Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Configure music library using external drive and NAS on Linux Mint (Read 735 times) previous topic - next topic

Configure music library using external drive and NAS on Linux Mint

I suspect this is a repeat.  I can find tantalising almost-answers even.  But no luck trying.  Having installed FB2k via snapd on the following system

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.7
    tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: A320M-S2H v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Gigabyte model: A320M-S2H-CF v: x.x serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI-[Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F23 date: 08/08/2018

I cannot configure the music library to monitor either a portable hard drive or a Synology 216J NAS using DSM 7.0.1.  Both are easily available in the files viewer in Mint, both can be accessed by Audacious and Deadbeef which I tried as alternatives.  But in Foobar nothing outside of my desktop is visible.

I did try the command line sudo snap connect foobar2000:removable-media as one help thread advised but to no avail.  Really want to keep FB2k as I use features on it I cannot find in other players.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I am minimally technical, sorry.

Re: Configure music library using external drive and NAS on Linux Mint

Reply #1
You might be better off installing a Windows version of FB2K (1.6 probably) into Wine.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Re: Configure music library using external drive and NAS on Linux Mint

Reply #2
I suspect this is a repeat.  I can find tantalising almost-answers even.  But no luck trying.  Having installed FB2k via snapd on the following system

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.7
    tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: A320M-S2H v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Gigabyte model: A320M-S2H-CF v: x.x serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI-[Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F23 date: 08/08/2018

I cannot configure the music library to monitor either a portable hard drive or a Synology 216J NAS using DSM 7.0.1.  Both are easily available in the files viewer in Mint, both can be accessed by Audacious and Deadbeef which I tried as alternatives.  But in Foobar nothing outside of my desktop is visible.

I did try the command line sudo snap connect foobar2000:removable-media as one help thread advised but to no avail.  Really want to keep FB2k as I use features on it I cannot find in other players.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I am minimally technical, sorry.

"sudo snap connect <applicattion name>:removable-media" should give the app access to any drive mounted in media/<your user>

If you want to give a SNAP package full access to your local system (e.g. /mnt) then you can use  --classic when installing the snap (Classic confinement for full system access)

The easiest way to avoid problems derived from snaps confinement is to install foobar2000 with wine in a normal prefix. this way you can access any file or folder your user can out of the box