Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Changed MP3 tags back up (Read 3663 times) previous topic - next topic

Changed MP3 tags back up

Hi
I have all my music stored on a internal hard drive "D" drive
Each night free file sync creates a mirror back up to an external hard drive "H" drive

Ive recently started DJing with the portable H drive and using the comments field to store genre information (Using comments suits me for a few reasons)

The problem is when i add information to the comments field on mp3s on the D drive, free file sync doesn't see it as a modified file so it doesn't copy the newly tagged file over to the H drive.

This morning i have tried Jampal, free supersync and Mp3tagCompleteTags with no luck.

Can anybody recommend a back up program that will notice changed tags, and back up the file?

Many Thanks for your time in advance.

Re: Changed MP3 tags back up

Reply #1
I'm haven't used the sync software you're using so I may not be the best person to reply but here goes...
Have you looked at the options for all the programs you're currently using?
Looks like 3 different comparison variants available in FreeFileSync
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=comparison-settings
1. Compare by File time and size.
File size would likely remain unchanged after a tag edit. A fixed/padded tag block allows tags to be changed without rewriting the whole file.
Some tagging programs have an option to prevent timestamps from being modified. MP3Tag for example https://help.mp3tag.de/options_tags.html.
If the timestamp and the file size are unchanged, the files are considered equal in this variant.

2. Compare by File content checks for identical content and would likely catch a tag edit but bit-by-bit compare could be slow and probably not what you're using.

3. Compare by File size (see File size in #1).
korth

Re: Changed MP3 tags back up

Reply #2
Hi
Many thanks for the help, it seems Virtual DJ was screwing things up a bit. All sorted now.

Thanks again