Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio production on iPad? (Read 2597 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio production on iPad?

Hey, I just got an iPad mini retina, and I've been eyeing some apps for recording.

Auria apparently works with my Zoom H6 as an interface, and some users are reporting at their forums that the H6 actually works in 6-in mode, contrary to the claims of the manual.

There are two versions, Auria ($50) and Auria LE ($25).

Another app which competes seems to be Cubasis, but haven't looked too much into that one.

I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with any of these apps, or with audio production on iOS in general. I know the closed system can make it a pain to share files, or at least vastly more inconvenient than something you could easily do on Android (the app Audiobus would be completely unnecessary for instance), so is there anything else that I should be weary about, before spending $50?

I don't really need all the channels that Auria offers over Auria LE, nor the higher-than-44.1kHz option. There is a comparison chart at the end of this page, but I don't understand what most of the other extra options mean. I just want to be able to record, adjust levels, do some effects like reverb, and if necessary export the individual channels to the PC, maybe Audacity or Reaper if I decide to buy that.

Thanks.

Audio production on iPad?

Reply #1
I just want to be able to record, adjust levels, do some effects like reverb, and if necessary export the individual channels to the PC, maybe Audacity or Reaper if I decide to buy that.
Personally, I like a bigger screen, a keyboard, etc.  And if you are doing audio production you need good monitors (which are not so portable)    ...If you need something small, portable, and handy, maybe you can get some use out of an iPad.

There are people using iPads as an interface to their DAW or mixer, and I think it's mainly a "remote control" they can use while walking around in the studio or venue.

And there are mixers with iPad cradles, but I think it's just a "cool" way to a fancy touch screen interface to the mixer. 

As far as the digital signal processing, you can mix or create reverb etc. and that's "just math" and any "computing device" can do it.  But it may not be able to do it in real time, and your application may not have the features or tools you want, or be compatible with your favorite effect plug-ins.  I'm skeptical about their claim of 24-track simultanious recording.  People with computers sometimes have trouble recording that many tracks!    If you can do that with an iPad, the 24-track interface must be doing most of the "work".

As far as recording, the Zoom is probably a better option.  There are some nice iOS audio interfaces and microphones that plug into your iOS device to turn it into a portable recorder.    But, you already have a portable recorder. 

There are two versions, Auria ($50) and Auria LE ($25).
To me it looks like the LE version is mostly for recording.  If you are going to do mixing & editing, you might need more features & tools.