Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting AAC to WAV (Read 6265 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting AAC to WAV

I have an .AVI file that the audio is encoded with .AAC.  I want to convert the whole thing to mpeg so I can make a SVCD.  Tmpgenc 2.5 does not support aac audio as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or can anyone point me to a howto or documentation?  any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Vertical

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #1
? ok, so you could:
* extract the audio stream
* convert video/container
* * * convert audio if needed
* add audio stream

done

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #2
Hi. Try this. Load your avi in virtual dub. select the "save wave" function. The audio will be saved as a .wav file so you will have to correct the file extention.

Decode the aac with winamps wave writer or such. Remux the wave back into the avi. You may lose A-V sync at this point. You'ss have to check.

Then use DVD2SVCD to convert the avi to SVCD.

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #3
VirtualDub is your friend. But when you use the Save WAV function, make sure to enable the Full Processing mode on the audio and to select the PCM WAV output and so forth. Also save to an NTFS drive to avoid the limit on filesize (it'll be large).

You don't need to remux the WAV back into the AVI, TMPGEnc is perfectly capable of reading the video from the AVI and the Audio from the WAV, and I've never lost sync this way.. or at least never lost it any more than it already was. I usually prefer to encode the WAV into an MP2 with tooLame first, encode the video into an M2V with TMPGEnc, and then manually mux the two together to create the SVCD.. But that's just me.

Alternatively, GraphEdit is your boy. If you can play the thing using Windows Codecs, GraphEdit can probably save it to some other format. Not the easiest thing to use, but it works.

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #4
I d/led Virtualdub and loaded up the avi  I set the audio for full processing and clicked on save wav.  I go the following error message.

No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format.

Does Virtualdub have an AAC decoder plugin?  I have installed ffdshow and can watch the anime in MediaPlayer Classic.  I did a search for 'aac virtualdub plugin' but haven't found anything.

Thanks

Vertical

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #5
You get this a lot with Matroska files. I don't use windows so I demux with command lines tools and then decompress the aac file. Then mpeg2enc to make the mp2 file for svcd. Have never had a problem with sync.

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #6
I d/led Virtualdub and loaded up the avi  I set the audio for full processing and clicked on save wav.  I go the following error message.

No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format.

Does Virtualdub have an AAC decoder plugin?  I have installed ffdshow and can watch the anime in MediaPlayer Classic.  I did a search for 'aac virtualdub plugin' but haven't found anything.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233432"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

VirtualDub just uses the Windows codecs, not it's own type of plugins. Can you hear the audio in Windows Media Player? If you can't play the thing, then very little will help you to decode it into something else.

Sounds like you need to find an AAC Codec.

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #7
I have a box running debian 3.0 for my samba box, does these tools need X?  If not can you point me to the tools to demux the AVI?

Vertical

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #8
1. Demux using Avi-Mux
2. Decode using FAAD2
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #9
It's good to see that AAC-in-AVI is really used

BTW, AVI-Mux GUI is the ONLY tool handling AAC-in-AVI. That means, if you didn't know that you can use it to demux your file, then you most likely did not create it on your own, and that you got it via sharing O 

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #10
You can leave it up to audio guys to say something about VirtualDub. 
It would not just need a codec, it would need an ACM... if im not mistaken there arent any usable ones. (I believe Bonzi tried to make it work once with some old source code or something).

Anyway the saving as wav function in VDub is useless for AAC as long as there is no working ACM. Do it like dev0 proposed.
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #11
I like to think I'm pretty smart about stuff, but I downloaded Avi-Mux AND the help file and the word demux is listed ONE time.  It refers to demuxing the video ONLY.  dev0 - If your suggestion was serious, could you point me to the help file that explains demuxing.  I know that I can not find it on google.

Vertical

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #12
1. open the file in AVIMux GUI
2. add the file to the muxing list, the audio stream will now appear in the lower white frame (you do this with the "generate data source from files"-button)
3. right click on the audio stream --> extract binary

that should be it
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #13
*bows*
I feel kinda stupid.  Works great and now I can load it up in Tmpgenc and create a nice SVCD.

Thank you very much

Vertical

Converting AAC to WAV

Reply #14
from rtfm.txt:

'your mouse has a right button' ...