Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Visual Basic Component development (Read 3432 times) previous topic - next topic

Visual Basic Component development

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I would likle to know if there are any possibility to write components (e.g. User Interface) using Visual Basic (using VS .net 2003).

If yes I would like to know about any example to use/interface with the SDK and if any special technique is required to do so.

Reply #1
Is it possible? Probably.

Are there examples/interfaces for this? No.

Special technique required? Wrap all the .NET (managed) classes you want to expose to foobar2000 with classes written in unmanaged C++. So while it should be possible, it most likely isn't much fun to do it. Another problem that you have to overcome, is the lack of generics in the current version of .NET, but this could be handled by the C++ wrapper classes.

Reply #2
Thank you ... I understand that but would alos like to know if any wrapping is needed whenever I would invoke methods from the toolkit.

Reply #3
A more general question, and one that applies to the other 'managed' .net languages, is why? You would create a new dependency on the .net runtimes, which are about 30mb, and if they're not already loaded you're going to drastically slow down foobar startup as well as increase the memory footprint before your plugin does anything at all.

I use VB in my day job, and it rocks for client/server apps, but i'd avoid any foobar plugin that has dependencies like the .net runtime.

seany

Reply #4
I don't care about those run time if they can be avoided .... I'm just planning to write my custom GUI and find it easir in VB but who like to know how to proceed