Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Realtek High Definition Audio and playing MP3 audio (Read 2660 times) previous topic - next topic

Realtek High Definition Audio and playing MP3 audio

I have a new Sony portable computer. There is a High Definition Audio chipset on board and there is an optical S/PDIF output. I have connected this output to my surround sound processor (home-theater system) with a Toslink optical cable. This sound processor can decode Dolby Digital, DTS, WMA and MP3 signals.
DD, DTS and WMA can be selected in the Vista Control Panel > Sound > Realtek Digital Output (Optical) > Properties. I tested these 3 types of output and they work perfect. However, mp3 can not be selected, and when playing mp3's, no sound is heard from my home-theater speakers. Is it impossible to play mp3's through this optical output due to Realtek system design ?
Is there any workaround for this ? Any other software/hardware solution for this ? Thinking of some kind of special (3rd party) software decoder....

Kind regards
Filip

Moderation: Moved to Audio Hardware.

Realtek High Definition Audio and playing MP3 audio

Reply #1
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Do you get two channel stereo sound with mp3's or do you get no sound at all?