Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed (Read 256527 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed

Reply #100
Lancer is probably packed with UPX or something and aoTuV is not.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304424"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lancer's DLL's are pretty big too, 3 meg unpacked, 450kb zipped. Beats me why they're that inflated.
Veni Vidi Vorbis.

Reply #101
Current Lancer (Archer) version is stable release? Why changed name of this tune?

Reply #102
The change of the name form Archer to Lancer is because it uses the AoTuV pre-beta 4, the Archer versions uses Beta 3... thats why the change of the name, or at least I suppose that... it is pretty stable but it maybe have various bugs to be fixed... and in the other hand it uses a pre-beta which maybe have some others problems...
JorSol
aoTuVb5 -q4

Reply #103
new version is out,
Lancer 20050621(Based on aotuv-b4_20050617)

Reply #104
Many thanks for the heads up. =)
Will test it out in a moment...

Reply #105
Almost a week has passed. Any test results?

Reply #106
Almost a week has passed. Any test results?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309178"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use it regularly without any problems (mostly q3 & q4), the speed is fantastic. Also I've noticed that it uses only about 90% CPU when running on my AMD 2700+ machine, as Archer spent full power.
Is there a difference between yes and no?

Reply #107
I use it regularly without any problems (mostly q3 & q4), the speed is fantastic. Also I've noticed that it uses only about 90% CPU when running on my AMD 2700+ machine, as Archer spent full power.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309198"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ooh.  That probably implies that it's fast enough that it's actually sometimes blocking on IO.  Impressive!

Reply #108
Almost a week has passed. Any test results?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309178"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, compared to the Lancer that uses aoTuV pre-beta 4, no real noticeable difference.
U might wanna check that out a few posts (or pages?) back about previous Lancer's performance.
To the Archer, it's just like Josef said.

Anyway, the speed gain (from the auTuVb4 compiles found in Rarewares.org) on slower PIII systems is adequate.
(I tested it on a PIII 600MHz)
No numbers yet (since I kinda forgot...), but I think it was about 1.15x to 1.30x faster.
As always, cmiiw. =)

Reply #109
From http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_features.html

For the P3, Intel skimped somewhat on the implementation, using only a two-wide ALU, so the average performance of SSE and 3DNow will be the same - I've constructed sequences of instructions which are faster on 3DNow. It's possible they'll use a four-wide one on later chips, which would make SSE roughly twice as fast as 3DNow.

This is also why P3's are notoriously poor on certain games such as UT2003/4.
Veni Vidi Vorbis.

Reply #111
Just tried the latest version to replace the built in Foobar and it's well over twice as fast, especially when converting from FLAC. Amazing! 

Reply #112
Just finished a test with besweet. Encoding time dropped from 1:54 to 1:13 (mins:secs).

Reply #114
I have a question. Will Lancer and P-III optimized (from rarewares.org) versions work and have any gain on Celeron 128kb cache (not Tualatin)?
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #115
I have a question. Will Lancer and P-III optimized (from rarewares.org) versions work and have any gain on Celeron 128kb cache (not Tualatin)?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only if your Celeron support SSE.... try to use a program like [a href="http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php]cpuz[/url] to see if it have SSE instruction.
JorSol
aoTuVb5 -q4

Reply #116
Got a question guys
I did some encodings with foobar0.8.3 and about 25 different songs,using built in vorbis which is 1.1 and using lancer which is merged 111 and aotuvb4 and im getting increase on all samples by 5-10% in size,actuaally  20 samples were 10% and rest was between5-10%.It was a classic rock songs,using p4 and xp-sp2.
It is a quite faster which is nice,but what confusing me is that on beginning of the thread all tests shows the same bitrate-i encoded at q5  everything was default from foobar

Reply #117
By 'built-in', did u mean the official vorbis libraries?
The difference is probably caused by the different tunings used.
The official one doesn't use AoTuV b4 tunings yet.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](is it still b2 or something...? I forgot...)[/span]

Reply #118
By 'built-in', did u mean the official vorbis libraries?
The difference is probably caused by the different tunings used.
The official one doesn't use AoTuV b4 tunings yet.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](is it still b2 or something...? I forgot...)[/span]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325060"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I meant the one which comes by default in foobar allready configured in diskwriter
mrq and foobar reports it as 1.1.
Both were encoded with default preferencies-q5 and no other parametars

Reply #119
The bitrate difference you're seeing is aotuv vs 1.1, lancer may change bitrates compared to the regular aotuv, but only by a tiny bit.
Veni Vidi Vorbis.

Reply #120
I meant the one which comes by default in foobar allready configured in diskwriter
mrq and foobar reports it as 1.1.
Both were encoded with default preferencies-q5 and no other parametars
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325272"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly.
I don't think that version (1.1.0) already use AoTuV b4 tunings.
So if the resulting file size difference is quite big, it's probably 'cause of different tunings used.

Reply #121
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only if your Celeron support SSE.... try to use a program like [a href="http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php]cpuz[/url] to see if it have SSE instruction.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325044"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, CPUZ says my CPU has SSE, I tried 'Lancer oggenc' and it is realy faster than P-III compile. 
However I also tried 'Lancer OggDropXPd' and it doesn't work. 
When I drop wav's in it nothing happens. Does anybody know why?
My PC is Intel Celeron 1000 MHz (not Tualatin) with Windows 98SE. If anybody have Windows 98SE installed - please check - does 'Lancer OggDropXPd' work?
Thanks.
Speex for speech

Reply #122
My PC is Intel Celeron 1000 MHz (not Tualatin) with Windows 98SE.

Try these updates...

Reply #123
Nice speed incrase here on AMD x2 4400+ 

aoTuVb4 - no enhancements (oggenc)
File length:  72m 28.0s
Elapsed time: 5m 07.0s
Rate:        14.1643
Average bitrate: 192.2 kb/s

aoTuVb4 - SEE version
(oggenc2)
Elapsed time: 4m 16.0s
Rate:        16.9861

aoTuVb4 - SEE2 version (oggenc2)
Elapsed time: 3m 30.0s
Rate:        20.7068

lancer20050709 (oggenc2)
File length:  72m 28.00s
Elapsed time: 2m 3.66s
Rate:        35.1655

Reply #124
Is this optimizing done via implementing SSE and SSE2 only, or also via assembling some parts of code?
Can such optimizing work be done with Ogg Vorbis decoder?
Speex for speech