Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD Software Decoders?! (Read 11593 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD Software Decoders?!

I'm about to lose my mind.  All I want are some reasonably priced DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD software decoders.  Does anyone know where I can find some?  As for ffmpeg, it has some ginarmous memory leak whenever I try to open a file with them.

Reply #1
I'm about to lose my mind.  All I want are some reasonably priced DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD software decoders.  Does anyone know where I can find some?  As for ffmpeg, it has some ginarmous memory leak whenever I try to open a file with them.

The question is how on earth do you have files encoded in these formats to decode in the first place. AFAIK they are only used on Bluray. licensed software encoders/decoders are never going to be cheap. You'll just have to wait until a usable unlicensed FFmpeg implementation is available.

Reply #2

The question is how on earth do you have files encoded in these formats to decode in the first place. AFAIK they are only used on Bluray. licensed software encoders/decoders are never going to be cheap. You'll just have to wait until a usable unlicensed FFmpeg implementation is available.

I have decrypted Blu-ray content.  No, I'm not going to put any of them on Torrent sites.  These are MINE and I paid for them.

As for the state of things, I guess a little waiting won't hurt.

Reply #3
I have decrypted Blu-ray content. No, I'm not going to put any of them on Torrent sites. These are MINE and I paid for them.

That sounds very hypocritical to me. What other reason would you have for doing this besides making a backup? I am suprised the lead developer of ffmpeg hasn't created his own implementation as of yet.
budding I.T professional

Reply #4
I have decrypted Blu-ray content. No, I'm not going to put any of them on Torrent sites. These are MINE and I paid for them.

That sounds very hypocritical to me. What other reason would you have for doing this besides making a backup? I am suprised the lead developer of ffmpeg hasn't created his own implementation as of yet.

Because I don't want to load a disc in everytime I want to see a movie.  I want to double-click a file, complete with chapter points and subtitles.  Why should I play with ~ 35 GB per movie when each one can be ~4 GB and easily accessible?

EDIT:  I've been wondering if the extra trouble is really worth it.  Do the supplemental streams make it sound THAT MUCH better?  The core AC3 stream is already at 640 Kbps, which AFAIK is higher than DVD audio.  They're ending up as Q5 (AOTUV) Vorbis files, so there won't be much loss there.  Has anyone even been able to distinguish the difference between the core track and the full track?  As a side note, I do care about dynamic range.

Reply #5
If you pay for Nero 7, Sonic, and perhaps ArcSoft, you can use their decoders with eac3to.

EDIT: If you use eac3to, its libav / ffmpeg has been patched to decode TrueHD.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley