Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux Stuff (Read 10829 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux Stuff

lol you must be ignorant. mandrake uses rpm, in fact mandrake is entirly based on redhat fyi.

Linux Stuff

Reply #1
Originally posted by superorc
lol you must be ignorant. mandrake uses rpm, in fact mandrake is entirly based on redhat fyi.

Haha...In fact I think almost all flavors of Linux use RPM for packages

Linux Stuff

Reply #2
I was saying the rpm format was bad  I was saying red hat is.  And since when is mandrake based off of redhat?  Mandrake is just another distributor of Linux.  Redhat is a bloated piece of poop.

p.s.  Dibrom... Has your changes in 3.90.2 made it into the official lame source code yet?  like in this guys "ftp://cedric.vabo.cz/pub/linux/apps/lame/".

Linux Stuff

Reply #3
mandrake was originally based on redhat believe or not. and mandrake does still use rpm.

Linux Stuff

Reply #4
mandrake was originally based on redhat believe or not. and mandrake does still use rpm.
thats not really that hard to believe figuring how redhat was one of the first big distrubutes out there.

redhat still sucks, though.  mandrake may have been based off it, but it definetly didn't go down that bloat road redhat did.

Linux Stuff

Reply #5
Originally posted by SNYder
thats not really that hard to believe figuring how redhat was one of the first big distrubutes out there.

redhat still sucks, though.  mandrake may have been based off it, but it definetly didn't go down that bloat road redhat did.

Actually the last install of Mandrake I seen was 3 CD's and RH is using 2 CD's for the install. Stop while your ahead SNYder :-)

I like Mandrake more than RH also but it's more bloated than RH ever though about being. Sorry, don't mean to add fuel to the fire guys.

Linux Stuff

Reply #6
<Off Topic>

Bah..  Debian or Gentoo  That's where it's at..  Gentoo especially really looks to be turning out nicely.

</Off Topic>

Linux Stuff

Reply #7
[deleted]

Linux Stuff

Reply #8
i have a question. why do you say its communist? the gpl says you have the freedom to do whatever you want to do, as long as you make the source available somehow. oh and i tried freebsd. not as much hardware support, no 3d support.

Linux Stuff

Reply #9
I've been reading a lot about linux lately and was thinking of giving it a go. Which is better? Mandrake or Suse?

They both seem pretty good to me especially Mandrake.

Linux Stuff

Reply #10
Originally posted by MaTTeR
Actually the last install of Mandrake I seen was 3 CD's and RH is using 2 CD's for the install. Stop while your ahead SNYder :-)
no no no.  only the first mandrake cd is the actual installer.  the rest is extra stuff which you don't half to install.

and since when is there 3 cd's?  last time I downloaded it, it was two? :confused:

--------------------------------

WOOOOOO!!!!!

Linux Stuff

Reply #11
no no no.  only the first mandrake cd is the actual installer.  the rest is extra stuff which you don't half to install.

Well, you'll need the second CD if you ever want to compile anything yourself...

And yes, there are three CDs in the latest Mandrake 8.1, the least stable and most buggy version of Mandrake yet. RedHat 7.2 is what I'm currently using. Both have excellent install systems, although both use RPM, which isn't the ideal package format.

fascist and communist 

Idiot.

Linux Stuff

Reply #12
Originally posted by Jon Ingram
Both have excellent install systems, although both use RPM, which isn't the ideal package format.

This is really why I prefer Gentoo myself, aside from the less "bloated" feeling it also offers.  In addition, I just prefer the more "hands on" approach as in starting from a minimalistic setup and then building from there instead of having everything dumped onto the system all at once during install.  Of course, you can slim down the installs of Redhat/Mandrake, but still.  I don't really like having a bunch of stuff installed on my system that I don't specifically use and IMO it's more of a pain in the ass to go through an installer and uncheck everything than to just start from scratch and build upwards.

The downside to Gentoo though is basically the opposite of Redhat and Mandrake.  The install isn't extremely user friendly, but the package management system is significantly better than RPM IMO.

Originally posted by MaTTeR
Haha...In fact I think almost all flavors of Linux use RPM for packages

RPM is popular, but there certainly are other (better) package management systems out there.  Debian's apt (there's an apt tool for RPM also, yes, but I've never used it) is really nice, Gentoo's Portage system is great (similar to the BSD Ports), and there are some others like Stampede's SLP and then there's the basic Slackware tarballs.  There's probably more out there also.

Linux Stuff

Reply #13
[deleted]

Linux Stuff

Reply #14
I think it's a bit unfair to make such a statement when the comment it was in response to was equally devoid of meaning, other than a bit of name calling. 

I respect both BSD and Linux.  OpenBSD is one of my favorite OS's as a matter of fact, but it certainly doesn't replace Linux for what I use it for.  They serve different purposes in my eyes.  At any rate, I don't buy into the whole license wars crap myself (or the KDE vs Gnome stuff, or this or that, or... etc, etc).  I say, use what's available to you and what makes you happy, and let everyone else do the same.  Arguing one way or the other in an offensive manner is kind of pointless because neither side is going to change their mind in the end anyway.

Linux Stuff

Reply #15
Originally posted by TrNSZ
People who respond to criticism with one word comments that mean nothing only weaken their position and show the true nature of the so-called "Linux community".

To expand on my one word reply:
1) Fascism and communism are from opposite ends of the political spectrum. Something cannot be 'fascist and communist'. By saying that, you show that you have no idea what either word means.
2) Neither fascism nor communism are applicable to Linux.
3) Neither fascism nor communism are necessarily an insult, despite you obviously intending them both as one.

I see you are from America, which would explain your misunderstanding of the term communism. I'm unsure how you attached the label fascist to Linux, however.

Altogether, I believe I summed up this much more concisely in my previous reply.

Linux Stuff

Reply #16
[deleted]

Linux Stuff

Reply #17
So, I now have two choices.

1) get into a long drawn out, virulent flamewar.
2) walk away.

I choose (2). I thought you were just being a clueless idiot. Now I see that you're not an idiot, and have a clue, but for some reason didn't feel like using it. If you get your kicks out of trolling, then good for you. I'm sorry your experience with Linux has been so disappointing. Perhaps it's something for me to look forward to once I've been around as long as you have.

Linux Stuff

Reply #18
[deleted]

Linux Stuff

Reply #19
couple replies:

1. Mandrake has always been based off of Red Hat...it rehashed Red Hat and added a more Newbie friendly face to it...it came with all features of Red Hat in the first 5.x versions...
2. BSD? LINUX? WINDOWS? they are all for different people with different specialties...[those with intelligence use Debian/Slackware Linux and those that don't use Windows and in the middle are other Linux distros and "BSD" which by the way is lame...] he he he
3. no linux doesn't suck...what sucks is paying hundreds of dollars for software which could be free and continuosly updated for free.  and the ability to choose from hundreds of linux distros to match your needs and expertise?  how is that communist? fascist?...you are retarded...
4. most distros come with one installation cd and all additional cd's are packages/programs
5. trnsz...why such a hate for linux?
6. if linux is less superior...than why is it more stable?

i hope this refuels the flaming....

Linux Stuff

Reply #20
[deleted]

Linux Stuff

Reply #21
It's all about the Amiga and OS/2.

And BeOS.

Linux Stuff

Reply #22
[deleted]

Linux Stuff

Reply #23
trnsz, sorry for not replying sooner...i kinda forget i left that little flame fuel post...

ok...fessing up, i have never even seen a bsd system and those "he he he" chuckles were just there to get somebody talking...i have little knowledge of computers outside of Micro$oft, but would really like to learn...

when i said "more stable" i was referring to windows...

in the workstation environment, what would you use [or do use]?

can you say something more about the linux issue, sometime not at 5:19am?  i would appreciate it...if you don't want to post it you could email me at xmixahlx at yahoo.com

long live communism!

Linux Stuff

Reply #24
[deleted]