

Will investigate some of the media servers to get output on the home stereo next

Just on man's opinion

T

Moved to ALAC

Reply #1
Why would you use lossless for your iPod ? I can understand using lossless for archiving and home stereo, but portable audio? Why not convert your ALAC files to AAC and get enough files for a week or so rather than just a day?

Moved to ALAC

Reply #2
Why would you use lossless for your iPod ? I can understand using lossless for archiving and home stereo, but portable audio? Why not convert your ALAC files to AAC and get enough files for a week or so rather than just a day?
Perhaps this will tell you why?
while I appreciate the merrits of all the formats, I wanted to have one file format and the ability to use som "wife frienfdly" devices.
Because he want to have only one file format I guess...

I use lossless files on my iPod for one simple reason. That is is for sure 100% Transparent all the time.
So there are no need to ABX each track to find the transparent bitrate for lossy encoding.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #3
Oh, right ... I guess I missed the one format part ... sorry. To each their own I suppose.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #4
If you RockBoxed your iPod, you can use FLAC as your single format

Moved to ALAC

Reply #5

Only hardcore techies that can command a premium do that. I sure would I don't have a DAP though 
budding I.T professional

Moved to ALAC

Reply #6
I was getting really fed-up with all the inconsistencies of encoding my 500+ CDs to a lossless format. I've lurked here for some time, and while I appreciate the merrits of all the formats, I wanted to have one file format and the ability to use som "wife frienfdly" devices.

I understand your situation and I leaned that way many times for the same reasons but with the Rockbox firmware I have so far been able to stay with FLAC.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #7
So..
You will be bound not only to 1 format (alac), but also to devices of 1 company, i i Apple.
If you go the FLAC way, you have more options, choices in hardware, portables, eg. major car manufactures (Volvo, Volkswagen) build into their cars devices, which play Flac. Not only with 1-4 GB, they are HD based.
Imo, it is not the best way to stick to monopolismn.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #8
user, I agree! ALAC is a poor choice. He should use FLAC and will regret his proprietary choice one day.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #9
I completely disagree, outside of the PC - ALAC has the MOST options for Lossless play. Why? The iPod is accepted everywhere. While import vehicles and 3rd party manufacturers have integrated the iPod with the car stereo for some time, now even GM and Ford are joining tha party which means almost ALL vehicles will have iPod integration.

So let's see, ALAC plays on any computer, in almost any car, obviously has unlimited portable options with the iPod, and with all of the 3rd party decives can be used on the home stereo system or attached to any number of speaker systems. So why does FLAC offer more options again?

The only reason NOT to use ALAC is if you just do not like Apple or do not want to further their domination of the market. 2 valid reasons I can understand, but compatability of ALAC is NOT a reason to use FLAC.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #10
Only hardcore techies that can command a premium do that. I sure would I don't have a DAP though 

Not really    All you have to be able to do is plugin your iPod and follow some instructions...then again maybe that's the difficult bit 

I use FLAC. Never even considered ALAC really, though I hate iTunes.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #11
I completely disagree, outside of the PC - ALAC has the MOST options for Lossless play. Why? The iPod is accepted everywhere. While import vehicles and 3rd party manufacturers have integrated the iPod with the car stereo for some time, now even GM and Ford are joining tha party which means almost ALL vehicles will have iPod integration.

So let's see, ALAC plays on any computer, in almost any car, obviously has unlimited portable options with the iPod, and with all of the 3rd party decives can be used on the home stereo system or attached to any number of speaker systems. So why does FLAC offer more options again?

The only reason NOT to use ALAC is if you just do not like Apple or do not want to further their domination of the market. 2 valid reasons I can understand, but compatability of ALAC is NOT a reason to use FLAC.

yes that's a lot of choice... once you buy an ipod and use itunes.

if you like another player better than ipod, or don't need/want to have to bring your portable to listen in your car, or don't like itunes for managing your music, or want gapless playback, or for any of the other reasons people have mentioned, how much choice do you have left with ALAC vs. FLAC?

Josh

Moved to ALAC

Reply #12
I'm a bit surprised there is still this kind of arguement over which lossless format to use. I've decided to move from FLAC to ALAC but if it does prove to be the wrong decision I just need to transcode overnight  to my next preferred lossless format.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #13
Yes that's a lot of choice... once you buy an ipod and use itunes.

if you like another player better than ipod, or don't need/want to have to bring your portable to listen in your car, or don't like itunes for managing your music, or want gapless playback, or for any of the other reasons people have mentioned, how much choice do you have left with ALAC vs. FLAC?

Absolutely agreed on the iPod part. There are several PC based applications that play ALAC now however, so iTunes is not an absolutely necessary - although its integration with the iPod does make it the logical choice.

As far as the iPod though, what DAPs are out there that are better? The Cowan player has some strong features and deserves consideration. The new Sandisk players are good alternatives to the Nano. The Creative Vision is OK. Really though - there is not a compelling reason NOT to use an iPod as your DAP unless you just dislike Apple or are an OGG devotee. I'm no Apple zealot, I would be happy to use a different DAP if a superior one was out there. I've just found, after much testing, nothing beats the iPod - ESPECIALLY when one factors the 3rd party accessories available.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #14
As far as the iPod though, what DAPs are out there that are better? The Cowan player has some strong features and deserves consideration. The new Sandisk players are good alternatives to the Nano. The Creative Vision is OK. Really though - there is not a compelling reason NOT to use an iPod as your DAP unless you just dislike Apple or are an OGG devotee. I'm no Apple zealot, I would be happy to use a different DAP if a superior one was out there. I've just found, after much testing, nothing beats the iPod - ESPECIALLY when one factors the 3rd party accessories available.

I'm sure people will now post. I love my iPod but use Rockbox because it has far more useful features than Apple's firmware. Apple will never fix the gapless problem, they will never support replaygain either, those two reasons alone are enough for me not to use the Apple firmware

Moved to ALAC

Reply #15
my point is that the ALAC "choice" is conditional on ipod and/or itunes, which many people do not like for good reasons (disliking apple is not one of them).  that's a separate topic.

Josh

Moved to ALAC

Reply #16
Apple can stick their overpriced accessories you know where.

Ipod is not the best for everybody, especially those who want recording features, externally replaceable batteries and built-in radios, to name a few (not to mention everything already mentioned above).

Moved to ALAC

Reply #18

Ipod is not the best for everybody, especially those who want recording features, externally replaceable batteries and built-in radios, to name a few (not to mention everything already mentioned above).

But it is the best for the majority, because of the simplicity of the process of starting with CDs and ending up with songs on your iPod, who just want to listen to music and don't care about any of that stuff..  Hence the number of people who buy iPods.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #19

The iPod 60gb video can be had for $299 refurbished with a one year warrety. Plus when you go Rockbox and line out into a decend headphone amp, you have a good sounding system for not too too much as long as you couple it with good cans. The earbuds aren't worth anything.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #20

Sorry but in my opinion RockBox on iPod is still not ready for daily usage.
Main problem is the battery charging mode: it drains energy faster than it can charge.

Moved to ALAC

Reply #21
I'm the original poster, and I appreciate all the dialogue! To be honest, I'm trying to put aside the bias and just be practical. One of my favorite all-time DAP is the Creative N200 (now called a muvo micro I think) - FM radio, FM recording, Line in MP3 encoding, and it uses STANDARD batteries but now "only" 1GB. If it played lossless (FLAC WMA or other) I'd keep it!  I wish my iPod had half of the features it has.
But...
I now only have one copy of all my music and I do not have to transcode to download and it's easy to manage. I can listen to a pristine copy on home stereo, I can put it in my iPod Nano - play it in the car or listen on the run. Podcasts are now starting to make up for the missing radio (no.. I do not want to buy an add-on)
I know there is a bias against apple and I understand and agree with many of the complaints.
But...
The bottom line is it works well with iTunes (but I never will buy a DRM song - I'll buy the CD and rip). My wife is not afraid of it. It just works and I'm tired of spending my time being "geeky" and am now spending more time enjoying my music. Apple may be a monopoly - but it got there by building an integrated system that "normal" people can use. I don't see the  foul in that.

Finally - this forum rocks - It's great to be able to get opinions from all you enlightened folks - thanks.

T

Moved to ALAC

Reply #22
I know there is a bias against apple and I understand and agree with many of the complaints.

Bias, what bias? I LOVE APPLE. I wish they had 30% of the PC market. I'm moving to a MacBook as soon as i can. (This is not sarcasm)

Moved to ALAC

Reply #24
Apple Listens To Its Consumers™