Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: klemms or buschmanns MPC (Read 10983 times) previous topic - next topic

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #25
Why it worries you? Development still continues (which is a good thing), and regardless of some tweaks with ans, insane profile is still very high quality with or without ans tweaks. This issue is nothing compared to the quality differencies between different Lame settings or mp3 quality issues in general.
Juha Laaksonheimo

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #26
Originally posted by Dacs_IV
Well, this reply worries me more than anything.   I don't know what the "ANS code" does, and from what Frank says, it's not too clear if disabling the ANS results in a decrease of audio quality when using the Insane setting.  I've been using the Insane setting since day 1.    Regarding clipping, I use Audiograbber to normalize all my wavs and haven't noticed any clipping using Frank's .90o encoder. Maybe I should go back to using Andre's with the Insane setting............ man, I'm getting bad flashbacks of going nuts over what/who's settings were better for LAME, VBR vs CBR, etc., etc., etc.....

Don't normalize your WAV files, the quality isn't all that good... in fact, it's the worst way to reduce clipping. See http://ff123.net/norm.html on clipping prevention.

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #27
Originally posted by Dacs_IV
Well, this reply worries me more than anything.   I don't know what the "ANS code" does, and from what Frank says, it's not too clear if disabling the ANS results in a decrease of audio quality when using the Insane setting.  I've been using the Insane setting since day 1.    Regarding clipping, I use Audiograbber to normalize all my wavs and haven't noticed any clipping using Frank's .90o encoder. Maybe I should go back to using Andre's with the Insane setting............ man, I'm getting bad flashbacks of going nuts over what/who's settings were better for LAME, VBR vs CBR, etc., etc., etc.....

ANS is adaptive noise shaping and it is an attempt to push the noise that is added to a file into the inaudible region.  the problem here seems to be that the code that picks what is inaudible or not resets for every frame, and it shouldnt.

its really nothing to worry about, as frank is quite capable of figuring it out.

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #28
Lol..no kidding...gives me the heebie-geebies, to tell the truth.  However, the encoding as an album would actually be quite easy with Audiograbber.  It allows you to "rip all tracks before encoding," so you could simply do that, and then run the mpc encoder as an external encoder.  Nifty, no?  And then no clipping

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #29
Obviously normalizing does change the overall sound somewhat, especially when using compression.  However, I've found it quite reliable. I've tried other methods for volume control and nothing has ever seemed to work as well.  I'm more worried about my encoder not representing every audible sound in the original wav/song, while keeping noise at a minimum.  So far, my ears tell me MPC is the best for what I want to do. Sure, I could use Monkey's Audio or other forms of lossless compression, but the resulting files are way too big for my needs.

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #30
the best way to handle clipping problems is replaygain.

unfortunately i am still unable to use this on my computer for some reason

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #31
If they would just open the source...

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #32
i think this was discussed.....

personally i am glad they dont open the source.

then it ends up with mp3 and someone will make some really crappy encoder that everyone will uses (aka xing) and will mess up the format

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #33
Originally posted by spase
i think this was discussed.....

personally i am glad they dont open the source.

then it ends up with mp3 and someone will make some really crappy encoder that everyone will uses (aka xing) and will mess up the format 
Like Ogg Vorbis has gotten all messed up?

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #35
But look at ogg and lame. If someone like Garf thinks of a way to improve the tuning or Dibrom wants to fix bugs, they can. Which helps everyone. With closed source software, you're stuck with whatever you've got.

klemms or buschmanns MPC

Reply #36
I agree.  Keep the source closed.  MPC/Musepack/MPeg+/whatever it's being called these days is the best sounding lossy format I've heard so far and opening up the source only brings about the neverending arguments about who's version is better, what commandline options are better, etc. and I really don't want to be subjected to that foray again. That's the other reason, besides the sound, that I like MPC. I use the insane setting from day-1 and it's sounded great on 99.9% of my music.