Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TOSLink -> 3x 3.5mm jack converter? (Read 10008 times) previous topic - next topic

TOSLink -> 3x 3.5mm jack converter?

Hello,

I have a pair of Roccat Kave headphones with their 4x3.5mm jacks (mic + 5.1 sound) which I want to be able to use with my PS3.
The problem is that I don't want to have my PC running at the same time (to route the audio over my soundcard to the headset) and since the PS3 doesn't have any other way to output surround audio, I guess I need a TOSLink -> 3x3.5mm converter of some sort.

I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything, so my question is, do they even exist? If yes, do you know of any affordable solutions (preferably available in EU/Germany)?
Is there maybe another way? I guess the biggest problem is that the PS3 doesn't really accept many USB soundcards, if any at all.

I'm not really interested in getting the mic to work... but sound would be really nice.

Reply #1
Perhaps something that can do toslink to rca (a quick google search revealed this), and then some simple cables that do rca to 3.5 mm (can be gotten off of ebay for a few bucks each normally).
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

Reply #2
Hello,

I have a pair of Roccat Kave headphones with their 4x3.5mm jacks (mic + 5.1 sound) which I want to be able to use with my PS3.
The problem is that I don't want to have my PC running at the same time (to route the audio over my soundcard to the headset) and since the PS3 doesn't have any other way to output surround audio, I guess I need a TOSLink -> 3x3.5mm converter of some sort.

I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything, so my question is, do they even exist? If yes, do you know of any affordable solutions (preferably available in EU/Germany)?
Is there maybe another way? I guess the biggest problem is that the PS3 doesn't really accept many USB soundcards, if any at all.

I'm not really interested in getting the mic to work... but sound would be really nice.

What you need is a surround adapter that converts the optical surround signal into separate analog channels. This is a standard function of a surround receiver. There are also surround adaptors that convert optical to analog audio, but few if any of them have their own headphone amplifiers. You'd end up with one of them with a bunch of headphone amps plugged into it.

Reply #3
There is another adapter at Sewell Direct that does have the ouputs needed: http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-51-DTSDolby...35mm-Output.asp

What you need is a surround adapter that converts the optical surround signal into separate analog channels. This is a standard function of a surround receiver.

Not anymore. Only the higher-end, expensive modern receivers have line level multichannel analog outputs nowadays.

Reply #4
There is another adapter at Sewell Direct that does have the ouputs needed: http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-51-DTSDolby...35mm-Output.asp

Good find, you two.

That's a nifty little product, but as far as I can tell the outputs are fixed and there's of course no test tone generator in it. I don't know about the OP, but that would be a slight problem for my applications... I guess one could find a test disk with 5.1 pink noise and do one's level calibrating down stream, but otherwise it seems pretty cool for the size and price.

Reply #5
It's pretty trivial to find a 5.1 test online though, and you can even just make up one in Audacity. I myself didn't know that there were still separate DD/DTS decoders available. I've seen people stress their brains out trying to get their computer's SPDIF input to decode DD/DTS because they didn't want to purchase a whole receiver. I'm wondering how the OP is doing it, or if he just thinks he can do it.

In the early years of 5.1/6.1/7.1 speaker kits for computers there were some decoders available. I got mine for free with the purchase of a 6.1 Cambridge Soundworks kit. Creative used to make pretty interesting products those days.

Reply #6
Thank you for the replies. That box looks like what I need, except for not having a volume control.
As far as I understand, all my headphone's volume control is doing is sending a signal to in/decrease the volume to windows, so it probably won't work with the ps3...

Test tone generator? o_O
I only have basic needs in this case, so I can live without it.

I also found this one http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/x-ta...nd-control-unit
But it also doesn't have a built-in volume control... looks like I'm out of luck =/

Reply #7
I think it's unlikely that your headphone is sending signals to Windows if it has the analog connections, unless it also has USB which would seem pretty unnecessary considering that it's already connecting via analog. That box you found doesn't have DTS decoding. You can probably get away with it if you're just playing games, but for some DVD or blu-ray with DTS tracks I don't know if the PS3 can transcode to DD. Even if it does, with DVD DTS tracks you'll be doing a lossy -> lossy conversion. With blu-ray, maybe it could decode the HD track losslessly and then convert to DD.

Reply #8
I think it's unlikely that your headphone is sending signals to Windows if it has the analog connections, unless it also has USB which would seem pretty unnecessary considering that it's already connecting via analog.

Yes, it does have an USB connector, so.. yeah. It needs the USB to power it's "amplifier" box and I just realized i can use the sliders for front/center/back/sub to control the volume, so I'll probably give that box you and Hengest found. I think it's kinda funny the actual volume control of these headphones only replicates a computer function

edit: the only problem now is getting it... the only German shop I found it at wants 82€ for it x_x

Reply #9
I don't think it's sending signals to Windows, it just uses the USB for power, but the box should work the same, cause the headphones' amp has its own volume. You'll need to connect the USB to a power source though, the PS3's USB port might do that.

Reply #10

What you need is a surround adapter that converts the optical surround signal into separate analog channels. This is a standard function of a surround receiver.

Not anymore. Only the higher-end, expensive modern receivers have line level multichannel analog outputs nowadays.

Harman AVR 2600 for $349

Seems to have analog outputs for a not-unreasonable price.

Reply #11
personally i think if there was a adapter of some sort which you had the 5.1 sound in 3.5mm jacks which would be 5 of them going into computer but on otherside forming into one 3.5mm jack female/male so we can connect into 3.5mmjack to Rcb/Rca what ever it is so we can connect into amp... Problem solved just need an manifacture to see this lol, still charge us a £100 for it lol because i have had enough of all this rip of charges and for what a stupid box.... which connects from a computer to amp.... all you need is a tenners worth of cable and connectors and there you have it! So for 5.1 sound.... You need 3 connectors of 3.5mm jack with the otherside of the lead going into 1 connector 3.5mm jack into a 3.5mm jack coverter to Rca/Rcb phono red and white loooool but still they earn loads and loads of money i hope some big boss or Ceo is reading this so they can do it and to save money not just that these boxes are like a £100 each..where my idea is worth £10 and could still be sold for £30 if wanted and your still earning profit where with the box so many things have been put in, even stuff we dont need lol i wonder why they are soo expensive and they probs aint even earning anything!

Reply #12
I've just worked out how to do!!!!!!!! follow these steps get 3 times of 3.5mm jack leads for the Front Right/Left and Rear Right/Left and Sub/Cen... with the Three leads cut one side of each one and exspose the wire inside the plastic jacket and twist all exsposed wire of all three together into one and get a connector block and put them in and screw down so there gonna work properly and get a 3.5mm jack converter to RCA which is two red/White and get the jack side and cut off and exspose the wire too and twist and screw into connector block and circuit should be complete you should have 3x(3.5mm Jack) For Your Computer Leading into RCA Red/White For Your Amp! There problem solved not gonna bother buying a box now imma do my way and save aload of money!!

Reply #13
I'm not sure what just happened, but I don't think it was related to the OP.