Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is the state of cover art still wobbly? (Read 2703 times) previous topic - next topic

Is the state of cover art still wobbly?

I tried to add cover art recently with easytag and found that it did work, at least that's what I thought.

I can't pinpoint the problem, but the problem I'm seeing is that some opus files seem to get scrambled when adding cover art (at least with easytag). Some files play with a skip at the beginning, and on some players the playback length is screwed (showing negative numbers and no seeking). Others seem to be fine. The effect seems to be similar with ogg files and I assume that's the same container.

Anyone know what the problem is? Or easytag doing it wrong and there is a specific software that can do it?

Re: Is the state of cover art still wobbly?

Reply #1
It sounds as if EasyTag is mangling the Ogg container format, which affects both Ogg Vorbis and Opus files.

Reply #2
I have no issues using mp3tag and album art.  All my artwork displays correctly and has never given me any problems with my Opus files.

Reply #3
I have no issues using mp3tag and album art.  All my artwork displays correctly and has never given me any problems with my Opus files.

Ditto here, also can confirm that my favorite tagger Kid3 has no issues with Opus.

electrick, try running opusinfo.exe against one of your files that was tagged by easytag and it should give you an indication of what actually is getting messed up;  it's inside of the opus-tools package:

https://github.com/Chocobo1/opus-tools_win32-build/releases

Drop opusinfo.exe in the file's folder, then open a command window and run opusinfo -v "yourfilename.opus"  It will give you a file analysis that highlights any problems.

Reply #4
I'm on linux so mp3tag is not an option, but kid3 seems to work.

The output of broken files, if someone wants to see it. I compared a good and bad file with opusinfo and the only difference is this, which just confirms that it's broken:

Code: [Select]
WARNING: Invalid packet or misplaced header in stream 1
Negative or zero granulepos (0) on Opus stream outside of headers. This file was created by a buggy encoder
WARNING: Invalid packet or misplaced header in stream 1

Apart from kid3 I also found that encoding an flac containing cover art with opusenc also carries over to opus without a problem, even if that's not all practical. But I guess it's time to remove easytag.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply #5
Good, you'll be happy with Kid3, however Foobar's own internal tagger also works just fine with Opus cover art tagging  :)

You should send the output from opusinfo.exe for these files to the easytag developer so they can debug the app for others.

About a year ago I had a related issue, Opus album art was not being shown in ONE of my players, but was good in others (incl. Foobar).  Found out using opusinfo the tagger I was using was creating a technically off-compliance image tag that the one less "forgiving" player balked on.  Sent info, developer fixed it.

Reply #6
As I said, I'm on Linux so foobar2000 is another thing that's not an option. easytag, and kid3 seem like the only options.

The bug has already been reported for years and not fixed, which is typical for gnome stuff.
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=776110

The best option is to avoid anything attached to gnome when there are other options.