Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Prerelease of Cdparanoia 10.0 (Read 23919 times) previous topic - next topic

Prerelease of Cdparanoia 10.0

Reply #25
cdparanoia is a back-end, and AccurateRip is a database. It would be possible for a separate closed-source app to use cdparanoia as a separate back-end and use AccurateRip.
You could easily (and legally) write a frontend which runs cdparanoia (with the Windows equivalent of execve) in a seperate process to do the ripping and then do the accuraterip stuff when the cdparanoia process is finished. The issue is covered in the GPL FAQ.

For those wondering about libraries - if you have a linux program and want to see whether it links to a new library you installed, try ldd.
Code: [Select]
$ ldd /bin/bash
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7e96000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7e93000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7d63000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7eee000)
This shows that bash (the shell program) links dynamically against libncurses, libdl and libc. linux-gate.so is some internal magic done by the kernel - it's a library which doesn't really exist, but is loaded into the address space of programs as they start. If you want more info on this magic, check this out

Reply #26
[deleted]

Reply #27
I am working with someone on AccurateRips forum to develop an open 3rd party read access of AccurateRip.

Reply #28
[deleted]

Reply #29
http://xiph.org/paranoia/news.html

May 16, 2008

cdparanoia 10 prerelease 2 now up for testing

The upcoming release is mostly intended to keep up with bugfixes and kernel changes over the past few years. Cdparanoia 10 is intended to be the last major release of the Paranoia III series (which maintains out-of-the-box compatability with linux kernels all the way back to Linux 2.0) before restarting development of Paranoia IV, which will be a break with the older versions.

Aside from bugfixes and updates to match the Linux kernel, 10.0pre2 includes two significant changes:

1. Release 10.0pre2 updates the cdparanoia tool license to the GPLv3, and relicenses the cdparanoia libraries (cdda_interface.so and cdda_paranoia.so) under the LGPLv3.

2. When using an MMC drive, cdparanoia attempts to set the DAP bit to request that cdrom drives should use hardware interpolation to reconstruct over completely destroyed samples. This should eliminate the substantial audible differences some drives produce when playing back a disc as audio as opposed to ripping as data.

Unless new bugs are found in 10.0pre2, it will become the final 10.0 release in approximately two weeks.

Reply #30
Thanks for the heads up.

Reply #31
Wow, good to see a cdparanoia update after all these years

I hope cdparanoia IV becomes even better than those closed apps
She is waiting in the air

Reply #32
I hope cdparanoia IV becomes even better than those closed apps

Until there is support for C2 pointers, this is not going to happen.

Is this new release of Cdparanoia now more reliable when dealing with caching drives?