Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Howto: ABX Test for surround sound (Prologic) with mp3 (Read 8288 times) previous topic - next topic

Howto: ABX Test for surround sound (Prologic) with mp3

by the way:

I like this TESTING idea even though I never tried an ABX Blind Test or any double blind test yet.

----should this be a seperate thread maybe?----

I'm willing to learn, so maybe we can do a little class: "How to perform a ABX Blind Test for surround sound with mp3" .

Questions:
1. Which software do we need?
2. What about the hardware?
3. Where do we get "clean" samplesfrom?
4. How's the test to be done?

I can provide the following:
Hardware (2.):
- DTS Dolby Digital and DPLII compatible amp (Yamaha RX-V430RDS)
- Computer: AMD Athlon 1800+, 512mb RAM, Mainboard: nvidia nforce 2 epox EP-8RDA+(pdf)
- Soundcard: On-Board, Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC-3) compatible, S/PDIF or 6 ch, analog or digital output
- DVD/CD-Rom combo, Samsung SM-348B
- headphones or speackers (no subwoofer)
Software (1.):
- player: MMJB, Media Player Classic
- ripper: EAC lame-3.90.3
- videosound filter: AC3 Filter .70b

any more important??

More questions:
-Whats the perfect setup for my system?
..use S/PDIF or 6channel analog?
..enable or disable (for DPLII maybe) soundcard settings (very difficult to setup - spent some houre infront of it and it still doesn't work as I want it to)?
  [Have to get in to detail of the settings with you first]
..use headphones or speakers?
..what to do next and what did I forget to ask?

JD

Reply #1
This is split from this thread.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #2
thx tigre,

guess it was the best idea to split!

JD

Reply #3
Questions:
1. Which software do we need?

If you have a working hardware setup like this ...

Source audio from CD / DVD movie audio prologic encoded
-> PC playback
-> soundcard digital/line out
-> Amp digital/line in
-> processing to 5.1 surround
-> playback through 5.1 speaker system

... you can simply use ABX software like foobar2000's abx tool or ABC/HR
You need to encode the test samples, e.g. using recommended lame settings/compile (-> sticky thread in mp3 section). Foobar2000 handles decoding/replaygain etc. for ABXing (semi-)automatically; if you want to use ABC/HR or WinABX you need to decode to .wav manually before you can start testing.

If there's a software that can do the same as hardware prologic decoders, even better. I this case we could create test samples that can be used by everyone with a 5.1 speaker setup. Does anyone know/have such a software?

2. What about the hardware?

see above
3. Where do we get "clean" samples from?

If I understand correctly, prologic II works with every stereo source, but it would be nice to have some prologic encoded source. So - if anyone has a dvd with such an audio stream - provide a sample, please.
4. How's the test to be done?

With a hardware setup comparable to the one described above, just use the ABX software as usual (details see FAQ).

..use S/PDIF or 6channel analog?

For soundcard -> amp s/pdif if digital inputs/outputs are available. If I understand correctly, signal sent from soundcard to amp is 2 channel, it becomes 6 channel after prologic decoding by the amp, no?

..enable or disable (for DPLII maybe) soundcard settings (very difficult to setup - spent some houre infront of it and it still doesn't work as I want it to)?

What soundcard settings are you talking about? - Generally, in my understanding, the signal should reach the amp as pure as possible.

..use headphones or speakers?

Prologic is designed for use with 5.1 speakers system, so using headphones for testing will be quite pointless IMO.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #4
Sorry - seems my pc is f***ed up: (offtopic) Suffering from performance lock up...dunno what to do. I'm already accusing Foobar. Hope I'm wrong because I would like to help make it a usable player!

JD

ps: as soon as I fixed the problem I'll do the ABXing! If anyone is interested...we could share experiences and results!

edit: was it foobar?