Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: USB microphone for recording low-level sounds in room (Read 1323 times) previous topic - next topic

USB microphone for recording low-level sounds in room

I need a USB mic to document strange noises in one of my rooms and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. These sounds are pretty subtle, so I assume a condenser may be the best choice. How's the Blue Yeti?

Re: USB microphone for recording low-level sounds in room

Reply #1
Almost any mic will pick-up background noise and you can amplify after recording.     But, the "strange noises" may be masked by other "normal" background noises.    In a recording, you loose all of the directional information (although you can get some directional information with stereo recording).   Without the directional cues it's harder for your brain to separate sounds.  

Re: USB microphone for recording low-level sounds in room

Reply #2
Is it ghosts? Please tell me it's ghosts.

Would a binaural mic like those that come with ears help, maybe?