Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can i open or convert that audio format??? (Read 1659 times) previous topic - next topic

How can i open or convert that audio format???

Hi for everyone.

I'm trying to change a song from a game.
I extracted and  tried to open with some audio players but does not recognize.

It has the .wav extension but when I open it with some hex editor it appears that the file is ogg, but even when I change the extension to .ogg it does not open

Here some part that appears on hex edit

vorbis.....€».......q......¸.OggS.......... .......Cz×ö.?ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ‘.vorbis/...BS; LancerMod(SSE3) (based on aoTuV [20110424]

Sorry, it seemed a bit confusing, but I'm using a translator

Re: How can i open or convert that audio format???

Reply #1
Usually Ogg files begin with Oggs, not the bytes you have before that IIRC.  Where did you get the file?  Can I download it somewhere?

Reply #2
I extracted and  tried to open with some audio players but does not recognize.
Some audio players or all audio players?

If you can play it you can record it as it's playing with Audacity or another audio editing/recording program.  (Or, Audacity with the optional FFmpeg import/export library may be able to open & convert it.)

You can also try TAudioConverter or XMedia Recode.

Reply #4
Thx for your replys guys   :)).

I found a program, i can open it with Foobar2000.
I converted any custom music and replaced the game's music, but the song gets mute, I think it's because I have converted it with a newer version, LancerMod... 1.3.5
The problem now is: how can i convert an custom music music to ogg format BS; LancerMod(SSE3) (based on aoTuV [20110424]) on Windows.

I only find the BS; LancerMod(SSE3) (based on aoTuV [20110424][1.3.5])

Sorry for my English, I hope you understood.

Reply #5
The problem now is: how can i convert an custom music music to ogg format BS; LancerMod(SSE3) (based on aoTuV [20110424]) on Windows.

That is just the version of the Vorbis encoder used to make the file. 

It sounds like the file is in some custom format that is similar to Ogg but not quite the same.  A simple idea:  take your track and add the custom bytes before the "Oggs" to the front of your files and see if the game understands the file?

Reply #6
Sounds like a modified Ogg Vorbis file from a video game (there's games that like to create non-standard Ogg files.) If that's the case, you could try searching for a music converter or "ripper" for that video game, which is able to convert the files to standard Ogg.

Reply #7
Which game is it?

Posting the string side of the hex editor is very useless because it is binary data. The hex data would be more useful here.

How does the ending of the weird vorbis file look like?

Looks like a header on top of a header because the developers were too lazy to parse from the original file header or they want to put everything in exotic proprietary containers to prevent you from changing the files.  :D

Can you find some values that are typical to sample rates, channel-count, file-size or length if you read the values as 2- or 4-byte using your hex editor? Try both, big-endian (the highest byte comes first) and little endian (the lowest byte comes first).

If so, you could try to add that header to your new file with adjusted value.

Game audio engines are often very picky with audio formats. You would be safe if you encode the vorbis with the same samplerate, bitrate and channel-count as the original file used. Probably, you must remove the tag data from your vorbis file, if there is any.

Basically, vorbis is vorbis regardless which encoder is used. But it might be that some encoders use parts of the specification that isn't fully implemented in the decoder of the game sound engine. So it might be helpful to try different encoders or encoder versions in this case.
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -